Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > BMW

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #21
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Which brings me to; WHY ARE BIKE SHOPS CLOSED ON SUNDAY?!

Come ON!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default Breaking In

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleripple View Post
My XB was a demo and I hem hawed about that. Figured it just means somebody else disregarded the break-in period instead of me.
There's a guy who has a website (I'll see if I can find the URL later) who maintains that the WORST thing you can do to an engine is be gentle to it during the break in. He claims that only by accelerating hard will you create sufficient gas pressure on the rings to properly condition the cylinder walls.

A mechanical engineer I respect has told me that break in isn't the big deal it used to be. He says that these days, the machining tolerances are so close, and the finishing of the bearing surfaces etc. is so good, that you really don't need to worry about it.

In this case, it's a moot point. The 14 is not a demo; according to the seller it was purchased by an individual who then promply traded it for a ZX14. This guy bought it from him and decided he didn't like it after all. So...we shall see! A 14 with 350 miles for $10k seems like a really good deal...
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Yeah, almost like a too good to be true deal.......

Just watch your wallet, not everyone is honest and trustworthy like us MOfo's BTW my Trophy was a demo too, the warranty starts the day it's titled in your name, as you said a moot point for now but it may come up in future.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #24
maladg
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,140
Default

Seruwaza was right - scour the BMW forums - BMW Sport Touring.com for a start. I have no idea if you can see the forums at BMW MOA without being a member but they are chocked FULL of great info.

After 14 yrs on BMW's (the Fat Lady was a concurrent thang) I can say this: later is better as in later model.

Those with big pontoons MIGHT want (as in buy first) to visit Suburban Machinery (or Verholen if you speek the languaggeeeee) and get you a footpeg kit that bumps things out on the horo plane a tad. Trust me on this one.

Look for complete maint records - good independent shop or savvy owner ok - I can't think of another bike out there hurt more by incompetent service than Beemers.

As for the Tiger - I test rode one in May and I was wowed. Except SWMBO would have been unhappy. Very unhappy. Pillion too skimpy for even a petite gal like my gal. Fair disclosure - I actually enjoy having her along most of the time.

Bottom line - even though I am one of those snooty, over-educated Beemer types, if I'd been a single guy or solo only rider, I'd be on the Tiger now. Why? I just would not need what an RT delivers. But if you need it, nothing else will do.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default At This Rate I Should Run For Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladg View Post

Bottom line - even though I am one of those snooty, over-educated Beemer types, if I'd been a single guy or solo only rider, I'd be on the Tiger now. Why? I just would not need what an RT delivers. But if you need it, nothing else will do.
Well, since I'm subjecting y'all to my anguishing inability to pick a damn bike, here's the flip-flop de jour: Keep the Concours for those comparatively infrequent (2x a month?) long trips requiring baggage, and go get something sporty like a Ducati Sport Classic or a Tiger. The kid can ride on most anything, as long as I have a backrest and handholds he's ok. I've sworn off women for the foreseeable future, so what the heck do I care about the pillion? The Concours was a STEAL and letting it go for what it would bring might not be that good an idea.

I'm over in the Sarasota area this work on business, so I may hunt up the local Ducati dealer.

Was it LongRide or Buzglyd who got the Duc Sport Classic? What's the verdict on that bike?
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Well, since I'm subjecting y'all to my anguishing inability to pick a damn bike, here's the flip-flop de jour: Keep the Concours for those comparatively infrequent (2x a month?) long trips requiring baggage, and go get something sporty like a Ducati Sport Classic or a Tiger. The kid can ride on most anything, as long as I have a backrest and handholds he's ok. I've sworn off women for the foreseeable future, so what the heck do I care about the pillion? The Concours was a STEAL and letting it go for what it would bring might not be that good an idea.

I'm over in the Sarasota area this work on business, so I may hunt up the local Ducati dealer.

Was it LongRide or Buzglyd who got the Duc Sport Classic? What's the verdict on that bike?
I've got a 2007 GT1000 Sport Classic. It is a total kick in the pants to ride and very comfy, standard riding position.

I've put the Termi pipes on it and the CRG bar end mirrors. I'm going to put a 14t countershaft sprocket on it because like most Ducs, it's geared too tall.

I just saw one on Ebay (with windshield and $600 bags) go for about 8 grand. It was nearly brand new.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #27
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I've got a 2007 GT1000 Sport Classic. It is a total kick in the pants to ride and very comfy, standard riding position.

I've put the Termi pipes on it and the CRG bar end mirrors. I'm going to put a 14t countershaft sprocket on it because like most Ducs, it's geared too tall.

I just saw one on Ebay (with windshield and $600 bags) go for about 8 grand. It was nearly brand new.
I found a silver one at the Miami dealer for $7500. It's on 07 w/ 1300 miles. That's a good looking bike, and at that price there's no need to sell the Concours. Another matching set of silver bikes? Hmmm. What did the exhaust and mirrors go for? Did you intall them? Also, I've heard Ducatis are notorious for a very expensive service interval? Is that right? I'm guessing the sprocket part cost is cheap, but it might be expensive to install. Since I'm in "superslab land" it would probably be an option I'll need too.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I found a silver one at the Miami dealer for $7500. It's on 07 w/ 1300 miles. That's a good looking bike, and at that price there's no need to sell the Concours. Another matching set of silver bikes? Hmmm. What did the exhaust and mirrors go for? Did you intall them? Also, I've heard Ducatis are notorious for a very expensive service interval? Is that right? I'm guessing the sprocket part cost is cheap, but it might be expensive to install. Since I'm in "superslab land" it would probably be an option I'll need too.
The mirrors are about $80 each and the pipes, well, a lot! The pipes are about $1150. I worked a discount into the deal so I got mirrors, pipes and ECU chip installed for $1200.

If you're on the slab a lot the stock gearing might be ok for you. You don't even need 6th gear until you're going about 80. Countershaft sprockets are about $25 and easy to install.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The mirrors are about $80 each and the pipes, well, a lot! The pipes are about $1150. I worked a discount into the deal so I got mirrors, pipes and ECU chip installed for $1200.

If you're on the slab a lot the stock gearing might be ok for you. You don't even need 6th gear until you're going about 80. Countershaft sprockets are about $25 and easy to install.
Was it worth the bucks? Is it annoyingly loud? My neighbors are going to miss the HD's drag pipes at 2am...I can't disappoint them with the new bike.

I'm going to the Sarasota Duc dealer after work today and see what they have.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Was it worth the bucks? Is it annoyingly loud? My neighbors are going to miss the HD's drag pipes at 2am...I can't disappoint them with the new bike.

I'm going to the Sarasota Duc dealer after work today and see what they have.
There is no such thing as an annoyingly loud Ducati. Oh, and yes the Termi pipes are loud! Really loud. Harley guys plug their ears when I ride by.

I think Staintune makes a nice set of reverse megaphones for the GT that look great and aren't as obnoxious.

As far as worth it goes, that's an elusive target and has a different meaning for everyone.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off