Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 12-03-2001, 10:21 AM   #1
stogieBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Higher profits in Yamaha

I suppose when consumers show up at a Yamaha shop they'll get to read company propoganda instead of actually seeing new models/parts. Good luck on higher profits Yamaha!
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2001, 10:25 AM   #2
desertbilly
Founding Member

It's hard enough to find a popular model at a dealership now. So they're going to cut back inventory 30% more? Ouch.

Someone wrote in one of the comments a few months back that the reason Honda doesn't send more of it's Europe-only models to the U.S. is that the U.S. dealers want to keep the number of SKU's down.

I do not understand how some of these dealers stay in business with such weak service, selection and pricing.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:26 AM   #3
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

That's not what they are saying. What they are saying is that they are making their current operations more efficient by reducing the inventory of things that no one wants. Overall inventory will go down, but inventory of parts/bikes that people want and are buying may actually increase.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:39 AM   #4
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Yup, you're right. IF Yam gets it right (a big if) a revamped supply chain manangement system should provide for less inventory on hand but a much faster method of replacing popular items. Items that don't see much movement should benefit as they will be able to take advantage of the increased swiftness of the transportation part of the SCM equation. In theory
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 05:31 AM   #5
Donster
Founding Member

Hey Gixxerboy, you never fail to say something intelligent...I remember you saying that your canadian...you wouldn't happen to be from Montreal?
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:27 AM   #6
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"I do not understand how some of these dealers stay in business with such weak service, selection and pricing. "

Small dealers often can't afford to stock large numbers of bikes. If they don't sell as well as the dealer thought, then the dealer is stuck with a bunch of inventory that will cost him money. Instead, they either trade with other dealers whent they need a particular model, or buy one from the manufacturer at that point.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:01 AM   #7
borgNSR
Founding Member

Yep, and we'll have all the propaganda we can swallow and not any more than that if they get the SCM thing worked out.

This bet has its risks tho. Weakest link in the chain stops everything (just like now), but you have far less time to react. Happy to hear they aren't upping the prices of the bikes to get profit.

borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:29 AM   #8
trickyrick
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ-1 price drop

I just read on Motorcycle News that Yamaha was dropping the price on the FZ-1 in Europe. Any news that the same will happen over here? Seems they are trying to match the price of the Honda 916. If I got the exchange rate right, it shoud sale for around $6500 over here if they drop it the same.
trickyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:47 AM   #9
stogieBill
Founding Member

Not only do they experience less sales. They can be curtailed delivery of some models unless they stiock the entire line. Double ouch!
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 11:04 AM   #10
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default euro trash

We don't get the euro bikes because americans refuse to buy the darn things. The big sport tourers, naked/standards and commuters are museum material in "Harley and sportbike only" USA.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote