Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
pushrod
Founding Member

BigSteve,

The gear will depend on where you live. Around here, in the steamy RedNeck Riviera, motorcycle pants are just not an option. Likewise, leather jackets.

I've got the original JR Phoenix jacket for the summer, and a Meteor for the winter (or, whenever it's below 60 degrees).

I have a pair of DeerTour gloves from LeeParksDesign that aren't cheap, but I luv 'em!

I wear 'chukka'- style boots; you'll want something that covers the ankles, preferably with padding. Make sure they have a sole that doesn't get slick on road gorp. And no leather soles, either.

Good luck, and have fun!

EDIT: Annnnnd, the clock is messed up again. It's 1211 now.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by pushrod; 06-17-2008 at 10:10 AM..
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #12
bigsteveg
Registered Member

NOt going to do much riding in town. LA really is a nightmare. Plan to do weekend riding for the most part. What about Kevlar v Cordura? Is it worth the extra $ for Kevlar?
bigsteveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
sachiwilson

Steve, now that I know you're in LA (I'm in San Diego) I can tell a bit more what you may need. First off, make sure that whatever you get, leather or fabric, is perforated and (if possible) vented. If you're just poking around in city traffic, nothing much will help keep you cool(er), but once you're moving out on the roads, perforated leather or mesh fabric will help a lot. My suit is perforated leather, and I've ridden in 115º temps with, um, survivable comfort. yeah, that's it - survivable.

The thing about fabric (of any sort) is that the sliding protection is not going to be as good as leather. However, just about any fabric garment these days will have armor in all the impact areas, so you will get some protection. Fabric does tend to be a bit cooler than leather, even when the leather is perforated. So if you tend to run hot, look for mesh fabric.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
sachiwilson

Steve, now that I know you're in LA (I'm in San Diego) I can tell a bit more what you may need. First off, make sure that whatever you get, leather or fabric, is perforated and (if possible) vented. If you're just poking around in city traffic, nothing much will help keep you cool(er), but once you're moving out on the roads, perforated leather or mesh fabric will help a lot. My suit is perforated leather, and I've ridden in 115º temps with, um, survivable comfort. yeah, that's it - survivable.

The thing about fabric (of any sort) is that the sliding protection is not going to be as good as leather. However, just about any fabric garment these days will have armor in all the impact areas, so you will get some protection. Fabric does tend to be a bit cooler than leather, even when the leather is perforated. So if you tend to run hot, look for mesh fabric.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
What? You live in LA and can't decide between Codura and Kevlar? It should be self-evident. Ceramic plate would be best.

Good point!

Just a tip: The 'Ballistic' tags on the Joe Rocket togs have nothing to do with projectiles. Actually, I've always wondered what it does apply to.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteveg View Post
NOt going to do much riding in town. LA really is a nightmare. Plan to do weekend riding for the most part. What about Kevlar v Cordura? Is it worth the extra $ for Kevlar?
What? You live in LA and can't decide between Codura and Kevlar? It should be self-evident. Ceramic plate would be best.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
BigSteve,

The gear will depend on where you live. Around here, in the steamy RedNeck Riviera, motorcycle pants are just not an option. Likewise, leather jackets.

I've got the original JR Phoenix jacket for the summer, and a Meteor for the winter (or, whenever it's below 60 degrees).

I have a pair of DeerTour gloves from LeeParksDesign that aren't cheap, but I luv 'em!

I wear 'chukka'- style boots; you'll want something that covers the ankles, preferably with padding. Make sure they have a sole that doesn't get slick on road gorp. And no leather soles, either.

Good luck, and have fun!

EDIT: Annnnnd, the clock is messed up again. It's 1211 now.
I will back you up on the Lee Parks deersports, best gloves Ive ever had the pleasure of riding with. $100 isnt cheap but worth every penny.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Good point!

Just a tip: The 'Ballistic' tags on the Joe Rocket togs have nothing to do with projectiles. Actually, I've always wondered what it does apply to.
Actually it does. When squidly goes flying off his gixxer he travels through a ballistic curve. The curve goes down but it still is a ballistic path.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Actually it does. When squidly goes flying off his gixxer he travels through a ballistic curve. The curve goes down but it still is a ballistic path.
I would think it was more a trajectory than a ballistic curve. I would consider something as being ballistic to have a flat trajectory, while a proper gixxer flip would have a plottable and repeatable apogee/perigee contrast coefficient and impact point.....

Splitting hairs, I realize but we want to be precise here....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
BadGun
Registered Member

Default Question and comment.

Quote:
Good point!

Not to seem like a "know it all", but I infer the ballistic relates back to the origional/first "bullet proof vest" that was made of the brand new material, nylon. Remember, this was in the first few decades of the previous century, or the gangster era, where most handgun calibers were small and carried lower energy. The balistic nylon could stop most hand gun calibers of the time. That is, until the 357 magnum was produced. IDK if this is what they meant by ballistic? Perhaps there is a correlation.

Gentlemen and ladies,
I know, generally, a jack of all trades is a master of none; however, is there a pant out there that is decent for winter riding on a cruiser and fast riding on a sport bike? Please be frank, or jack...whatever you prefer.
BadGun is offline   Reply With Quote