Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ducati News (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/)
-   -   Ducati Confirms Interest in Moto Guzzi (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ducati-news/2378-ducati-confirms-interest-moto-guzzi.html)

Buzglyd 04-22-2004 08:00 AM

Re: Ducati Confirms Interest in Moto Guzzi

Just think, Pierre can ugly-up a whole new line of motorcycles!

rhust 04-22-2004 08:01 AM

Duck Duc Goose. Now it really will be Moto Gucci...

grubz916 04-22-2004 08:06 AM

Wasn't HD expressing interest in buying them not all that long ago? I don't know what Ducati's financial health is lately, but I hope that if they follow thru with this they embrace their parental responsilities and keep MG on the right track, unlike what happened to Indian & Laverda. MG has been turning out some real nice bikes lately, especially that MGS & V11 lemans.

Grubz out -->

oh, First Post!!!

grubz916 04-22-2004 08:07 AM

Doh!!!

Third post

thejimmy 04-22-2004 08:13 AM

Doesn't Aprilia already 'contribute' to Guzzi's well being?

Tigercub 04-22-2004 08:24 AM

Ducati could have the Italian Harley. They should punch up the Guzzi and bring out a new and modern Ambassador.

Neal 04-22-2004 08:44 AM

The California EV Touring is pretty much a modern Ambassador.

nokneedragin 04-22-2004 09:29 AM

Lets see, Aprilia bought Guzzi afew years ago. Has arguably brought them up to speed as for quality, name recognition, product diversity. Now Ducati is looking at buying Guzzi (again).

By my take Aprilia would sell MG only if they see it internally a a loss leader to be dumped, or the money offered by Ducati is so astronomical that they would be fools to pass it up. So if Aprilia keeps Guzzi its to loose money, but gain credit for the marque history; or they actually are making a good profit on the Guzzi line and won't sell unless the offering is going to be so high that Ducati won't see a profit in Guzzi for years to come.

I don't think Ducati will buy Guzzi to lose money, and (I have not studied the profit/loss statement for Aprilia) Aprilia is making a decent profit on the line as it stands. So this strikes me as a no smoke and no fire issue.

nokneedragin 04-22-2004 09:34 AM

On another Ducati side story, I just read that Ducati will contest a 749 in the AMA FX races

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Apr/040422b.htm

"HMC Ducati will contest the Formula Extreme series starting at Barber next month. Former three-time Superbike champion Doug Chandler will ride the Ducati, according to Hansen. The bike will roll on Dunlop tires."

Hope it juices up the FX series some.

BMW4VWW 04-22-2004 09:44 AM

I just hope that they don't change the Griso. I've been wanting one for a couple of years now. VWW

seruzawa 04-22-2004 10:15 AM

This will be okay as long as they decide not to build a Moto Guzzi Indiana.

ebass 04-22-2004 10:31 AM

Gotta say, the Guzzis have charisma, which I value highly, but some engineering flaws in the California EV we had last summer such as a horrible transmission and unreachable kickstand, left me wondering what the hell those guys were thinking.

Steve781 04-22-2004 10:34 AM

Suggestion to the New Investors

Whoever winds up with Guzzi, I hope they put their new swingarm (as seen on the Brevas) on the LeMans bikes. I’d even give up my VFR for such a bike.

acecycleins 04-22-2004 10:34 AM

Aprilia has Guzzi in it's holdings. Aprilia is in the race business not the cruiser business. Guzzi make some fantastic "street sport" bikes but the bread and butter are tour/cruisers. Ducati has the "air cooler" motor down to a science and the old tractor motor from the Guzzi could only benefit from this. Ducati would not have to worry about trying to develop a cruiser for a growing market if it were to aquire the Guzzi brand. Natural fit? Yes.

Neal 04-22-2004 10:56 AM

Well they gotta California and a Nevada.....guess an Arizona is next. Plenty of states before they get back to Indiana.

Neal 04-22-2004 10:59 AM

I think you hit the nail on why Ducati would want MG......I'm just not sure why Aprilia would want to unload it unless its losing money.

Buzglyd 04-22-2004 11:03 AM

How about a Utah?

It comes in one color: Vanilla. It has no chrome and 10% of the proceeds go to the Mormon church.

BMW4VWW 04-22-2004 11:10 AM

Wow seruzawa you really do remember so relatively obscure motorcycles. It's hard to believe that the same company that brought us the Montjuich was simultaneously dreaming up the Indiana, a cruiser that looked like it was designed by a 60's era Japanese company. VWW

seruzawa 04-22-2004 11:27 AM

I even remember Greeves, DOT, Zundapp, Marusho and DKW! How about the Munch Mammoth?

My neighbor had a Sears Puch.

Lots of obscure motocycles. DOT was supposed to stand for "Devoid of Trouble". Hahaha. A British Villiers engined leading-link dirt bike. Devoid of Trouble. Pull the other one.

tonyharrah 04-22-2004 11:31 AM

Re: How about a Utah?

...and it runs fine on low-octane gasoline. All the way down to 3.2% without knocking.

seruzawa 04-22-2004 11:33 AM

Check one out.

Here too.

An Italian attempt to copy an early Japanese copy of a Harley.

seruzawa 04-22-2004 11:34 AM

And as soon as it is barely broken in it begins to reproduce itself.

Buzglyd 04-22-2004 11:38 AM

Nothin' like an Italian Virago.

