Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Crusty MO

Old 04-09-2001, 12:31 PM   #1
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Carmichael Extends Streak while Pastrana Takes Title

Not to pick nits, but I think he's won 10 in a row,

11 overall.??

Ooooh.. lookit that nit!.. got it right there!

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2001, 04:38 PM   #2
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Carmichael Extends Streak, Pastrana Takes Title

It appears that RCis wresting the title of THE MAN fromMcGrath with both the 2000 outdoor and the 2001 supercross(yeah Im counting his chickens before theyre hatched).However its interesting-and great for the sport-that his heir apparent is already in sight..The article stated that Pastranas only the second youngest supercross 125 champ but has anyone ever had both the outdoors title AND a supercross 125 title at the same time at such a young age?If Pastrana can repeat as the 125 0utdoor champion(a tough job made tougher with the advent of the YZ250F)I expect him to be fighting McGrath and RC for the 250 Supercross and RC for the 250 outdoors championship...cant wait!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 04:39 AM   #3
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Carmichael Extends Streak, Pastrana Takes Title

I'm at home sick, so I'm going to go yammer for a while until I get tired.

Absolutely! I think we're on the verge of some really excellent racing in the coming years! If RC continues his dominance ( which he will ), and Pastrana develops consistency ( which he will ) then even if McGrath leaves the sport in a year or two (I hope not though!!) , we'll FINALLY have two young guns who are both capable of winning at any time. What the sport has lacked for most of the 90's is a worthy, CONSISTENT, challenger to McGrath. I like MC, he's a pretty good guy by most reports I've read and he's been great for the sport. But, as has been said time and again, it seems like every time a challenger emerges, something happens and they hit hard times. I just wish Emig had stayed healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I take NOTHING away from Jeremy. He is THE MAN, will always be THE MAN. You can't deny that guy is going to go down as the greatest Supercross rider of all time. Too much talent! But, it almost gets boring watching him win again and again..he's so good, it's hard to keep rooting for him ( as weird as that sounds! ).

I don't think, as has been postulated by the press recently, that anyone will touch Jeremy's ultimate win-count. Carmichael w/out Pastrana could, and vice-versa. But those two are poised to carve up

the wins for the next several years. I doubt either will win more than 1/2 of the races in a given year. It'll probably be more like 5 or 6 wins tops.. (per series.. SX vs. MX.) with the balance to a few other young-guns who are up and coming now.

RC vs Pastrana is the future of the sport. It's a return to the 80's almost! ( need a couple more guys who can dominate to make that true ). There used to be SOOOOO many guys back then who could win!

Roncada could come along nicely too, provided he stays healthy. I think that guy 'has it'. Buckelew too.. and that amazing kid, Mike Alesi ( spelling?? in about 4 odd years or so.

And before anyone gets nuts b/c I didn't name "their guy".. this is all just my worthless opinion, o.k. I could go over good/bad points of all the other guys out there, I just chose to name a few that I happen to like. YMMV I fully respect all those dudes. They do something I could NEVER do in a million years. The slowest, worst guy out there on the pro-scene is so far better than 99.9%

of all of us reading this, it's probably not even funny. 'Props' to 'em all!

Ahhhh.. man, it's a great time to be a fan of this stuff!! I wish I wasn't so old, I'd get out there and

ride my own dirtbike more often!! ( and get whipped by the local 60 expert!.. hahahaha! )

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote