Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Indian News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/)
-   -   A Look At Who is Behind the 'New' Indian. (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/indian-news/4108-look-who-behind-new-indian.html)

vx49268 11-30-2006 02:04 AM

Re: A Look At Who is Behind the 'New' Indian.

Ahhh, First Post.

Time for another con man to fleece a bunch of dupe.

silentgrayfellow 11-30-2006 02:08 AM

Good luck to anyone who decides to buy one of these. Did any of you MOfos have a "new" Indian when they went under the last time?

longride 11-30-2006 03:36 AM

"They also moved Indian's headquarters from California to North Carolina, where they were offered tax incentives and could draw from a NASCAR skilled-labor pool."

I think that's enough incentive not to buy one right there. At least they will save on dental costs.

seruzawa 11-30-2006 03:41 AM

I was wondering how long it would take someone to catch that. A NASCAR skilled-labor pool is a good thing? How about just having a labor pool that believes that it needs to cooperate with management and build quality products? Think that might be better for them?

Neal 11-30-2006 04:10 AM

Yes..a NASCAR skilled labor pool is a good thing. No matter what you think of NASCAR racing,the quality of fabrication ofm the machines is excellent. And no matter what KPAUL thinks of southern red states,you'll find that the labor pool is more likely to believe in cooperating with management and build quality products than in some of the traditional manufacturing centers. Also some of these states are hungry for industry and are very business friendly.....if i was looking to start a manufacturing business,North carolina would rate high on my location list.

seruzawa 11-30-2006 04:16 AM

Yes, but aren't NASCAR workers too dizzy after a weekend of beer and redneck roundyround?

Plus, it takes a couple of days for the ol' hands to heal after pounding on the old lady each Saturday night.

And furthermore you can't get them to work overtime during the WWF season.

findangle 11-30-2006 04:37 AM

Dude.. are we related?

mscuddy 11-30-2006 04:48 AM

Re: A crook who is behind the 'New' Indian.

"They were offered tax incentives and could draw from a NASCAR skilled-labor pool."

Um, won't the skilled NASCAR pool people be working on, err, "cars"?

Why not move the plant to Bergen County, New Jersey, where they could draw on the skilled wise-guy labor pool.

"you gonna love the new Indian, or i'll bustya head open."

ikonoklass 11-30-2006 05:12 AM

Shoulda moved it to Springfield, MA. Instant cred.

SRMark 11-30-2006 05:24 AM

I want one with a nice Chris Craft tank and rear fender combo. Hows about an Amphi-Bike?

sarnali2 11-30-2006 05:26 AM

There's that swanky new E-H plant sitting there in Minnesota gathering dust Why don't they use that, it's all set up for cranking out rolling turds already. Just paint the name on the side of the tank and give everyone new coveralls....

save 'em a fortune.

Neal 11-30-2006 05:47 AM

LOL...cant argue with that unbiased ,well thought out cogent argument.

triumph900 11-30-2006 05:47 AM

NASCAR makes perfect sense. Push rods is push rods!

Patrick-of-the-Hills 11-30-2006 05:51 AM

First thought: Oh, not again....

Second: Harvard MBAs. Okay, not your first pick for two guys to run a bike company. (Wingtips aren't normal bike wear.) Then again, maybe they've got a bit more of a grip on things than, say, the Hanlon bros.

Third: Well, if they did good with Chris-Craft, then maybe this has potential. Do the lessons transfer from boat to bike? Can they make this all relevant?

Fourth: Do they need an advisor? I can send a resume.

priday 11-30-2006 05:59 AM

Anybody for another glass.......

Anybody for another glass.......

..... of HaterAid??? C'mon guys! All this Negativity! We have an chance that they are going to come outwith some truly unique stuff. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but it's never a bad thing when you have another company stepping in to the fray, ESPECIALLY when they will NEED to diferentiate themselves significantly in order to succeed.

I think a small displacement I-4 straight mounted (Not that I'm Homophobic......) engine on a cafe-racer style would be a realy cool model. Look what Triumph and Ducati have tapped into with the Retro thing....

