Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Yamaha

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
MK1Rab
Registered Member

Cool Just bought a new (to me) motorcycle and have a few questions

Hey everyone. Im in the middle of buying (still owe the guy some money) a 1981 Yamaha 650 Special. He had about 5 people looking at it and he told me what he told everyone else, "first person who has money gets it". So, I handed him $20 and its now considered mine. Im not sure if others were undecided or didnt think $20 would hold the bike, haha. I still owe him $380 on it, but its not a major cash burden, I was just broke this week.

I still have to send in the papers to my state DOT to get a plate and title for it. I guess it was registered in MD, and needs a title in PA. I still have to go through and figure all that out, but it doesnt seem like that big of a headache. Of course, I could be, and usually am wrong.

I have checked out insurance on it and for some ODD reason its only $80 a YEAR. Talk about AWESOME. Is it usually this cheap? I havent even taken a safety course, so I cant wait to see what it is after I do.

Alright, so I have a few questions. Is this a good beginner bike? I realize its a little too late to make this a good question, but im still curious.

The 650 model, does that indicate displacement? From one person im told the 650 special actually has a 700CC motor. Wikipedias page says the bike has a 654CC motor. Yet on the motor it has stamped 2500CC making it a 2 cylinder 2.5L, correct? Who is right, what is the actual size of the motor?

And my last question... What are the availability of parts for this bike? It runs and looks damn nice, but there are a few chrome pieces like pipes and mirrors and stuff that could be replaced. That, and the turn signal switch is straight up broken along with the starter button, and I really dont feel like using the kickstart when there is a perfectly usable starter.

Those are all the questions I can think of now. Feel free to chime in if you know anything, have any suggestions, and all that. Im here to learn, so please edumacate me.

Edit: I also forgot to ask. Is roughly 5K, maybe 6K miles decent for that bike? I really dont know how many miles a biker put on, so Im kind of curious.

Last edited by MK1Rab : 03-08-2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question
MK1Rab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

$400 is probably reasonable for a bike that old if it's running well.

That 2500cc thingie you see on the side case is the oil quantity. There should be another thingie somewhere on the cylinder block that gives the displacement.

I got one running for a friend a few years back. Parts availability is spotty. I had to get a carburetor form a junkyard because one of the CV boots was torn. But wheel bearings were still listed. Check an online parts source like bike bandit.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

If it's in good shape, you got a good deal.

That's a pretty decent beginner bike, not the best, as it's a little heavier than what I'd like to see.

Yep, isurance on a bike like that really is that cheap.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
MK1Rab
Registered Member

So, its about time I start getting more involved. Im still waiting on the paperwork from the DMV, and I still need to buy a helmet.

Here are some photos of the bike. I guess the old owner of the bike decided to let some kid ride it, and he laid it over. Oddly enough, its the son of my boss, and explains a lot.

You are right about it being heavier than most. I sat on my buddies GSX 450 and it felt like a feather compared to mine. I have driven it around the block a few times, and I really do love it. I really didnt know I could get to 60mph that quickly.

Here are some photos.

I do have a question about the tuning. With the choke all the way out, it would fire right right up but the RPMS would just jump up and down till it got warm enough to fully close the choke and idle nice. Now, the guy I bought it off of (its sitting in his shop till I get my plate and registration) backed off the screw on the left side so it sits and idles nice after you kick it. But, you have to give it some throttle to get it started, and when I put the choke in, it just dies. Confused on what to do here.
MK1Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1Rab View Post
So, its about time I start getting more involved. Im still waiting on the paperwork from the DMV, and I still need to buy a helmet.

Here are some photos of the bike. I guess the old owner of the bike decided to let some kid ride it, and he laid it over. Oddly enough, its the son of my boss, and explains a lot.

You are right about it being heavier than most. I sat on my buddies GSX 450 and it felt like a feather compared to mine. I have driven it around the block a few times, and I really do love it. I really didnt know I could get to 60mph that quickly.

Here are some photos.

I do have a question about the tuning. With the choke all the way out, it would fire right right up but the RPMS would just jump up and down till it got warm enough to fully close the choke and idle nice. Now, the guy I bought it off of (its sitting in his shop till I get my plate and registration) backed off the screw on the left side so it sits and idles nice after you kick it. But, you have to give it some throttle to get it started, and when I put the choke in, it just dies. Confused on what to do here.
Turn the idle back up and live with the brief period of surging while on choke.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Change the oil and filter, if it has one, then take it out an ride it!

When the weather sux, break out the aluminum cleaner (like, Quicksilver) and the WD-40 and the Ospho (don't get Ospho on the alumiinum, just the steel), and go after the dull and rusty bits with either a SS or brass brush or paper towels. Avoid scotchbrite pads, unless you know what you're doing. They will screw up a finsh in a heartbeat. Also, do not use Simple Green or its cousins. It will mar the aluminum finish.

Do not use a pressure washer!

When you get the bits clean, put a protective coat on them. A good coat of wax for the aluminum and painted finshes, and some rattle-can paint for the corroded black and silver/chrome bits. I prefer semi-gloss.

You will probably find that trim and other chrome pieces are either not available, or extremely expensive.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

And budget for a new set of tires! I can smell the dryrot from here............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Let me know when you are done with that bike. I'l come up and take it off your hands.

Really.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
SmokeU
Registered Member

I miss my '79 XS650S basket case. I need another one. That's not a basket case.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Great bike to learn to ride and wrench on. If you smash it up somewhere, just take off the plate and hitch home. Can't beat a beater. And don't spend much time cleaning it, if any. It's fine just like it is. That way you don't spend more time cleaning it than riding it. Use it for what it is.