Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Yamaha

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
xv70086
Registered Member

Question 86 Virago 700 Backfiring??

Hey, Everyone I recently purchased a 1986 yamaha virago 700.Today i cranked it let it warm for about 5 min. Then i drove away and it was like it didnt have much power backfiring and pretty much to kind of like it was flooded. any thoughts? Would be appreciated, thanks john
xv70086 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Could be that it IS flooding-out. How old is the gas? When was the last time it started and ran normally? Could be crud in a float-needle, could be plugged jets or emulsion tubes, could be torn carb-slider boot, could be mice in the airbox..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
xv70086
Registered Member

Exclamation Does this help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Could be that it IS flooding-out. How old is the gas? When was the last time it started and ran normally? Could be crud in a float-needle, could be plugged jets or emulsion tubes, could be torn carb-slider boot, could be mice in the airbox..........
Well I was looking at it yesterday. One of the tubes going into the carb it looked like there was a lil gas that had dripped out. The guy i bought it from said the carbs had just been cleaned not long ago. Thanks guys, this is my first bike so im tryin to learn the ropes so thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
xv70086
Registered Member

Question One more question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv70086 View Post
Well I was looking at it yesterday. One of the tubes going into the carb it looked like there was a lil gas that had dripped out. The guy i bought it from said the carbs had just been cleaned not long ago. Thanks guys, this is my first bike so im tryin to learn the ropes so thanks for the help.
Hey guys I was wondering how do you drain the fuel out of it? I think maybe it has some pretty old gas. thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

There is usually a valve called a "pet****" on the tank. You can close off the fuel flow with that. Then take the hose off the tank and get a can set to catch the gas when you re-open the valve. Or, you might be able to take the hose off the carb end and run it right into a can.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
xv70086
Registered Member

Exclamation low power

Quote:
Hey, Everyone I recently purchased a 1986 yamaha virago 700.Today i cranked it let it warm for about 5 min. Then i drove away and it was like it didnt have much power backfiring and pretty much to kind of like it was flooded. any thoughts? Would be appreciated, thanks john
OK, Well got that fixed, I had changed a fuel line an it was leaking because the hose clamp wasnt on good. Duh huh lol but now when i take off its really slow. Then at like 3500 rpm it takes off a lil better. Also it has drag pipes on it. And the rear one gets hot pretty fast but the front really doesnt get that hot. And it blows cool air. Any thoughts? Thanks alot guys --Proud Newbie lol
Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
OK, Well got that fixed, I had changed a fuel line an it was leaking because the hose clamp wasnt on good. Duh huh lol but now when i take off its really slow. Then at like 3500 rpm it takes off a lil better. Also it has drag pipes on it. And the rear one gets hot pretty fast but the front really doesnt get that hot. And it blows cool air. Any thoughts? Thanks alot guys --Proud Newbie lol
Drag pipes are a bad idea all around. The front one not getting hot is more troubling though. It is not firing correctly. I would check the spark plug for fouling first, and then check the ignition if the plug looks fine. Did the bike run like crap the day you got it?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
xv70086
Registered Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Drag pipes are a bad idea all around. The front one not getting hot is more troubling though. It is not firing correctly. I would check the spark plug for fouling first, and then check the ignition if the plug looks fine. Did the bike run like crap the day you got it?
No, Actually when i got it took off pretty fast. Now its slow off the line. Air is coming out off the pipe tho its blowing hard just not hot?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
No, Actually when i got it took off pretty fast. Now its slow off the line. Air is coming out off the pipe tho its blowing hard just not hot?
Air will always blow out of the pipes. It's the combustion that makes it hot, and it looks like there is none in the front cylinder. Running on one cylinder will make it very slow. You need to find out why the front jug is not firing.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
xv70086
Registered Member

Exclamation Hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Air will always blow out of the pipes. It's the combustion that makes it hot, and it looks like there is none in the front cylinder. Running on one cylinder will make it very slow. You need to find out why the front jug is not firing.
Ok, I will go out when i get home in like a hour and a half or so. And check the plug and the ignition anything specific I should be looking for? Thanks again for all the help. -- Newbie