Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 03-29-2001, 10:50 AM   #1
V-twinner
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia on the Move to 4-Stroke GP

What in the hell is "fundung?" Some sort of SoCal perversion?

Aprilia is what Ducati could be if the latter hadn't sold out to the "tradition" crowd; I watch in fascination as 996 riders "convert" to the Mille (or Mille R).

On the downside, trying to out-spend Honda in engine development is likely to frustrate the much smaller Aprilia. But thank God for the upstart Italians...

V-twinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2001, 02:19 PM   #2
MrSpucial
Founding Member

Default On the move....

Well it seems that Aprilia is keeping the italian motorcycling industry alive and well, since Ducati's once-Gods-now-old bikes are in need of re-vamping. With Aprilia's purchase of Moto Guzzi, it'd be nice to pick up Bimota on the way and expand their superbike market. WE WANT VALENTINO BACK!
MrSpucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
panthercity
Founding Member

Hey Robert! You're doin' a GOOD job there boy. You've come a long way from the Hawk...
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:22 PM   #4
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default In order for Aprilia to be competetive...

...i believe they will have to go with an ultra over-square multi-cylinder engine. ultra as in Formula 1 specs. i wouldn't be surprised to see a desmo V-8 or V-6, since a desmo won't have to worry about valve float and wouldn't need pneumatic valve closers at the astronomical revs they will have to turn, a feature that could add weight and complexity - just what they cannot afford an extra ounce of. Absolutely no chance of seeing a V-Twin IMO, since i am sure that the only reason they dominate WSB now is the 25% displacement advantage over the multi's(not meaning to start a flame)
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:48 PM   #5
metal
Founding Member

Default Re: In order for Aprilia to be competetive...

"no chance of seeing a V-Twin"

No offense, but good riddance. Man, let WSB be a twins and fours territory -- much closer to reality, as it should be, while GP's can be a nice testing ground for truly crazy stuff. Rotary would be awesome. No 8's I'm afraid. Aren't the new 4 strokes limited to 6 cylinders?
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 12:40 AM   #6
Founding Member

996 riders converting to the Mille??? Sorry, but that is just a bit off the mark. I admire Aprilia's work and admit that the Mille is a truly excellent machine. But after riding them all I decided to buy a 2000 model 996 SPS (Euro specs only, folks!). This machine is unbelievable and the Duck experience is still just totally unique!!! Don't believe the figures! Go ride 'em!

888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 02:52 AM   #7
hindle
Founding Member

I to belive that they will have to use 4-6 cylinders. They Ducatis and other v-twin in WSBK are successfull due in part to the displacement advantage given in WSBK and AMA. If they were restricted to 750cc I don't believe you would see any!

With that in mind it would be nice to see a Duck and the new GSXR 1000 go at it.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 03:03 AM   #8
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default It's closer than you think.....

I just had a friend of mine trade in a 99' 996 on an Aprilia Mille R. He only had 3700 miles on the 996 and I don't even consider that many miles as broken in. He didn't hate the 996, he just liked the Mille better. They're both nice bikes and about in the same price range. I hope you enjoy your SPS, it should be sweet.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 04:43 AM   #9
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

This whole GP thing is ludicrous. Making a displacement limit and bringing in 4 strokes is asking for huge costs. You want cool racing and big-but-not-moonshot-costs? Try this one on for size: run what you brung. Any engine is OK. Absolutely anything.

Now, I know people are going to say "They'll build 1000hp death machines!" Well, they would if they had a way to put it to the ground. In F1 and Indy, such a beast is possible because of the gigantic wings and tires they have. On a bike, you are pretty much limited to around 200hp.

With 1000cc, they will get 200hp and spend a king's ransom for it. With an open engine potential, they might make a 750 two stroke with 200 hp or a 1500 Vtwin or a 1200 V6. either way, they wouldn't be needing electromechanical valves, 18,000rpm and $50 million a year in engine money.

Trying to conatin cost by containing engine size NEVER works. It does the opposite and in moto GP, it could result in costs that kill the series.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 05:15 AM   #10
das
Founding Member

Default Re: "Open" GP class

I agree. I'd like to see the governing body loosen the reins on at least one class. Keep the 125s, 250s, and maybe even the 500s, but make a class whose rules are geared toward making a bike that can lap as fast as possible, period.

Sure, you'd need some rules, like maybe "no nitrous", "internal combustion engines only" and such. The idea would be to allow manufacturers to get really creative with the engines, chassis, aerodynamics, etc. Hopefully some of the innovations would then trickle down to street bikes.

It's a nice dream, anyway...
das is offline   Reply With Quote