Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Buell

Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Motorcycle purchases have always been about style to a great extent. At least since the 1920's, when bikes lost the battle for basic transportation to cars. I can't say if I like the new Buell from the photos, but I do appreciate them at least putting the US into the game with a competitive sportbike, and now naked bike.

Here's what's really funny to me: for decades there has been endless discussion of how outdated HD (and Buell with their Sportster based bikes) has been. Yet for months, every damn magazine or website I read is filled with riders whining and crying because the "new" Sportster isn't being sold here! A SPORTSTER, for crying out loud; one that is only slightly different than every other one made for what, 50 years?
I liked the Buells with the Sportster motor in it. It made them different and they still cranked out 80-90hp. Good enough for me.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I liked the Buells with the Sportster motor in it. It made them different and they still cranked out 80-90hp. Good enough for me.
In the mid 90's, my riding pal wanted a new Fat Boy. This was when everyone was standing in line paying 30% over MSRP for a Harley. The dealer told him if he bought a Buell, he could buy a Fat Boy in 6 months. Doug had plenty of money, so he did. It was a Lightning, I'm pretty sure, and that ****ing thing was FAST! And I did an unwanted stoppie because I grabbed the front brake the same way I did the FXS. He kept it exactly 6 months and traded it, but I still think it was a hoot.

I wonder if air-cooled Buells are going to be around much longer?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default No new Sportster in the USA?

I wonder if H-D (or Buell) was worried that the new Sportster would pilfer sales from the Buell side of the house. What says ye?

FWIW, I always liked the Buell styling. I used to say that if they ever built a bike for tall guys like me, I would buy it. A couple of years later, voila... the Ulysses. I'm glad I bought that bike!

BrowningBAR said it well... 80-90hp is good enough for me!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 AM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Buell has a new model on its website.

The styling will get you noticed-perhaps not for your good taste though.

Maybe Buell should change its focus from "styled around the rider" to "styled around the buyer."

http://buell.com/en_us/
Buells bore me. Sorry, just wished they would make something that was competitive as my cookie cutter bike.

Last edited by MOKE1K; 11-14-2008 at 06:13 AM..
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Buells bore me. Sorry, just wished they would make something that was competitive as my cookie cutter bike.
Well, than thankfully, you own a cookie cutter bike.

Me, I'm not looking for track specs. I'm looking for a fun bike that is more user-friendly for the street.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I like the Uly, it was on my short list of Vstrom Uly or bagger. In the end I went for comfort and got the bagger but the Uly is definately a cool bike. My buddy rides the wheels off his XB9R so far with no problems other then keeping the front wheel on the ground, I wouldn't mind one as a second bike....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

I have a 5 year old XB9S. Everytime I think about selling it, a quick ride tells me otherwise.

They're dirt cheap, used, BTW.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Oh no doubt they are fun and provide alot of tourqe. To each his own I guess, just like something thats very competitive.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Oh no doubt they are fun and provide alot of tourqe. To each his own I guess, just like something thats very competitive.

Competitive for what? if you want a track bike they may be a poor choice but for any sane street riding a good rider on a Buell will leave an average rider on the horizon no matter what he's on. They're fun bikes, maybe not your style but you might be surprised.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Oh no doubt they are fun, I'v enjoyed that ride many times.(XB9R) Even got to race one once, but to be leading edge on a track it's alot more practical to get a Japanese bike. Aftermarket parts and availability of those parts makes it the obvious choice.

Your right it is all rider, but I have'nt meet anyone yet on the street I had to chase down on a Rotax oops I mean Buell. Although theres one rider I probly could'nt catch on a buell on a track. D.Estock. Fast mutha!!!