Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Yamaha

Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You should be OK on it. Just remember the three stages of learning..

1. Oh God I have to be carefull..I'll take it real easy..

2. Well I've made it this far, I think I know it all now...lets just see what this baby'll do....

3. (assuming you survive stage 2..) Haysoo Cristo that was a close one !!!! guess I don't know it all after all, I better get back to practicing..

We all go through it, usually in the first 6 months of riding, just gear up and practice braking and swerving, that's the most important skill and the one you need to work on most. You have to be able to stop and/or avoid the many numb-nuts you'll be meeting in your day to day motorcycling.
Good Luck and ride safely

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Are you in the U.S.? If so, find a Ninja 250 or 500 on your local craigslist or if there aren't any in your neighborhood, find one relatively local on eBay. You can have it checked by a mechanic for $99 if you don't trust the buyer, and the purchase is covered by eBay purchase "protection". If you need shipping there are lots of options, and uShip.com is one site you shouldn't forget to check out. I bought a Ninja 250 locally a few years ago that I saw listed on craigslist, and I bought another bike via eBay. I'm in the midwest and the bike was in Florida. I found a guy on uShip who was coming my way and was able to transport it for $325; you might have to pay a little more, but it's possible to find a similar deal. Another site to check out for bikes is cycletrader.

Do yourself a favor as a new rider and get something a bit easier to manage as a first bike than a 600cc sportbike. You'll be glad you did.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
technosatyr
Registered Member

I'm in Huntington, WV. Been cold calling dealerships, looking at the little bike ad flyer things from the supermarket and the internet. Actually found a harley shop today that's got a new ninja 250, but it's $4,500. I've got trouble paying $1000 over the MSRP.
technosatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You live out in the boonies. I checked the sites I mentioned and found the following ads. The Ninja 650 is the best choice, in my opinion, but I also found a 250 and (if neither of these works out and you can't find anything else) a Ducati Monster 750 you could look at, but that really shouldn't be your first bike.

eBay Motors: Kawasaki : Ninja (item 200241854471 end time Aug-01-08 15:25:29 PDT)

2003 ninja 250r

2000 Ducati Monster 750
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

The YZF600r is the best 600 "streetbike" made. It was supersport of the year in 97 on this here website. Its much heavier than the R6 and with a much more mellow powerband. So its easier to ride and better in the wind. Its also more upright in the seating with the big soft single seat vs the r6's dual no padding jobber. It definitely is the best 600 to start out on if your going to start out on a 600. If you do buy it keep it under 5-6k on the tach the first 1000 miles, under those rpm its very docile though will still get up and scoot. Once you got some miles and spent many o free time practicing in a huge parking lot or industrial park you can start to crack the throttle a little more. I have had 3 friends start out on the YZF600r with care and they worked out fine. Take the MSF course, buy ALL the gear, gloves, boots, pants, jacket, FULL FACE Helmet. If you cant afford the gear, you cant afford the bike. WV gets a little warm, do not buy black gear, you want to be seen anyway. Personally I recommend a KLR 650 or similar dual sport if your tall enough to start out on. 1/3 the HP and normally more affordable for price and insurance. But if you HAVE to HAVE a 600 the 600R is the bike. Buy a double bubble windscreen and you'll be a happy Clam. Read all 300 posts on the new riders thread!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

This is a mid 90s bike the model code is yzf600r not to be mistaken with the yzf600r6 or even the yzf600r6s. Because of it being an older bike this is one time I wouldnt be afraid to use it as a starter bike.

However it will have alot more power than a 250 would. With careful riding and a smart rider and alot of practice you should be fine. Just stick to sarnali's 3step rule. Good luck!