Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Yamaha

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv70086 View Post
No, Actually when i got it took off pretty fast. Now its slow off the line. Air is coming out off the pipe tho its blowing hard just not hot?
It's when the air STOPS blowing-out of the pipe that you know for-sure that you broke something.............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Ok, I will go out when i get home in like a hour and a half or so. And check the plug and the ignition anything specific I should be looking for? Thanks again for all the help. -- Newbie
Look for black fouling on plug. Pull rear plug wire. Connect front plug to wire, but don't install in engine.Turn over engine with the ignition on, plug out and hold metal threaded part of plug on engine and look for a spark when turning motor over. No spark = no combustion. If plug looks good and sparks, time to look at fuel probem in that cylinder.

Last edited by longride : 03-31-2008 at 11:58 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
xv70086
Registered Member

Talking Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
It's when the air STOPS blowing-out of the pipe that you know for-sure that you broke something.............

Well I found it the plug was fouled I guess. Man it runs like a brand new one now after the smoke got out at least. I just wanted to let you guys know I really appreciate all the help you gave me. --John
xv70086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
xv70086
Registered Member

Default Always somethin huh?

Quote:
Well I found it the plug was fouled I guess. Man it runs like a brand new one now after the smoke got out at least. I just wanted to let you guys know I really appreciate all the help you gave me. --John
Well guys seems there is another problem. I cranked it up and now it backfires from the front cylinder a little bit. For a lil while after I replaced the plug it ran good. Any thoughts?
xv70086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Backfire often means an air leak. Check the exhaust pipe's connection to the cylinder, and on down the exhaust to be sure it's solid and that there are no leaks along the way.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Well guys seems there is another problem. I cranked it up and now it backfires from the front cylinder a little bit. For a lil while after I replaced the plug it ran good. Any thoughts?
Something's fouling the plug. Possible sources:
Bad rings letting oil by.
Bad valve stem seals letting oil by.
Bad carb or FI adjustment causing too much fuel to flow into cylinder and fouling the plug.
Maybe not enough fuel causing a hot cylinder, and thus burning the plug.
Weak ignition system not creating hot enough spark to completely combust the fuel.

A compression test would tell you if you had an issue with the rings or the valves. The ignition can be tested by most shops cheaply and quickly. The fueling system can be a true journey of discovery.

Take your plug out and compare it to the chart you'll find on this link:

Spark plug diagnostic chart. - Ford Explorer Ranger Photo Gallery at Serious Explorations

The diagnostic you'll get from that can be very helpful.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 04-11-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
bbtowns
Founding Member

Ken's got the right idea, read the plugs and see what they tell you. Sachi is correct about backfiring, though lean conditions can cause it as well. Check with the owner's group, there may be a pilot jet adjustment you can do to the carbs (without removing them if you're lucky) that might help, but if it's running rich it won't. Your plugs will tell you what condition you have. Your front cylinder will typically run a bit colder than your rear due to getting the majority of the air cooling (but the exhaust is not cold).
Old 04-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

As someone who's owned a Virago ('82 750) you most likely have an air leak in that plumbers nightmare that is the exhaust system. Dump those trumpet shaped basoon looking deals and get some nice straight pipes from Jardine. They make a nice set, sound good too.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #19
silly
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my bike same exact year i had low compression in the front cylinder so i finally tore it apart and noticed it was out of time as well im putting it back together now it seems to be fixed hope i could help
silly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

My bet is it's in the carbs. Good luck let us know!