Might be cool!

Rob

(aka: The Ray of F***ing Sunshine)

mikenomad 11-30-2006 06:26 AM

Re: THE BEST INDIAN EVER MADE

The best Indian ever made was the Kawasaki Drifter (1500 or 800, take your pick).

It looked even better than the originals that came from the Wigwam in Springfield, and it was definitely better in performance, ease of maintenance, and reliability than the originals (and also better than any of the latter-day clone bikes).

The Kawasaki Drifters were never hot sellers, so you can probably pick up one for a very reasonable price. The Vulcan 1500 engine is good for 100,000+ miles, so you could keep a Drifter long enough for it to be a classic in its own right.

If you're in love with the authentic 1940s look, the first year or two of the Drifter 1500 is the choice. It came with matte silver engine and powder-coated black forks and other bits that today would be chromed, and it was painted an authentic maroon. Subsequent years saw the black bits replaced with chrome, and brighter colors were offered. You might also find a maroon and black first-year model that has been painted a brighter color.

Fenton 11-30-2006 06:32 AM

I was hoping the last run would have worked for Indian. I'm not into the big sweeping fenders but I like the name and the industry offering choices.

I thing the last version of the Scout was as cool as the entire dyna series.

Do we have to call them "Native American Cycles" or is it the "I Word" now?

acecycleins 11-30-2006 06:33 AM

Stellican is an Investment capital company just like the Texas investors that revived Ducati. Just because they are all business doesn't mean they are souless. These guys will find the best people to do the job and bring the brand back to life.

I was one of the original people talking to Dave Wright (before he departed) about the comeback. They are talking to everyone to make sure that the same mistakes are not repeated. They will have updated designs of the bike but the motor-trans set up is going to start with the S&S designed power 100 motor that only made it one year on production. THey are also interested in bringing back the inline 4 (the last time I checked). If they build in small number the first few years and actually put money into R&D it's possible they may get it right. Unlike the previous owners who were complete dumbasses.

Kreb_Cycle 11-30-2006 06:33 AM

WWF has a season?

Buzglyd 11-30-2006 06:37 AM

I think E-H's creditors auctioned off all the stuff.

Buzglyd 11-30-2006 06:41 AM

The problem is that the "Power 100" is an Evo clone and the bike will look like a Harley knock-off no matter what they do with it.

What "heritage" can they build on when the company has been out of business since 1953?

Board track racers?

sarnali2 11-30-2006 06:52 AM

Re: Anybody for another glass.......

You're absolutely right, they may make a go of it...re-live the success Triumph has had with John Bloor, become a major player in the U.S. marketplace, who knows, maybe even field a competitive AMA Superbike team...

"course Angel's might fly out my ass as well, but I doubt it.

sarnali2 11-30-2006 06:54 AM

Re: THE BEST INDIAN EVER MADE

I really like those, I thought they did an excellent job with them.

sarnali2 11-30-2006 07:00 AM

The only way it'll fly is if they come up with some clean sheet designs. Maybe if they play off the inline 4 angle they might get somewhere, Something like a K 100 RS and RT with Indian on the tank. Cranking out Evo clones with the carb on the left hand side is just going to be one more pick-over of a long dead corpse.

Buzglyd 11-30-2006 07:16 AM

The guy I bought my house from had one of those "Indians" in the garage when I was checking out the house.

I've still got the oil stain on my garage floor to prove it.

12er 11-30-2006 07:19 AM

Whenever I hear Indian motorcycles mentioned I just smile. Way back in 2001 I was commuting to work early one morning on my K12rs when I happened to pull up alongside a still paper plated new indian at a stoplight. The owner clad in jeans, vest and beanie looks over at me in my bright red 'stich and snears. Light turns green and he roars off up the near 360 degree onramp (Vanness / Howard connector ramp to 101 in SF), I follow close behind, couldnt help it he was trying not to grind his floorboards off... Once the freeway straightend out I'm right off his back tire when he looks over, snears again and whacks open the throttle. About 500rpms later the revlimiter on the indian kicks in as I short shift into 3rd and whick it up to 80 mph in a couple of seconds, with nothing but a rapidly dissappearing indian headlight in my mirrors. I fogged my visor up laughing so hard the rest of the way to work.

seruzawa 11-30-2006 07:20 AM

' "And there's no question that motorcyclists are a passionate group. These are people who tattoo brand names on their body! There's not another product category on earth that drives people to do that."

