Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-15-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
nweaver

Default Re: Aprilia releases new dream streetbike - The

Actually, it's sorta neet looking, replicating the Triumph model, but I was more hoping for something with the style of the Blue Marlin myself.

Ah well.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2002, 03:40 PM   #2
nweaver

Default Re: - The "Speed Twin"

Stupid title got cut off.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 03:42 PM   #3
K8
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia releases new dream streetbike - The Tuono

First Post!!!!

When are you guys going to run a comparo for the ZX-12, Hayabusa and CBR1100XX? Can you use the same criteria from the liter bikes? If you can't get your hands on a Kawasaki this time, (that was crap by the way!) I would consider lending you guys my stock 02 ZX-12.....As long as your sober.
K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
CanuckBusa
Founding Member

You are crazy offering to lend them your 12, sober or not. They would thrash it. That's what motojournalists do.

12R and Hayabusa. Very close in performance.
CanuckBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:35 PM   #5
SilverBullet
Founding Member

For reference check out the power/torque curves that MO offered for both the Mille R and the Speed Triple. Not only the Sp3 numbers are higher (both hp and lb/ft) but the torque curve is also nicer for the Trumpet.

The Tuono being the ultimate street bike? A comparo is in order.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:26 AM   #6
quasi_d

Man...I love the way this bike looks. Of course, seeing the thing in real life might be a different story, but if the thing had twin pipes it might be the best looking streetbike out there, IMHO, with proven power and parts to boot.

I hope these things are coming to the US...
quasi_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:03 PM   #7
cornercarver
Founding Member

Indeed the power curves are awfully similar. On the other hand, the S3 curve reports a max hp that is nearly equivalent to the factory crank hp rating of 118bhp. Assuming that the 114 reported is accurate, it implies that VERY little power is lost through the drivetrain, which makes me question the numbers a little (did Triumph provide a ringer with a Daytona engine installed?). The Mille numbers are more in line with what I would expect, 130bhp reported at the crank, less than 112bhp at the rear wheel. I know that it is fairly easy to wring another 5-10bhp out of the Mille with a pipe and a chip, too. Of course, the Mille is quite a bit lighter than the Triumph, as well.

I sold my 2001 Speed Triple and bought a Mille just 4 days ago, so I am at least partially qualified to say that the handling difference between the two is enormous (and I still can't rev it over 6000rpm). Even the Showa componentry of the standard Mille FAR outperforms the suspension my 2001 S3 (unchanged for '02), even with $1000 of race tech valves and springs installed, front and rear.

Between the far superior componentry and the lighter weight, not to mention the superb power delivery of the twin (Burns hit the nail on the head when he said there is something about that v-twin coupled to that phenomenal chassis that just begs the rider to wind the throttle open through a corner) and gorgeous styling, I have little doubt who would win a comparo, but when you factor in the $5,000+ difference in their price, you maybe get a different story.

Hopefully, Aprilia will release the bike on this side of the pond, but unless a VERY generous reader donates a bike for review, I doubt we'll see a comparo until Aprilia releases the low-zoot version for general delivery, rather than the R-spec internet special. Of course, that is just wishful speculation, but how could they neglect the opportunity.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:04 PM   #8
cornercarver
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia releases new dream streetbike - The

I heard that the Blue Marlin will be released as an Internet Special in the fall, but that could easily just be moto industry rumour.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:02 PM   #9
Mooner

Hey Aprilia owner's, I have a question: I have been wondering about the maintenace schedule and reliability of Aprilia. (mostly because Ducatis are Italian too). I have been looking at purchasing something in the Futura or R1100S category, and I guess I'm just looking for more input. Thanks alot

..........Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:44 PM   #10
cornercarver
Founding Member

I don't have a lot of experience with Aprilias, but the scheduled maintenance is every 4500 miles, but the valve adjustment interval is twice that. Additionally, the valve adjustment is not as difficult or time consuming as messing with the desmo valves, which seem to cost $600/adjustment, at least here in Northern California where labour usually bills out at $70+/hour. My dealer said to expect $400+ service bills when the valves need adjustment, and $200+ bills for the simple service in between.

As for reliability, the Mille engine and chassis has been in service for a fairly decent interval now, with no rampant reliability problems. In fact, they have done really well, especially for such an immature product line. Ducati has had a pretty good reputation for quality in recent years, too, and a continuing excellent quality control record is a high priority according to an interview with the president of the company I read a while back.

I specifically rejected the purchase of a Ducati ST4s in favour of an Aprilia entirely because I did not want to pay for the services on a Duc (and I like the Mille engine better, anyway). I wasn't happy with the performance of the Futura, however, so I bought a Mille with the intent of modifying it to be more like the Tuono.

--sam