Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
12er
Founding Member

Read the sticky thread, buy a small beater standard and ride the wheels off of it. Sell it 6 months to a year from now for about what you paid. After putting some miles down decide if you want more or less handling.

When sitting on a cruiser imagine a 70 mph head wind and where the weight on your spine is. Then imagine jarring bumps hitting you where that weight is and the headwind pushing you back even more. Are your knees comfortably against the bike or splayed out, if splayed they are going to be blown out further.

Personally I am too tall to be comfortable on any cruiser Ive rode to date. While I have to do some extreme yoga to fold up on a sport bike I find them more comfortable as I can support my weight with my hands, butt and feet. Additionally the headwind I can lay in and it helps hold me up. Most cruisers force all my weight on my lower back and the headwind forces more. Then the limited travel of the suspension sends shockwaves up my lower spine.

My preference is for sport tourers or Dual Sports / Adventure bikes personally but thats more due to being 6'6".

Buy a older monster 620 / sv650 / vstrom 650 / ninja 250, 500, 650 / KLR 650, dr650, drz 400sm, etc. Cut your teeth on something cheap and preferably scratched (putting your first scratch / dent / destruction on your new bike is too painful, have someone else do it). Spend your money on good gear more so than your first bike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I can't wait for spring. I have a couple hour test ride on a 696 waiting for me. It's the first monster that I really like the ergos on other than the 800 SR2, the reach on those two felt good, to me.