Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 11-10-2000, 07:01 AM   #11
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Biker Chick Reader Feedback

Dropping a bike happens to lots of people. Maybe women have it happen more because of short legs, and reduced strength. I know I've dropped bikes several times in my 3 years of riding. It mostly has to do with my height, and the fact that I don't touch the ground well both feet. Also my first bike was very top heavy, so once it started to tip, it was gone.

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2000, 07:04 AM   #12
stevegrab
Founding Member

Not Abe_Foreman, he's a god, he's never dropped his bike.

Glad to see another person admit that this happens. I've had a couple occasions where picking the bike up by myself was nearly impossible. One was turning around in a driveway. When the bike tipped over, it had the wheels up on the driveway, and the bike in the street. Making it very hard to get any leverage on the bike before meeting resistance. I did ask a passer by for help.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 08:16 AM   #13
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

On the contrary---- you can wait, and you will be doing it for a very long time. Do you live in Palm Beach? Gore was the THIRD choice. Right under Buchanan.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 08:26 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

No sir, I would attribute the fact that I haven't dropped a bike yet to the fact that I'm not an idiot. It isn't rocket science.

I'm not the only one with a perfect bike-dropping record either, as I said earlier. I guess I just happen to ride with the only perfect people in all of motorcycling!
Old 11-10-2000, 08:38 AM   #15
ZRXRy
Founding Member

I've had one honest low-speed tipover. It was with my Kawasaki Concours - nearly 700 lbs with a full 7.5 gal fuel tank - talk about top heavy. I was trying to get around a friend's car in his driveway, drove up onto the lawn and lost momentum, and was too far off the ground to get a foot down. When it came to rest, it was lying past horizontal, and there was not a chance of budging it - in fact I may have been stuck under it. I had to get my friend help me to lift it back vertical. I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs, so it can happen to anyone of any size. If you're smaller and thus, weaker, I can see where this could happen more easily. Even on a much smaller, lighter, shorter (seat height) bike, I can imagine a situation that could result in me dropping it.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 08:38 AM   #16
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I am not the most macho male. I like Deanna Carter and Selena. But when I *crashed* (yes, I am human) my 600, I certainly could pick it up. I can understand a girl's inablility to pick up a bike in most cases, but for crying out loud man! You're a man (or so you say!) Do you only ride (and drop) full-dress Harleys?

By the way, in spite of their apparent inability to keep the bike right-side-up (and I refuse to belive that there is no girl that can do that) I also love girls that ride sportbikes (although I have seen precious few.)
Old 11-12-2000, 01:42 PM   #17
jwest
Founding Member

I have to agree with stevegrab: you're a jerk. My wife rides a Ninja 250, but not because she's a wimp. The Ninja 250 is the only sportbike she can fit on, and she doesn't want to ride a cruiser.

It would certainly be nice if the manufacturers would wake up and realize that there are plenty of women who want to ride sportbikes but aren't tall enough for the current offerings.

BTW, I've ridden her bike many times and enjoy riding it almost as much as my own CBR600. The Ninja 250 is in no way a toy bike. It cruises at highway speeds comfortably, and it handles faster than just about any bike I've ever ridden.

-john

jwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2000, 05:04 PM   #18
CBR1000F
Founding Member

You said it Dude!!!
Old 11-13-2000, 11:44 AM   #19
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default I can relate to that...

Admittedly it was 36 years ago, I was a 85-pound-soaking-wet beanpole, and the machine was a 250cc Ducati thumper of uncertain vintage. During my first attempt at the land speed record for a normally aspirated rat bike in a plowed field, I found a boulder with an ice berg-like 10 percent showing. Front wheel was bent beyond the capacity to roll -- so I had to carry the front and drag the rear. I got back to the house around sunset. I can still hear my Mother screaming about the blood and my Dad laughing his ass off. If you're relatively small or weak, living with a motorcycle becomes an exercise in finesse and caution. Good on Airyn for not giving it up. Thank God I outgrew that crap.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2000, 04:12 PM   #20
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default Re: I can relate to that...

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor. Of course, this response assumes your insult threshold and IQ are normal. On second thought, I regret the assumption.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote