Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   Report on Injured Riders at Daytona (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/406-report-injured-riders-daytona.html)

Twitch 03-12-2001 06:27 AM

First Post Biznatches

What carnage. Wish I could have seen it.(Hint, post some pictures!!!) Good thing all the injured will recover.

elitegroup 03-12-2001 06:38 AM

Re: Report on Injured Riders at Daytona

I would still like to know if AMA usually puts a pace car out and was it a problem that could have been avoided without the pace car present? Kurtis Roberts said after the mishap that he thought at first it was an ambulance, but then refocused and saw that it was a pace car. I mean come on guys a full course yellow and a pace car for I think it was one rider down, but he was up and walking?? I know it's over now, but I still think AMA made a mistake giving some pace car junky his time on the track at our racers expense!!!!!!!

kman 03-12-2001 06:44 AM

Report from Scott Russel's site:

Monday, March 12, 2001

6:30 pm 3:11:01

Scott Russell in surgery compound fracture left side arm and leg....accident sustained DAYTONA/TODAY 3:11:01

THIS JUST IN........

I wanted to let you know that Scott is going to be ok. He is in surgery now and for a few more hours to repair his left femur and left forearm and wrist. He was lucid and talking just before he was taken for the sugery, of course in immense pain.

7:30 pm 3/11/01

hope everyone heals quickly from their injuries.

kman

gerrygrande 03-12-2001 06:44 AM

I thought it was demo derby day there in the beginning. Too bad Nicky's bike crapped out so soon. I think he would've been Maladin's only real contender. And what's up with all the %$#^#ing commercials? Sure was fun watching 4 mins. commercial to 2 mins. race time. That really sucked!

JoeBuell 03-12-2001 07:14 AM

Shouldn't MO credit it's source for such reports? i.e. if this was an official press release from AMA then shouldn't you say so somewhere? Or are you implying that this is your own exclusive story? If we're being asked to pay for this, I'd like to know where such information comes from.

kman 03-12-2001 07:16 AM

What about Miguel!!!! DuHamel was all over Mladin, they were great to watch. Then during the pitting DuHamel crashed out and the bike was no longer raceable. It would have been great to seen 3 or 4 bikes slingshotting in on the last lap! As soon as Miguel bowed out the race was over IMO.

sean 03-12-2001 07:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing. It was just crazy to put a pace car out

there with some backmarker crashed and not even posing a threat. It's

fortunate no one was more seriously hurt! It's like that year when there

was an ambulance all of the sudden on the racing line and Mladin had to

pass it on the right and go off the track. They really need some better

planning, training, and coordination for these situations.

sean 03-12-2001 07:23 AM

Re: First Post Biznatches

The crashes were pretty bad. The high speed with Yates and Hacking

looked really serious. Probably the worst though was Russel. The

camera was right there, you seem him drifting to the right after his

bike stalled. One bike clips the front of his bike on the right and

you see him bouncing back to the left right as another bike seems to

just drill right into him. Man that looked really bad.

JoeBuell 03-12-2001 07:24 AM

Hey, what happened to my post? I asked MO to reveal it's source for the injury info. Was it an AMA press release, your own reporting, or something else? Why was my post deleted MO? What are you trying to hide?

yellowduc 03-12-2001 07:30 AM

I noticed the same thing, one commercial after the other. Speedvison is much better.

stevegrab 03-12-2001 07:33 AM

Re: First Post Biznatches

It sure did look bad, I nearly got whiplash from turning my head so fast to avoid looking (I feared the worst).

DaveK 03-12-2001 07:40 AM

You are right, Speedvision's coverage of the race stunk. One lap of race and then commercial, commercial, commercial. And then what, other than the neat ZX-9 Kawasaki commercial of the dude shocking himself the others were mostly cruiser commercials. (The FZ1 was pretty good and the Honda dirt bikes OK, but paaaleeease, no cruiser commercials during AMA Superbike!). Interestingly, I watched the WSB races immediately following and it didn't seem like there were that many commercials!

As for the Scott Russell debacle, it was horrendous, almost shameful carnage. Scott had some kind of problem with his bike and was feigning (and turning a bit right) to get off the track. I don't know who hit him but it was an explosion of bike parts, fiberglass or CF, and bodies strune all over. At first we didn't know it was Russell, but the rider just wasn't moving at all. It was terrible, just terrible.

It happened so fast I still cannot reply it in my mind. I think someone tagged Scott from behind as the rider was launching forward. Then the rider who clipped Scott was going down. Immediately after someone just absolutely t-boned him and his bike. It just just exploded into a pile of bike parts and bodies. No one was getting up quickly. It was sickening and a pall upon the pretigous Arai 200 race.

DaveK

DaveK 03-12-2001 07:45 AM

Oppsss... I thought it was Speedvision coverage. Now I don't remember who covered it, but it was commercial, commercial, commercial.

daveK.

blip 03-12-2001 07:47 AM

I don't recall seeing an e-mail from you on Friday, Steve. Feel free to resend.

We're not responding to low-moderated posts anymore, and as I mentioned last week, we've enabled outside (or MO) readers to moderate. So your peers are doing the moderating.

Note that troll support is working, more than three -1 moderated posts in a week, and the individual's posting ability goes away for a week.

JoeBuell 03-12-2001 07:47 AM

All I can say is, I hope it was not any of the MO staff who moderated that post down. I think it's a valid question, and I did not make any acqusations (sp?) about the source of the post. Anyone from MO care to comment on this?

stevegrab 03-12-2001 07:52 AM

I will attempt to resend this. It was sent to the same address from which you sent me some emails Thursday/Friday (regarding the "And The #1 News.MO User Is..."). I hope it gets through, using return receipt and everything.

Team_FAST 03-12-2001 07:55 AM

The race was broadcast tape delayed on ESPN2

stevegrab 03-12-2001 07:55 AM

PS I'm also alarmed that this guys post was moderated down by the MO readers. So now if people (these select group of moderators) don't agree with what somebody is saying, their posts get moderated down. And if they persist, maybe more posts moderated down, until they can't post anymore?

That sucks, this guy had the same question on two boards, and both were moderated down to -1, so one more time and he can't post? That seems unfair.

JoeBuell 03-12-2001 08:01 AM

I know I'm taking a chance with this, since it will probably get moderated down as well, but I'd like to thank you Steve, for your comments and concern.

wfo600 03-12-2001 08:08 AM

Is Ciccotto O.K.?

ESPN2 showed his crash, but didn't say if he was O.K. or not.

stevegrab 03-12-2001 08:31 AM

I'm probaby taking a risk too, but you're welcome. And read on....

I'm not sure if MO is going to say this, but essentially all of these AMA Pro Racing (with that emblem), are stories sent to them by AMA Pro Racing, for posting on their site. They are not required to give credit to anybody else. But, it would be nice if they told us that's where they came from. First, that would stop us from flaming them over things that aren't correct. Second, it would stop us from going over to read the AMA story for more details, since it is the same story. Although you may still want/need to go to AMA or another site to get the full results.

MoMo 03-12-2001 08:56 AM

What happened to Duhamel?

So who knows what, exactly, happened to Duhamel? The shotty coverage on ESPN2 came back from commercial just in time to show him sitting on the bike, facing the wrong direction, surrounded by track workers. They never were able to piece any footage of the crash together.

ArtOfTheMotorcycle 03-12-2001 09:07 AM

But one rider died

You ignored the fact that one rider, Dirk Piz, died from a crash in the Buell Pro Thunder event.

kman 03-12-2001 09:20 AM

Re: But one rider died

Dirk Piz, 45, lost his life when he crashed with Kiyo Watanabe entering the chicane on the fourth lap of the Buell Pro Thunder final. Piz suffered internal injuries and was pronounced dead at 1:22 p.m. EST at Halifax Medical Center.

Very sad.

RobGixxer750 03-12-2001 09:36 AM

I saw it, it was A HIGHLY POOR DECISION! They did this in Formula 1 racing I think it was in 1999. There have been small incidents, but this one was pretty bad. About 10-15 seconds before the pace car comes out, they put out the red flag, right as leaders are already on the banked oval portion of the track. So they rush this pace car out, while people coming out of the banked turn at 180 miles an hour get to find out about it as they look onto the straight. Sure that's gonna throw people a bit, hence the crashes.

AMA sucks. On a side note, how poor can someone cover a race? Apparently ask ESPN2, they wouldn't know a motorcycle from a car with 2 flat tires. The World Superbike video, commentary, and on screen information was great as usual though. The guy that knows bikes, and the guy who doesn't thing was bearable. Why must all race coverage anywhere in the world have this setup? Is it to make the "common man" more comfortable? They just make stupid comments, like when someone's tires are getting used up with 3 laps to go, they'll say that they "lost their concentration" because they get an abrupt rear tire step-out coming out of a turn. It's called tires getting slick because they are used up! sheesh!

rant off

Rob Nance

stevegrab 03-12-2001 09:37 AM

Re: What happened to Duhamel?