Check this out www.13choppers.com

SeanAlexander 04-22-2004 11:46 AM

Hmmm Horrible Transmissions and wonky kick-stands.... What other bike brand does EBass love, that just happens to have horrible transmissions and kick-stands that should be outlawed?

jibosch 04-22-2004 11:59 AM

Didn't Ducati LOOSE about $5 million, as a Company, last Year? They might be up for Sale if this Continues! If they take on MG, maybe Harley will get 'quite a deal', on both!

bdesmo 04-22-2004 12:02 PM

Aprilia is not really a motorcycle manufacturer, its money was made on scooters in Europe (especially Italy) and the market has tanked. motorcycles were really a prestigious sideline. how much money can they make selling RSV in lomited numbers much cheaper than Ducati (doesn't add up). Guzzi would definately be a good fit for Ducati, a nostalgia range and they could then come out with V4s, cutting edge sportsbikes without alienating the faithful.

my 2 Euro cents worth.

bdesmo 04-22-2004 12:06 PM

Actually Ducati is not doing too bad. Losses yes but cash position not bad. Like everywhere else cash is king and Aprilia doesn't have it Ducati does.

ebass 04-22-2004 12:29 PM

Hey now SA!

The BD has a great tranny...unless of course you're trying to find neutral!

;)

As for the kickstand, at least it's reachable by human legs once deployed. You "Big and Tall" guys just don't understand what we mere mortals have to go through when struggling with a V-Strom, Multistrada, or for reason's I can't imagine an engineer justifying, a California EV.

jibosch 04-22-2004 12:35 PM

You may be totally right - as I could not find their Cash balance, it was probably somewhere in the Italian Text that I could not read. I did see, however, 117,000,000 debt, in Euros, and a Debt/Equity Ratio of 0.74, which is not promising... if MG is loosing money for Aprilia, how fast could Ducati turn-it-around to make it worth their while? I do agree that MG suffers in the US due to their poor Dealership Network, and that the new Breva Series is Sweet, so perhaps integrating-it into the Mediocre Ducati Dealership Network, could only help sales! Let's Hope so, as MG should continue to be a viable option to Motorcyclists!

mikedard 04-22-2004 01:30 PM

Re: Suggestion to the New Investors

I agree what a great idea!! Also fix some of the electronics, headlight, use solid state relays or at least good ones. Put hydraulic lifters on the Le Manns at least, and I'm ready to buy. In fact that's what I've been waiting for almost a decade! I just like the looks of the Le Manns. I can't shake it, or explain it, it goes against my schooling (engineering). The 2 year warranty is convincing me about their quality improvement efforts are working. When I tell my friends that I really always wanted a Le Manns, they just look at me and I get a blank look, they all stop talking. Once someone asked was that the bike with the heads sticking out the sides like horns? Yes that's the one. Still I get the same look. Oh well.

Neal 04-22-2004 02:33 PM

Re: Moto Guzzi the Italian Harley.

My concern would be that Ducati concentrates on the cruiser aspect of MG and drops their sportbike line,which would be a shame. The MG cruisers leave me cold,but I lust for a LeMans in my garage. Call me strange but I'd rather have a leMans than a Ducati ss1000.....there's no accounting for taste,but i too love the look and sound of the transverse guzzi V

wwalkersd 04-22-2004 02:37 PM

Re: Suggestion to the New Investors

I think the answer to that one is "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand." Or the equivalent in Italian (per Babelfish): "Se dovete chiedere, quindi non capireste."

:-)

BMW4VWW 04-22-2004 02:44 PM

I remember all of those except the DOT. I even owned a Zundapp (pronounced soontop). The Sears Puch was rebadged as the Allstate and the 250 was the "twingle" with both pistons on the same throw of the crank. Still the Indiana was so revolting that I had almost purged it from my memory along with the Honda Dream. Do you rememer the Penton and Cotton dirt bikes? How about the Greeves or the Gilera? VWW

BMW4VWW 04-22-2004 02:47 PM

Oops you already mentioned the Greeves. How about Amazonas? VWW

rossbiker 04-22-2004 03:11 PM

Ouch :)

Somewhere, there are five fourteen year old girls looking over at their new husband and wondering why their ears are burning...

Ross

seruzawa 04-22-2004 03:15 PM

Yes, I have an old Cycle World with a test of the Amazonas. Real industrial grade stuff.

A couple of my friends in High School picked up a Pirella 125 and a Gilera 125 in an auction. Both 4 strokes and real POSes with parts virtually impossible to find. I also remember driving through Watts in a wreck of a '57 VW looking for the Pirella dealer and praying like mad that the car wouldn't break down until I got out of Compton. It didn't.

I do vaguely remember Cotton and Penton.

How about Yamaguchi? Bridgestone? White Bros.?

Buzglyd 04-22-2004 03:25 PM

A neighbor kid down the road from me had a Sachs 125 dirtbike. Two-smoke, radial-finned head. It had some crazy front suspension that weighed about 200 pounds. What a pile of garbage. I could run rings around him on my Yamaha 125 and practically could keep up on my Honda XR75.

The Sachs met its untimely demise when the piston stuck and the whole thing caught on fire in his front yard. We laughed while he cried!

BMW4VWW 04-22-2004 04:27 PM

The Yamaguchi escapes my memory, however I have ridden a Bridgestone, and bought a White Bros. swingarm for a xr 350 that I explored Baja with. BTW I grew up in South Central LA when Compton was an all white suburb. VWW

BMW4VWW 04-22-2004 04:32 PM

BTW, used to cruise high school in a friend's 57 VW. Very cool with the oval rear window.

VWW