Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Yamaha

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
technosatyr
Registered Member

Default YZF600 question

I'm talking to a dealer who's selling a '06 Yamaha YZF600 for $5300. It seems to be in fairly good condition (I the cam chain sprocket seemed slightly worn, but the tires were new and the chain had no rust. That's about all I know to look at)

I've been trying to look the bike up online, but it seems to be really rare. I've seen YZF600R a fair bit, but I'm pretty sure this one isn't an R. Not being able to fidn it easily makes me a little nervous.

Is there anything I should know about this bike? Any problem areas or anything like that?
technosatyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

First, there is not one 06 Yamaha that can be considered rare. Unless you're buying a prototype/show bike. You aren't.

Second: damn, you pulled the engine apart to have a look at the cam chain sprocket? Wow, that's pretty thorough.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
technosatyr
Registered Member

naw, didn't do that. Just looked at the one on the back wheel. It's a sprocket too, isn't it?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

It's the rear wheel sprocket. The cam chain is what makes the intake and exhaust cams turn.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
technosatyr
Registered Member

Oh. Well, obviously everyone can tell how little I've managed to learn so far :P
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

It's ok. We all have to start somewhere, and that is usually at point zero!

By the way, I went hunting for YZF info and I can't tell if there is any difference between the 600 and the 600R. It seems to me that the major difference in Yamaha models was between the YZF 600R (the less-aggressive bike) and the R6 (the all-out sportbike.)

Would this be your first bike? If it is, nearly EVERYone here would counsel you to find something different. Check the Learning to Ride forum - there is a sticky thread there that goes on for pages about good bikes for learners.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I believe the only difference is the "R" designation was put on it to make it faster (the big yellow stickers weren't helping enough)

IIRC, this is the bike that the R6 "replaced" back in the late '90s, but Yamaha has kept it around (essentially unchanged) as it's a perfectly good motorcycle, and tooling is already amortized-out.............

I seem to 'member one of the names they had for these was "Thundercat" or some-such.

While I wouldn't actually call this a "beginner's bike", I must say it's a damn-sight more-forgiving than an R6 or R1. The main problem being, it IS a (former) SuperSport, and it IS covered with easily-broken-when-dropped plastic.

This bike likely will not suffer fools any more-gladly than the current R6, and will probably throw you to the pavement then body-slam itself on top of your face if you hamfist the throttle.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-29-2008 at 11:53 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
technosatyr
Registered Member

Well, it's honestly bigger than I'd prefer to start with, but my choices here are limited. If I had my wish I'd be riding a ninja 250, as I can afford it and I've heard it's a great beginner's bike. I've called every bike shop within 60 miles of here though, and only found one dealer who has one; it's used and he wants MSRP value for it, and refuses to negotiate. Besides which he makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don't trust him. (the warranty he gave was for one month and only covered half the cost of repairs. Refused to allow me to bring a mechanic to take off the plastic and look at the engine, and refuses to let it be test-drove. All those things together make the whole thing feel iffy) There are no other 250cc bikes available.

He is, it turns out, also the only dealer in town who has any 500cc sportbikes. He has two, both in colors I don't like, and again, I just don't trust the guy.

So the next step up seems to be the 600cc bikes, which are more than I really want, cause I AM new, but I don't seem to have any other acceptable options. I need a bike soon (as I don't have a car and this'll be my main transport) so I can't wait for the 09s to come in. I'm checking the classifieds and visiting people, but since it's going to be my primary transportation I'm very wary about buying used through anyone but a dealer. Also my ability to go visit them is limited, as they tend to live an hour or two away and I've got to bum rides.

My celing budget is $5000. The YZF600 is $5300, but I think I can squeeze that through. Most people tell me I should start on a small bike. Many people agree, but also say that if a person is careful they can learn on a larger bike, and anything less than an 800 won't be *too* tricky. The only experiance I have so far is years on a bicycle, one MSF training course. Is starting on a smaller bike important enough to risk buying one from someone I don't trust? Is it important enough that I should go without any transportation for a month or more while I wait for new bikes to come in?

Any advice? Things I haven't tried or thought of? I fully admit that I'm a neophyte and need all the help I can get.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by technosatyr View Post
I've called every bike shop within 60 miles of here though, and only found one dealer who has one; it's used and he wants MSRP value for it, and refuses to negotiate. Besides which he makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don't trust him. (the warranty he gave was for one month and only covered half the cost of repairs. Refused to allow me to bring a mechanic to take off the plastic and look at the engine, and refuses to let it be test-drove. All those things together make the whole thing feel iffy).
Good call.

I wouldn't recommend a Supersport for a first bike. However if you are determined to buy it you should take the plastic off for the first few months because like every new rider you are going to drop it once or twice in the parking lot.

Do check out the sticky thread on new bikes. Be sure to take the MSF course and wear gear. Above all respect the machine because those Supersports can get you in a shytpot full of trouble in a hurry.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Have you considered a dual-sport bike? They are much less powerful than a supersport bike for the same engine size, and you should be able to find them for a lot less money too.

Where are you located, by the way? What resources are you using to find the bike?