Not sure (need to tape race and watch again, replay this week at 1PM on Thursday on ESPN2), but here's what I heard or read elsewhere.

He had just gotten done with a pit stop for fuel and tires and crashed in the kink or other sharper corner on fresh tires. He was trying to chase Mladin very hard, and its a shame this happened. I think he had a good shot at the win if not for this incident.

gerrygrande 03-12-2001 09:38 AM

Duhamel is a vet. rider and should know not to push it on cold rubbers. Nicky on the other hand rides a bike right out of the crate 2 laps down and places in the top 10! Too bad Nicky didn't have the good engine Miguel had before he threw it away.

JPII 03-12-2001 09:40 AM

ESPN2's coverage did suck bad. They did not have a single reply of anything. What a joke, I almost stopped watching it - it was so frustrating. I am hoping that Speedvision will have better coverage, or at least some replays.

ZRXRy 03-12-2001 12:30 PM

Yeah, and considering it was a delayed tape, how come they didn't have replays of interesting events up almost instantly? And way too fecking many commercials is right. The last time I saw that many commercials was during the last 1/2 hour of a 3 hour movie on one of the crappy local stations.

dirtybmxr 03-12-2001 12:32 PM

Duhamel lost the front coming out of the infield, before he got to the banking (at the apex by the barrels). He jumped right up, but obviously the bike was damaged.

ZRXRy 03-12-2001 12:32 PM

Will Speedvision be showing it too? And when, if so? Probably just be a repeat of the taped ESPN2 coverage, anyway.

stevegrab 03-12-2001 01:00 PM

I think he meant for future rounds of the AMA series. ESPN just gets the Daytona round. Speedvision (usually along with Fox Sports) does the rest of the series (except for Loudon maybe, which was on TNN in recent years).

flyntiger97 03-12-2001 05:06 PM

I was at the race and the pace car decision was absurd IMO. Granted, I'm no road race expert, but it looked like a yellow flag on the dogleg would have been enough. By the time they saw the car, Yates, Hacking and company were coming off turn two and were on it in a second. I think the Pontiac people called it out so the crowd could see it labor around the track. Actually, I think they called it out because Mladin had pulled a five second gap four laps into the race after Hayden had problems and they wanted to tighten the field. Keep that type of junk in NASCAR where it belongs.

flyntiger97 03-12-2001 05:18 PM

Saw him crash. He lost the front coming out of the infield and back onto the main track. Slid off the track and was up immediately trying to get the bike restarted. Bike obviously too damaged to continue racing, although it didn't look bad from the stands. Mladin had been pulling about 1/2 second on Duhamel per lap before that crash. Would have loved to see a dogfight like two years ago, but wasn't going to happen that day.

RobM 03-12-2001 09:15 PM

Just curious, but you guys in the States, who do you get commentating the World Superbikes? Here in Australia we get Leigh Diffey (the non-bikes knowing, shouter - highly annoying) and Steve Parrish (might know bikes, but he doesn't really come across well). You get them, or someone else?

nidan 03-13-2001 02:28 AM

So do you mean that speedvision will not be showing this race? I don't get espn2 so missed my favourite race of the year. I emailed speedvision asking when they were going to broadcast it, but no reply yet. Does anyone else know if and when SV will broadcast this race?

kman 03-13-2001 07:52 AM

Latest update on Scott Russell:

1:18 pm 3:12:01

after 5 pints of blood scott is awake this morning.. in and out.he shattered bones in arm so badly surgeons took the bone out and replaced it with a metal one. this will be a long recovery. scott russell is still in intensive care. hang in there scott

kman 03-13-2001 07:59 AM

to send a card:

attn: scott russell / intensive care halifax medical center

303 north clyde morris blvd

daytona beach , fla 32114

hindle 03-13-2001 11:39 AM

There for a while we had these two brits that well always seemed to disagree and get into arguments all the time. One was a bit of a know it all while the other guy seemed nice but it was quite a show just listenting to them.

Sometimes they got on my nerves as they were always talking about foggy. Foggy this foggy that. Don't get me wrong he was the man but if Foggy won it was another brilliant victory but if somone else won it was just dumb luck.

djGSXR 03-15-2001 10:03 AM

Here are some links to video clips:

Roberts/Yates/Hacking Pace Car Crash (12MB):
http://149.123.110.32/misc/videos/da...01_crash_1.avi

and the horrendous incident with Russell (22MB):
http://149.123.110.32/misc/videos/da...01_crash_2.avi

Man, Russell looked bad.
and whoever sent that Pace Car (and I use the term loosely regarding the POS Aztek) out needs to retire!