Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
alohajonas
Registered Member

Default Help to pick my second bike

Hi all! I have been riding for about a year now on my first and only bike a 2002 Ninja 500R. It has been a great bike but I am now ready to trade up. I like the sport handling of my Ninja but I want my new bike for longer rides (perhaps weekend trips) and some city driving. I live in the California bay area so riding all year is not a problem. I probably want some space for cargo (i.e. lockable trunk) and the ability to bring a passenger.

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have!

Thanks,

Jonas
alohajonas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
vermicious
Registered Member

Honda Interceptor has an upright position, sport styling/handling and reasonable hard luggage capacity. A Triumph Speed Triple would be a good bet as well though you might have to go third party to accessorize it fully.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If you don't mind the snickering and laughing behind your back (and to your face!) look at a PC-800. It is the epitomy of "locking trunk" - look up those words in an English Concordance, there'll be a pic of a PC next to the definition..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk; 10-28-2007 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Stupid-arse word-Nanny doesn't like the alternate word for "snickering"
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Bandit 1250. Do anything.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
If you look at a PC-800. It is the epitomy of "locking trunk"
Oh yeah - don't drop your keys in, then slam the trunk-lid closed. It is a Royal Bytch getting it open to retrieve them.........

(don't ask me how I know this.)

(that's a Warning.)

(seriously - it's not funny, STOP LAUGHING!)

(no, it wasn't My Bike..........)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Oh yeah - don't drop your keys in, then slam the trunk-lid closed. It is a Royal Bytch getting it open to retrieve them.........

(don't ask me how I know this.)

(that's a Warning.)

(seriously - it's not funny, STOP LAUGHING!)

(no, it wasn't My Bike..........)

No, no man, we're not laughing WITH you, we're laughing AT you.....so, honestly...were you wearing tight leather pants while you bent over the trunk "looking for your keys"?...(snork)... sorry.....

Any rate.. The Bandit is an excellent choice, the new Versy is supposed to be pretty capable or the 650 Ninja...a used R1150R BMW is about as versitle as you can get for adding and removing bags, trunk and windshield. An FZ1 would be fun...599 or 919 Honda's a pretty good choice...

Lottsa' choices out there. Stay away from full on sportbikes if you want versatility

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It seems like you've described the Sport Touring catagory in your needs/wants description. That brings four bikes to mind immediately, there are certainly others: Honda ST1100, Yamaha FJR, Kawi Concours 1k or 14k, and the Triumph Sprint ST. You can get a nice pre-owned version of any of them for well under $10k.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Default And the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It seems like you've described the Sport Touring catagory in your needs/wants description. That brings four bikes to mind immediately, there are certainly others: Honda ST1100, Yamaha FJR, Kawi Concours 1k or 14k, and the Triumph Sprint ST. You can get a nice pre-owned version of any of them for well under $10k.
...Bandit. Don't forget the Bandit makes a nice sport tourer too and is a lot lighter than the Honda. Well, almost anything is lighter than the Honda. Even a Dyna Glide is lighter than the Honda.

Last edited by seruzawa; 10-28-2007 at 12:35 PM..
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
...Bandit. Don't forget the Bandit makes a nice sport tourer too and is a lot lighter than the Honda. Well, almost anything is lighter than the Honda. Even a Dyna Glide is lighter than the Honda.
Yeah, and the Honda looks really cheezy. I sat on a brand new one at the local dealer. The Kawi, Triumph, and Yamaha beat them hands down on overall impression of quality, fit, and finish. I'm sure they run well, but so what?

Bandito, you say? Hmm, you could get a giant sombrero, wear a bandanna across your face, and sneer at the gringos over the top of your cheap cigar as you blow by them in traffic.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Default That's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yeah, and the Honda looks really cheezy. I sat on a brand new one at the local dealer. The Kawi, Triumph, and Yamaha beat them hands down on overall impression of quality, fit, and finish. I'm sure they run well, but so what?

Bandito, you say? Hmm, you could get a giant sombrero, wear a bandanna across your face, and sneer at the gringos over the top of your cheap cigar as you blow by them in traffic.
It would give me a chance to wear my crossed ammo belts and tie my Marlin on my back!

I have to chuckle at today's bike buyers. Somehow people think that if they want to go sport touring they have to buy a proprietary design. Bandits, ZReX's, SV's, T100s... any can be a sport tourer with a set of bags.