Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Safety Equipment questions: (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/8467-safety-equipment-questions.html)

bigsteveg 06-16-2008 01:49 PM

Safety Equipment questions:

Newbie here. Took my first lesson Saturday....going to buy my Road King this afternoon. JUST KIDDING! I will heed the advice of the more seasoned and salted (but, hopefully, not cooked) members of this forum. Plan to start w/ some used Metric up to 6-750CC max. Prferrably a 350 I think. Depends on what I can find cheap. Anyhoo...I will buy a full face helmet, Jacket and boots pretty soon so I'm wondering what the favorite brands are and why you like them. Should I shy away from cheapos? I want the best possible saftey gear, but don't want to spend foolishly. Please clue me in.....Thanks!!!!

seruzawa 06-16-2008 02:25 PM

The very best is leather. However if you are traveling around at near legal speeds then textile is fine. I've got an old Joe Rocket Ballistic that won't seem to die for winter and an AGV mesh jacket for summer. Both were relatively inexpensive. I've got some First Gear pants but the zippers are a problem with those. Tour master makes pretty good pants, solid and mesh both.

For boots I use good old fashioned jump boots. They are inexpensive compared to the boots with "motorcycle" stamped on them and last longer than any other boot I've tried. Just don't get cleated soles.

bigsteveg 06-16-2008 02:38 PM

Will definitely look at pants as well.

bigsteveg 06-16-2008 02:39 PM

Will look at pants too.

sachiwilson 06-16-2008 02:56 PM

Don't ignore the need for pants. You don't want to have your kneecaps ground off in a slide.

mscuddy 06-16-2008 03:34 PM

A 16th Century suit of armor is needed if you ride in Los Angeles, or a full coverage helmet that's big enough to cover your entire body. If you get hit by a SUV you might as well be wearing a swim suit and flip-flops, 'cause aint' nuthin' gonna hep you boy. Say hello to the spinal ward.

Kenneth_Moore 06-16-2008 03:53 PM

If you have a Cycle Gear store in your area, they have a house brand called "MotoBoss." It's pretty good stuff at cheap (I mean reasonable) prices. They also carry Icon and Rocket if you want to compare. I have mixed bag of whatever is on sale when I'm buying. If you buy from a dealer ask for a store credit as part of the deal; the dealer can give you $500 and their cost is obviously 30-60% of that.

sarnali2 06-17-2008 08:23 AM

Don't get the gloves with the faux carbon fibre knuckles, I hear they can shatter and get little bits stuck in your hands....

sachiwilson 06-17-2008 08:59 AM

I had a pair of Spidis with hard kevlar knuckle protectors. I took a tumble some time ago and one of the protectors got a dent. No sign of cracking. So some of those hard protectors can be good.

I replaced the gloves with a pair of Spidi's Carbo Six (silly name) racing glovs.

Buzglyd 06-17-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 187225)
If you have a Cycle Gear store in your area, they have a house brand called "MotoBoss." It's pretty good stuff at cheap (I mean reasonable) prices. They also carry Icon and Rocket if you want to compare. I have mixed bag of whatever is on sale when I'm buying. If you buy from a dealer ask for a store credit as part of the deal; the dealer can give you $500 and their cost is obviously 30-60% of that.

You just like walking around with Moto Boss stamped on your chest.

pushrod 06-17-2008 10:05 AM

BigSteve,

The gear will depend on where you live. Around here, in the steamy RedNeck Riviera, motorcycle pants are just not an option. Likewise, leather jackets.

I've got the original JR Phoenix jacket for the summer, and a Meteor for the winter (or, whenever it's below 60 degrees).

I have a pair of DeerTour gloves from LeeParksDesign that aren't cheap, but I luv 'em!

I wear 'chukka'- style boots; you'll want something that covers the ankles, preferably with padding. Make sure they have a sole that doesn't get slick on road gorp. And no leather soles, either.

Good luck, and have fun!

EDIT: Annnnnd, the clock is messed up again. It's 1211 now.

bigsteveg 06-17-2008 10:17 AM

NOt going to do much riding in town. LA really is a nightmare. Plan to do weekend riding for the most part. What about Kevlar v Cordura? Is it worth the extra $ for Kevlar?

sachiwilson 06-17-2008 11:21 AM

Steve, now that I know you're in LA (I'm in San Diego) I can tell a bit more what you may need. First off, make sure that whatever you get, leather or fabric, is perforated and (if possible) vented. If you're just poking around in city traffic, nothing much will help keep you cool(er), but once you're moving out on the roads, perforated leather or mesh fabric will help a lot. My suit is perforated leather, and I've ridden in 115º temps with, um, survivable comfort. yeah, that's it - survivable. :)

The thing about fabric (of any sort) is that the sliding protection is not going to be as good as leather. However, just about any fabric garment these days will have armor in all the impact areas, so you will get some protection. Fabric does tend to be a bit cooler than leather, even when the leather is perforated. So if you tend to run hot, look for mesh fabric.

