Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Yamaha (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/yamaha/)
-   -   1982-3 Yamaha 400 doesnt start.. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/yamaha/7836-1982-3-yamaha-400-doesnt-start.html)

yamatrike400 04-20-2008 03:18 PM

1982-3 Yamaha 400 doesnt start..

A few years ago i picked up a 1982-3 yamaha 400 for 150$ that i welded a ATC axle on the back to make it a 3 wheeler for offroading.I was mudding with it and i revved it up to like 12k rpm and dropped the clutch to get out of a mudhole and it broke the 1st gear into pieces.This was after about a year of abuse.I finally put the tranny back together in it,i also replaced carb bowl gasket,needle,and seat.(54$ ouch) but now she wont fire up,all it does is blow flames out the exhaust once in a while(tried with exhaust on and off) i did not mess with valves,timing,nothing.any ideas?She ran WONDERFUL before i tore into the tranny.
It has great spark on both plugs(plugs are new)and when i have the right coil wire on the right plug and the left on left plug,the engine blows out flames with more of i light poof sounds,when i have the wires opposite,the engine actually sounds like it fires but only once in a while and also backfires out carbs.ALSO, when the wires are right coil to right plug left to left,when turning over,the engine will momentarily stall like it gets a massive amount of compression..

If anyone could help it would be awesome i really miss this thing.Heres a pic

The_AirHawk 04-20-2008 03:53 PM

Looks like hammered cat shyte, I bet that thing's a HOOT !

You're absolutely certain you haven't broken something else, like say - the timing chain? Or that it didn't jump-time with the 12K neutral-drop?

yamatrike400 04-20-2008 04:52 PM

Oh yeah shes fun, its amazing how good she did in the mud having that skinny front tire.Ya just gotta keep the front end up :-D

As far as i know it did not skip because it ran fine before i took it apart.Everything checked out fine before i put it back together not much damage at all.Also has 130 lbs compression in each cyl.

yamatrike400 04-21-2008 05:35 PM

Anyone? I would love to get this thing goin again.

seruzawa 04-21-2008 06:05 PM

To get into the tranny you had to pull the engine completely apart right? Better check to make sure that your camshaft and ignition timing was put back together properly. Then do a compression check. I sincerely hope you have a manual. If you put the camshafts in wrong you may have bent some valves. If you didn't align the ignition pickups properly it'll never run.

BrowningBAR 04-21-2008 06:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
That's one f*cked up looking vehicle you got there! I like it! I have no idea how to help you out, though, but I hope to hell you get it working again.

It looks like it needs a rusty gun mount with some ridiculous looking black powder gun attached to it. Maybe a good costume to go with it as you make your nightly trip to the Quickie Mart for a slurpie. Oh, maybe an old Civil War styled Gatling Gun. That would look pretty crazy. See attached pics for costume and gun choices.

Buzglyd 04-21-2008 06:15 PM

I don't know how to fix it but.......

Do you tow it to the mudhole with that car that has the window mounted air-conditioner duct-taped to the side window and the portable generator settin' in the trunk to provide electricity? ;-)

yamatrike400 04-21-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 182993)
To get into the tranny you had to pull the engine completely apart right? Better check to make sure that your camshaft and ignition timing was put back together properly. Then do a compression check. I sincerely hope you have a manual. If you put the camshafts in wrong you may have bent some valves. If you didn't align the ignition pickups properly it'll never run.

I just split the bottom half, didnt have to mess with upper end of engine,ALL i did was replace the gears.There is only one way to mount the stator plate,so it must be right.And yes i have a manual.This is really stumping me.

And alot of people have said things about mounting a gun on there ahahah

And no, the mudholes in my back yard :D

seruzawa 04-21-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamatrike400 (Post 183002)
I just split the bottom half, didnt have to mess with upper end of engine,ALL i did was replace the gears.There is only one way to mount the stator plate,so it must be right.And yes i have a manual.This is really stumping me.

And alot of people have said things about mounting a gun on there ahahah

And no, the mudholes in my back yard :D

Well cripes, then if you are getting fuel and have a good spark then it should run.

One thing that has caused me some trouble on carbbed bikes is the choke or mixture enrichment circuit. Sometimes that will cause trouble if it's not adjusted correctly.

Or maybe you pulled a wire loose or have a poor connection somewhere in the wiring harness.

F()cker should run.

mscuddy 04-22-2008 08:25 PM

You messed with the timimg somehow and have to get it back right. See if the marks on the alternator stator line up with the marks on the case, and cylinder no.1 exhaust valve should be shut (that's the way it was on my '80 Vision), it's in your manual somewhere.