Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   KTM and Polaris: A Strategic Partnership (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2932-ktm-polaris-strategic-partnership.html)

mscuddy 07-19-2005 07:19 AM

Re: Polaris and KTM announce partnership

A Paris-to-Dakar 8 Ball? The mind reels....

BMW4VWW 07-19-2005 07:19 AM

Comming soon the new Duke Power Cruiser? The joining of KTM and Victory motorcycles certainly strikes me as an odd marrage. VWW

mts 07-19-2005 07:21 AM

KTM snowmobiles? Polaris dirtbikes? The mind reels!

Actually, will this make it easier to get KTM parts in America? Great idea!

nokneedragin 07-19-2005 07:46 AM

I don't know, this doesn't sound to bad. KTM gets a bigger exposure in the USA, Polaris gets a push in the EU. KTM is off road/hooligan type bike, polaris is power cruisers, watercraft, snowmobiles. No direct competition with each others lines. KTM gets more dealers and a bigger parts distribution network.

Polaris gets its broad line of product more European exposure.

Both brands get pretty good reviews, the only thing thats held them back (for me) is the lack of dealers.

This one might float.

First cross platform bike will be called the Polekat

blitz 07-19-2005 07:51 AM

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. Last Saturday,while trailering the Honda dirt bikes after a ride (my daughters, 8 & 10 years old, rode about 35 miles of technical single track, and 50 miles total, which I believe is more than sportbikebandit does on his Ninja, but i digress) through Wyoming, MN, the new home of Polaris R&D, I was thinking that Polaris ' next move will be dirtbikes. I was thinking that they'd develop their own, but this makes sense.

KTM is good stuff, but parts are ungodly expensive. KTM charged $170 for a clutch cover gasket and 6 fiber plates! Hopefully, Polaris will improve KTM logistically here, and we will all benefit. Actually, Victory bikes aren't so cheap. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

smithrob75 07-19-2005 07:53 AM

Actually the watercraft arm of Polaris went out of business.

Steven_Verschoor 07-19-2005 08:06 AM

Woo-hoo! I'll bet the Super Duke gets here sooner rather than later.

Tigercub 07-19-2005 08:19 AM

Great idea. Sounds good for KTM and Polaris both. I'd like to see Triumph do the same. Maybe hook up with MZ or develop their own offraod or dual purpose bikes.

Grover 07-19-2005 08:19 AM

I have a feeling this will probably have less impact on the motorcycles of the respective products and more impact on the ATV, snowmobile and watercraft areas.

Their motorcycle product lines compliment one another very well in that they are presently entirely distinct. It wouldn't make sense to join forces and then make a KTM cruiser or a Polaris motocrosser to compete with the existing product. Combining forces to develop a sweet-a$$ line of ATVs and snowmobiles however is an entirely different story, and one that definately has my interest piqued.

triumph900 07-19-2005 08:34 AM

Victory's (better) answer to Buell??