Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Ducati News

Old 03-19-2004, 07:28 AM   #21
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Profits........Or Not

JB and Sean are mysteriously quiet on this one. Come on guys, give it up. Curious minds want to know
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2004, 07:41 AM   #22
jfgilbert

It is nice to read all these expert comments from people who explain why they do not own or ride a Ducati. No, a half hour test ride or a few miles on a borrowed bike do not count.

For the record, I have more than 5,000 miles on my 6 months old Multistrada, have had no problems, and have cancelled my order for the gel seat because the stock seat is fine after a little use. I think I can judge that better than those who have just read a few test reports.

Of course, I am not an expert track rider, I do not have the skills to use 150+ hp, and have done most of my 30 years of riding on roads and streets, which that bike is perfectly suited to. So, obviously, my opinion cannot stand against those of the pundits armed with test reports, tech specs, and hearsay.

You do not have to like their bikes, but the MC world would be much poorer without Ducati.
jfgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:45 AM   #23
gbrummett

Default Performance Numbers and Reasoning are not why you pay more for a Duc

Most new FerrariÂ’s and PorscheÂ’s cost more then a new Z06 Corvette or Viper, and many have similar to or even less usable / measurable performance. Bottom line, performance numbers alone do not a purchase make. Anyone having heard the howl of a Ferrari at redline will immediately relate to the buyer purchasing a new Duc.

I don’t own one, but I can understand wanting something other then the same old same old look and sound that’s on every block even if it does cost more and doesn’t run a 9 second ¼ mile and do 189 mph.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:02 AM   #24
SRMark

Ducati has introduced quite a few new models in the last couple of years. With those changing designs come changing manufacturing processes, shifting suppliers and additional production personnel and/or job changes. All of those can contribute to decreased operational efficiency and increases in cost per unit. Hence the decline in contribution margin/gross profit. The changing world economies and increased competition can also serve to reduce unit selling prices. That too can reduce margins. When combined, the resulting loss is understandable. Hopefully the bean counters can respond in a timely fashion and Ducks will continue to fly.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:06 AM   #25
SRMark

Happiness is wanting what you have and you sound very happy. Ducati will be happy when they make more would-be owners happy.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:41 AM   #26
cyclox

I'm curious to see how the new line of "classic" replicas does. Seems as though they're mostly comprised of off the shelf parts and did not require extensive new tooling investment. If so, and if they sell, they'll make a pretty good profit on them.

cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #27
Betamax
Founding Member

Default thanks for missing the point entirely

sheesh
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #28
Betamax
Founding Member

Default thanks for missing the point entirely

the point is about value for dollar not look.

way to get your panties in a bunch about nothing...
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 AM   #29
nosajwols
Founding Member

Here is my 2 cents (if it is worth that much). If Harley and Ferrari can survive then Ducati should be able to. They need to rethink the market position and the styling of the bikes. What I think Ducati should do to stay/get in the black:

1) Style, Style, Style. They need to rethink the current line of bikes. Monster is great but the styling is getting old. SS looks like the head of the monster in Alien(s). 999 well it is no 916, that s for sure, they should have evolved the 916 design not create a new one. Multistrada is selling well, but it is stupid looking. STs are way too bland. Hire a new designer (or an old one back) and get their act together. Styling is their strongest sales tool.

2) Bring out a MotoGP like bike (maybe the 4 with the original dual firing order). Make the bike the fastest production motorcycle in the world, sell it for 50K US, limited production. The idea is the press and lust this bike will get. It will increase the sales of the cheaper bikes (prestige to the mark).

3) Leverage the T-Shirt sales better like Harley and Ferrari. This is pretty much free money.

4) They need a serious multi bike effort in AMA, this is what US buyers will follow....

What they should not do:

1) Try to produce a bunch of cheap bikes for everyone. They cannot compete with Asia on this and they will lose the prestige of the name Ducati.

2) Keep going with the ugly bikes. They need to admit they were wrong and roll some heads.

3) Try to roll out bikes in too many market segments (please not another Indiana!).

4) Make bikes that are just not fast enough in this crazy HP world. Ducati's being left behind at street lights does not sell bikes! They need to take a serious look at uping the performance. People will pay a lot more money for a little more performance than the next guy (just look at car sales).
nosajwols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #30
Woody650
Founding Member

Ducatis have never been much of a price/performance value against the Japanese bikes.....but people were willing to pay for exotica and stunning good looks.

Now Japanese bikes have trick GP-derived parts and look better too.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote