Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Buell News

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 03:11 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: A Buell Crusier? Hey! It could Happen, if I had my way.

I thought that a sportbike was simply a bike designed primarily for sport style riding.

Maybe there's some new defintion that the power ranger crowd has come up with.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2004, 03:46 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Personally, I'd like a Supermoto bike with hard bags, a cd player and cruise control.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:54 AM   #13
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Longride and serusawa's Points well taken...

Though, you’re points are valid, and understood, I am considering several things.

In the future, Harley’s popularity may begin to plateau, along with sales and profits. While a certain market-segment will always continue to remain loyal, growth will be hard to maintain, as the motorcycle landscape diversifies and younger people move up into the Harley-demographic. And, It’s going to take a balancing act to keep both of these groups happy. Positioning Buell, as Harley’s innovative R&D subsidiary, would allow forward thinking designs to be brought into play for, younger customers, while not pi$$ing off the older ones.

As for Buell, while I don’t see them as ever building a Dresser, I do think, that if they mellowed out the geomitry and added some aminities, they could they could create a very nice sport-touring package, using their frame, and pave the way for Harley to introduce, said, frame into its line up.

As for me, I'm not much of a cruiser guy but, from a visual point of view, I think a Harley cruiser would look very cool...

Old 11-20-2004, 04:54 AM   #14
gbrummett

Default I have heard...

This is just rumor mill since it's second hand but...

I have heard that there are three water cooled V-Twin XB Buell test mules with a new longer swing arm running around one of the commonly used H-D test tracks.

Supposedly it's an all new water cooled from the ground up designed 1,000cc 90° V-Twin using a redesigned XB bike.

Could be interesting...

Old 11-20-2004, 05:00 AM   #15
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: buzglyd

I think the BMW R 1200 GS might cover that one. Don’t know about the Cruise-Control, but the CD player wouldn’t be too hard to hook up.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:07 AM   #16
jungkvist
Founding Member

And, by the way, I'm not NUTS!

I took a MMPI test, a while ago, and it came back Eccentric. In other words, I'm crazy by choice, rather than by pathology. So, THERE!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:21 AM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:Sorry..I think you're nut too.

The bike you're describing is the new 1200 Sportster. Throw some bags and a windshield on that and you have a light weight touring bike.

My opinion is that they should call the XB1200 Lightning and Firebolt an XLH and XLCH Sportster and call the current 1200 a Harley Roadster and do away with the Buell brand all together.

As LR stated, the future for Harley is the V-Rod in place of the twin cam engine in all models except the Heretige Softtail. That will take a mental paradigm shift for The Faithfull, but after riding a modern hi-po VRod engine equipped bike, wrapped in an excellent Harley touring platform they might come around.

The biggest challange IMO is the perception that a Sportster is a girls or beginners bike by a lot of HD RUB's, when in fact it's more bike than most of them could handle with their kpail like two years of experiance, including a 150 mile weekend here and there.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:23 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

They jst tell you that because no one wants to upset a nut
Old 11-20-2004, 05:45 AM   #19
tomk2

Default Re: I have heard...

Hey gb.... I was on a group ride a couple weeks ago & talked to one of yer fellow XB12 Buellistas who ponied up the $$$ to Nallin Racing for the full stage 3 treatment. his bike dynoed at 120 hp and 100 ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheel

Old 11-20-2004, 05:54 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re:Sorry..I think you're nut too.

I agree Harley should call Buell a Harley. There are still people out there that have no idea what a Buell is or that it's remotely related to H-D.
Closed Thread