Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #41
ShawnKing
Registered Member
 
ShawnKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
WTF is "managing the power band?"
LOL As a (relatively) new rider, I may be describing it wrong.

The Shadow required me to make sure I was in the right gear and the right revs in order to produce power.

For example, I was entering the interstate on the Shadow and a semi was in the right hand lane. I twisted the throttle to get ahead of the semi and.....nothing....

I was in fifth gear and the bike needed/wanted to be in 4th in order to get up and go.

Unlike my FJR which seems to have plenty of juice at *all* times!
__________________
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ShawnKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #42
SmokeU
Registered Member
 
SmokeU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: pet****...pet****...pet****
Posts: 1,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKing View Post
LOL As a (relatively) new rider, I may be describing it wrong.

The Shadow required me to make sure I was in the right gear and the right revs in order to produce power.

For example, I was entering the interstate on the Shadow and a semi was in the right hand lane. I twisted the throttle to get ahead of the semi and.....nothing....

I was in fifth gear and the bike needed/wanted to be in 4th in order to get up and go.

Unlike my FJR which seems to have plenty of juice at *all* times!

I know what you're saying, but it seems it was more of a n00b mistake not knowing how to work a manual transmission.
__________________
Pretending to be purple on the inside.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
I know what you're saying, but it seems it was more of a n00b mistake not knowing how to work a manual transmission.
Maybe, but I gotta defend SK a bit here. A Shadow750 has a pretty lackluster engine. You'd expect a cruiser to have a wide powerband. It kind of does but it just doesn't have any excess power to begin with. Something like 35 or 40 so. And it weighs like 600 pounds stock. I could see it being a real dog under a big heavy rider.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #44
SmokeU
Registered Member
 
SmokeU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: pet****...pet****...pet****
Posts: 1,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Maybe, but I gotta defend SK a bit here. A Shadow750 has a pretty lackluster engine. You'd expect a cruiser to have a wide powerband. It kind of does but it just doesn't have any excess power to begin with. Something like 35 or 40 so. And it weighs like 600 pounds stock. I could see it being a real dog under a big heavy rider.

The 750 Spirit is more around 525 wet, but I do have to agree when you put it that way.
__________________
Pretending to be purple on the inside.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #45
ShawnKing
Registered Member
 
ShawnKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
I know what you're saying, but it seems it was more of a n00b mistake not knowing how to work a manual transmission.
Oh, it was *definitely* a new rider mistake. No question.
__________________
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ShawnKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #46
ShawnKing
Registered Member
 
ShawnKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I could see it being a real dog under a big heavy rider.
Yeah - at the time, I weighed 260+lbs. If the bike was 525lbs, it really didn't have the *extra* juice to get me up to highway speeds quickly.

It was a fine bike (a buddy of mine had one to start and he loved it) but for a big guy who needed to also ride interstates, it wasn't suitable under those conditions.
__________________
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ShawnKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #47
SmokeU
Registered Member
 
SmokeU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: pet****...pet****...pet****
Posts: 1,864
Default

My first none basket case was a '94 Shadow VLX. It didn't have enough power to get out of its own way.
__________________
Pretending to be purple on the inside.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKing View Post
Yeah - at the time, I weighed 260+lbs. If the bike was 525lbs, it really didn't have the *extra* juice to get me up to highway speeds quickly.

It was a fine bike (a buddy of mine had one to start and he loved it) but for a big guy who needed to also ride interstates, it wasn't suitable under those conditions.
It lists at 525 pounds dry weight. Since Japanese listed dry weights are notorious fairy tales I figure the 600 pound wet weight is probably correct.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #49
SmokeU
Registered Member
 
SmokeU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: pet****...pet****...pet****
Posts: 1,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
It lists at 525 pounds dry weight. Since Japanese listed dry weights are notorious fairy tales I figure the 600 pound wet weight is probably correct.

I was quoting a 2001 test of the Spirit. I suppose the chain drive is lighter than the shaftie.
__________________
Pretending to be purple on the inside.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off