Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 03-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #21
aeholton
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 200 Results

I thought I read in Cycle World that Buells would be running in the Formula Extreme 200. What happened?
aeholton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2005, 01:41 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

There is an evolutionary theory that postulates that if a particluar life form goes extinct that another will adapt to fill the empty niche. For example, in the US the elimination of the wolf has resulted in coyotes, which normally do not run in packs, to in fact run in packs in the Rockies and do the sorts of things that wolves did. Since coyotes are more timid than wolves I don't get concerned when a pack of coyotes comes near camp at night when we are backpacking. One shot in the air from the .44 mag and they are long gone.

So it is here. Kook leaves. Others will take his place. The new ones that fill the niche are far less annoying.

Think of it as evolution in action!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:43 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Ummm, it's usually been that way in the big races. You were always pretty sure that Kenny Roberts would win. Or it would be between Phil Read or Jim Redman, etc.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:48 AM   #24
pdad13
Founding Member

Fifth Gear looks like it's got a production budget ten times greater than TWT (and significantly greater than MT and C&D). Corbin's Ride On and American Thunder are being bankrolled by their title sponsors mostly (Corbin and Vengeance), so you know there isn't all that much money behind either one. Plus, the content is aimed directly at their core customers. Fifth Gear is a legitimate auto news mag with some money behind it. My guess is that SPEED doesn't put much money behind any original programming unless it happens to be NASCAR.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:49 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

What? Really schlocky special interest shows that are simply infommercials thinly disguised as objectivity? In the US? Whoodathunk?!!?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:05 AM   #26
nokneedragin
Founding Member

This is just a guess, but I would say that the Buell guys realized that Daytona is stricktly a top speed track (the new infeild took some of that away), and decided to stay away. Its one area that the Buell boys can't seem to catch up on (top speed).
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:30 AM   #27
schizuki
Founding Member

It's not the budget that makes Fifth Gear, it's the clever writing and the hosts - knowledgable, funny, engaging, and they don't use that artificial style of narration that hosts here in the States insist on (listen to Larry Webster on C&D and the guy on Ride On - they do that fakey-chuckle-when-they-talk thing. Annoying).

Now, if you're saying the budget allows them to hire more talented writers - agreed. With the possible exception of Tiff, I don't think that would apply to the hosts.

Great show, innit?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #28
rider43
Founding Member

the 200 was a joke! i left after 31 laps of this charade.

to honda you should be ashamed

as honda rider & driver i was embarrassed

to ama , you lets us down

why wasn't the race composed of supersport bikes , giving the fans the level of competition we have come to expect.

to most the people i spoke with , there was not any doubt that duhamel would win his 5th. but does this compare with others who have won 5? i think not.
rider43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:40 AM   #29
sarnali
Founding Member

The segment TWT did on Triumph and the Ace Cafe` was interesting with a little background on Rockers and Cafe` racing culture(?) Not long enough but at least they tried.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:44 AM   #30
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

I was also wondering about the Buell's. What happened to Chandler on the Ducati? Wasn't Corse going to sponsor him? It was obvious, to me, that Honda was going to dominate the race (Hayes was a surprise). I was hoping for Buell and Ducati to add some flavor.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote