I’ll just skim the surface here to give you a brief overview. CE stands for the French phrase Conformité Européene, which literally translates to European Conformity. Just because the armor is CE rated doesn’t mean it’s for motorcycling. You’ll want to look for EN 1621 which designates the item is intended for motorcycling. EN 1621-1 is for limbs (shoulder, elbows, knees) and means no more than 35 kilonewtons of energy was transferred through the pad when tested for impact. For back protectors you will see EN 1621-2. Furthermore, with back protectors, you can look for the addition of Level 1 which means the pad has allowed no more than 18 kilonewtons of energy through when tested and Level 2 which only allows 9 kilonewtons to be passed through the pad. You may also see A or B, with B meaning the protector offers more coverage.

  • Jon Jones

    One page, please?

    • Ian Christopher

      Ditto, this feels like those Facebook click-bait lists.

    • Ryan

      I agree, guys. Sorry, it’s not up to me. Thanks for making it known, though. That’s the first step to change.

      • Jon Jones

        Thank you.

  • Walter

    Here’s a question that should be asked more often:

    “How close can you get to the online price of $whatever it is?”

    Give your local dealers/retailers a chance to price match- most will get pretty close to the online prices- and if they do, give them your business if you want local places to keep inventory for you to check out.

    The other thing is that online outlets often (not always) have tires & helmets that are close to their “sell by” date whereas brick & mortar stores usually have fresher stock.

    • Jon Jones

      Good call!