sachiwilson 06-17-2008 11:21 AM

Steve, now that I know you're in LA (I'm in San Diego) I can tell a bit more what you may need. First off, make sure that whatever you get, leather or fabric, is perforated and (if possible) vented. If you're just poking around in city traffic, nothing much will help keep you cool(er), but once you're moving out on the roads, perforated leather or mesh fabric will help a lot. My suit is perforated leather, and I've ridden in 115º temps with, um, survivable comfort. yeah, that's it - survivable. :)

The thing about fabric (of any sort) is that the sliding protection is not going to be as good as leather. However, just about any fabric garment these days will have armor in all the impact areas, so you will get some protection. Fabric does tend to be a bit cooler than leather, even when the leather is perforated. So if you tend to run hot, look for mesh fabric.

pushrod 06-17-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 187282)
What? You live in LA and can't decide between Codura and Kevlar? It should be self-evident. Ceramic plate would be best.

Good point!

Just a tip: The 'Ballistic' tags on the Joe Rocket togs have nothing to do with projectiles. Actually, I've always wondered what it does apply to.

seruzawa 06-17-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsteveg (Post 187274)
NOt going to do much riding in town. LA really is a nightmare. Plan to do weekend riding for the most part. What about Kevlar v Cordura? Is it worth the extra $ for Kevlar?

What? You live in LA and can't decide between Codura and Kevlar? It should be self-evident. Ceramic plate would be best.

12er 06-17-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 187269)
BigSteve,

The gear will depend on where you live. Around here, in the steamy RedNeck Riviera, motorcycle pants are just not an option. Likewise, leather jackets.

I've got the original JR Phoenix jacket for the summer, and a Meteor for the winter (or, whenever it's below 60 degrees).

I have a pair of DeerTour gloves from LeeParksDesign that aren't cheap, but I luv 'em!

I wear 'chukka'- style boots; you'll want something that covers the ankles, preferably with padding. Make sure they have a sole that doesn't get slick on road gorp. And no leather soles, either.

Good luck, and have fun!

EDIT: Annnnnd, the clock is messed up again. It's 1211 now.

I will back you up on the Lee Parks deersports, best gloves Ive ever had the pleasure of riding with. $100 isnt cheap but worth every penny.

seruzawa 06-17-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 187290)
Good point!

Just a tip: The 'Ballistic' tags on the Joe Rocket togs have nothing to do with projectiles. Actually, I've always wondered what it does apply to.

Actually it does. When squidly goes flying off his gixxer he travels through a ballistic curve. The curve goes down but it still is a ballistic path.

sarnali2 06-17-2008 06:17 PM

Hmmmm....

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 187307)
Actually it does. When squidly goes flying off his gixxer he travels through a ballistic curve. The curve goes down but it still is a ballistic path.

I would think it was more a trajectory than a ballistic curve. I would consider something as being ballistic to have a flat trajectory, while a proper gixxer flip would have a plottable and repeatable apogee/perigee contrast coefficient and impact point.....

Splitting hairs, I realize but we want to be precise here....

BadGun 01-20-2009 01:00 PM

Question and comment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 187290)
Good point!

Not to seem like a "know it all", but I infer the ballistic relates back to the origional/first "bullet proof vest" that was made of the brand new material, nylon. Remember, this was in the first few decades of the previous century, or the gangster era, where most handgun calibers were small and carried lower energy. The balistic nylon could stop most hand gun calibers of the time. That is, until the 357 magnum was produced. IDK if this is what they meant by ballistic? Perhaps there is a correlation.

Gentlemen and ladies,
I know, generally, a jack of all trades is a master of none; however, is there a pant out there that is decent for winter riding on a cruiser and fast riding on a sport bike? Please be frank, or jack...whatever you prefer.

The_AirHawk 01-20-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadGun (Post 201811)
Gentlemen and ladies,
I know, generally, a jack of all trades is a master of none; however, is there a pant out there that is decent for winter riding on a cruiser and fast riding on a sport bike? Please be frank, or jack...whatever you prefer.

Jack not Name - Jack Job....................

12er 01-20-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadGun (Post 201811)

Gentlemen and ladies,

Check out the Darian pants on aerostich's website. They are black so they are fashion forward for your cruiser and still offer decent protection on the old sport bike. Opt for the hip pads. Or better yet buy a two piece roadcrafter and call it a day.

sarnali2 01-20-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 201819)
Check our the Darian pants on aerostich's website. They are black so they are fashion forward for your cruiser and still offer decent protection on the old sport bike. Opt for the hip pads. Or better yet buy a two piece roadcrafter and call it a day.

Ditto on the Darien pants, I wear a Darien jacket and pants combo and I'd say they're the best around, in the cold weather I wear the Aerostitch fleece pants under them and just my boxers and I'm warm as toast. In summer I wear a pair of shorts under them or just my boxers and they're good up to around 75 or so then they get a little warm however they have thinner Darien Lights that are much better for hot weather.

BadGun 01-20-2009 02:02 PM

Thanks for the reply, Job. LOL. Do you carry anything in leather or can comment on decent leather pants?

Lisa11 01-20-2009 09:51 PM

hi

Safety is a big issue while driving. We should take all the precautions of safety while driving.

Lisa11

The_AirHawk 01-20-2009 10:34 PM

Hello Lisa, do you like to take long walks on the beach in the moonlight? Do you like Gladiator movies?

The_AirHawk 01-20-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 187255)
Don't get the gloves with the faux carbon fibre knuckles, I hear they can shatter and get little bits stuck in your hands....

Those TiMax gloves, in addition to being durable AND comfy make an impressive shower of white sparks on the pavement when you're sliding down hwy 279 at 60mph late at night.

But I wouldn't know anything about that.

sarnali2 01-21-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 201909)
Those TiMax gloves, in addition to being durable AND comfy make an impressive shower of white sparks on the pavement when you're sliding down hwy 279 at 60mph late at night.

But I wouldn't know anything about that.

did you know titanium is the hottest burning metal?..maybe it's magnesium.. Those white sparks are probably 1000* hotter than the yellow sparks you get off your centerstand when you push it down onto the freeway at night to f'k with cagers..

trenttheuncatchable 01-21-2009 09:24 AM

He (and anyone else researching gear) should look at the webbikeworld site, and check out their motorcycle gear reviews.

Kenneth_Moore 01-21-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 201908)
Hello Lisa, do you like to take long walks on the beach in the moonlight? Do you like Gladiator movies?

You're going to invite her to join the Secret Elite Club, aren't you? Everybody in the Secret Elite Club wears those Darien pants. That's how you can tell they're in the Secret Elite Club. I HATE Darien pants. I have Recon pants. Recon pants people have their own Secret Elite Club. HAHAHAHA!

The_AirHawk 01-21-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 201936)
did you know titanium is the hottest burning metal?..maybe it's magnesium.. Those white sparks are probably 1000* hotter than the yellow sparks you get off your centerstand when you push it down onto the freeway at night to f'k with cagers..

Well, the melting-point of Ti is 1930deg K, with Mg showing 923deg K (just below Al @ 933deg K), but I know that the temperature something melts at is not-necessarily the same temp it emits under exothermic oxidization............

sarnali2 01-21-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 201960)
You're going to invite her to join the Secret Elite Club, aren't you? Everybody in the Secret Elite Club wears those Darien pants. That's how you can tell they're in the Secret Elite Club. I HATE Darien pants. I have Recon pants. Recon pants people have their own Secret Elite Club. HAHAHAHA!

Hey Recon pants are cool too K-K-Ken, I know a lot of fa...er...I mean people who wear them, really...the little rainbow thingy on the back of your Subaru's looks cool too, and there's a lot more of you que...um...I mean "club members" around these days wearing your Recon pants and those cool looking mesh tee shirts ....

The_AirHawk 01-21-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 201960)

I've just got an old set of Joe Rocket pants - the mesh ones, can't recall the model-name right now.

Kenneth_Moore 01-21-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 201970)
Hey Recon pants are cool too K-K-Ken, I know a lot of fa...er...I mean people who wear them, really...the little rainbow thingy on the back of your Subaru's looks cool too, and there's a lot more of you que...um...I mean "club members" around these days wearing your Recon pants and those cool looking mesh tee shirts ....

Homophobia just isn't funny anymore, Snarli. Especially since yesterday.

BadGun 01-21-2009 11:16 AM

Guys, rainbow? I don't think I need to go there; however, I am hung up on leather. I will not be buying the leather G-string anytime in the near future, however. What I am looking for is a full leather pant with, at minimun, knee and hip armor. I appreciate the ample input. I do take long walks on the beach...that is, after getting there on a motorcycle and only with the opposite sex.

sarnali2 01-21-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 201973)
Homophobia just isn't funny anymore, Snarli. Especially since yesterday.

it was my birthday and I was drunk on my butt, besides I didn't know it was a guy....

Kenneth_Moore 01-21-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 201981)
it was my birthday and I was drunk on my butt, besides I didn't know it was a guy....

It was Brian Bosworth, wasn't it? Well, I guess if he had that thong on and stuff it's understandable. Say 12 Hail Marys tonight. Lettuce Spray.

The_AirHawk 01-21-2009 11:59 AM

A man and his new girlfriend met in a Motel room and had wild sex for hours and hours. In-between love-sessions, she would fondle and scratch his boys for him, which he totally loved.

After one session, he asked her about it - "Not that I'm complaining, but why do you do that? Exactly what is your fascination with my Jewels?"

"Oh," she replied, "I just miss mine sometimes.............."

seruzawa 01-21-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 201908)

Cripes. Do we have to chain you up again?

BadGun 01-21-2009 12:20 PM

You guys are off the hook!!!