They got to know Indian's former customers too. After sending out 2,500 surveys to former owners, they heard from nearly 1,000 about everything from engineering to design - and continue to receive close to 100 e-mails daily from people who want to play a part in the resurrection.'

I hope I'm wrong but it don't sound much like they are planning on going after the people who buy sportbikes, nakeds, Ducks or Trumpets, do it? Sounns like they are after the tattoo and do-rag clad Brando wannabes.

longride 11-30-2006 07:22 AM

True enough. I think some guy in Arizona bought most of what was left.

seruzawa 11-30-2006 07:28 AM

You're sure it wasn't some genius investor from Seattle?

acecycleins 11-30-2006 07:36 AM

I'm not saying it's the best move to put the Power 100 motor in the bikes but it all has to start somewhere. I personally expressed my thoughts on how much of a mistake it would be to rely on the 100 as the first step. Fact is, they should look at the Dakota motor (inline Indian 4 that some guy in England builds) and the Rocket III motor. If Indian would build a water-cooled, fuel injected 1800-2100 cc inline 4 and scrap the "heritage" look for something modern then they would have the best chances of survival.

seruzawa 11-30-2006 07:50 AM

Maybe if they just bought Drifters sans engines from Kawasaki and put I-4 Dakota engines them? Might work.

sarnali2 11-30-2006 07:55 AM

At least they'd still leak oil...

Buzglyd 11-30-2006 08:11 AM

I suppose I might meet the target demographic but honestly the name "Indian" doesn't mean squat to me.

I'm 42 and was born long after the real Indian went out of business.

seruzawa 11-30-2006 08:12 AM

Well whatever they build they better be sure to put speed limiters on 'em 'cause, you know, SPEED KILLS and we want everyone to be safe.

ksquid 11-30-2006 08:16 AM

Good grief Charlie Brown. North Carolina provides tax incentives for a little experiment by some Harvard MBAs who don't ride. Do they understand the motorcycle market or are they as clueless as W's Weasels of the GPTB*? If they make the same old crap they are doomed. I get the feeling that it's not a big deal if they do because of the tax payers of NC are desperate for new manufacturing jobs.

[i]*GPTB-Gray Pony Tailed Brother hood."an emerging motorcycle culture that embraces every possible danger factor: extreme speed, reckless behavior, alcohol impairment and many older riders past their prime"

Quintessentially GPTB

- cruiz-euro

W's Weasels-the three amigos (longride, Buz and seruzawa) of the GPTB who think Harley should stay the course. They feel that all Gen Ys will want Harleys in the future, thus no need for HD to innovate or change. The think the cruiser market will grow..

zenjim 11-30-2006 08:27 AM

Agreed. This is a group of proven professionals who have already turned around one brand. They are doing the right thing by the people who love the brand. I wish them well. I don't ride cruisers, but I dig the look of the Indians. I think if they start out with retro models and then introduce more modern designs they'll be fine. H-D getting a little competition is healthy. I know they have deep pockets but if Victory can do it...

sarnali2 11-30-2006 08:28 AM

Not really, anymore than Exselsior-Henderson did. Old ones are kinda neat looking in the same way that Pans and Knuckles are neat looking but that's as far as it goes.

If they follow Bloors lead they might get somewhere, if not it's just more financial mastrubation.

Fenton 11-30-2006 08:29 AM

That's a bunch of sitting bull.

Buzglyd 11-30-2006 08:35 AM

You're very brave insulting me like that.

SRMark 11-30-2006 08:36 AM

And if you're good with a band saw you can get four for the price of one.