Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Dirty Mac
Registered Member

Default Sliders

What do you guys think of frame sliders? I'd like to save my bike if I drop it but I'm wondering if frame sliders actually work.
Dirty Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

What bike are you talking about?

I don't think I've ever seen where sliders harm the bike, unless they manage to break the frame where they attach; transferring the shock of impact.

However, if you price the plastic they protect, you'll be more likely to take that chance.

(As a note- a buddy just bought a cherry '05 Boxer Cup Replika. Curious, he looked into crash costs. The belly pan alone costs $2200(!))

Then there is the theory that if you have the sliders, you won't drop the bike.

Cheap 'insurance,' methinks.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Dirty Mac
Registered Member

I bought a 2006 Yamaha FZ6. I was worried about whether they are likely to break the frame. I am also wondering if they are a safety hazard since they would sit right in front of my shins.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

They do work and are effective at minimizing damage. Mostly, it's a matter of taste and I guess in your case- comfort. Check out case guards if the sliders stick out too far. That may resolve your issue with location.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Well-designed sliders can save you a lot of money in plastic body panels if you drop the bike.

An alternative is crash bars. Bikes with standard frames can use crash bars (aka:engine guards"), that put a simple tube of steel outward from the frame's downtubes.

For "ADV" type bikes, you can get pretty exotic setups that will provide extreme protection. TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards (BMW F650GS & F650GS/Dakar, '00-'07 & G650GS, '09-) - SBL.07.101.100
There is a downside in weight and difficulty in servicing the bike after installation. Not all bikes will have them available; as this type of guard is usually made for offroad work.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Dirty Mac
Registered Member

Sliders ordered!