Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 08-10-2001, 01:29 PM   #1
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Pick the colors of the new R1

SOLID COLORS PLEASE!!!!! I'm so sick of graphics... ugly stickers all over nice looking bikes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2001, 01:57 PM   #2
darkspy
Registered Member

I agree on solid colors. How about a Fly Yellow or something? Or, a charcoal grey for stealth? I'll take 3!!!
darkspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:01 PM   #3
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Default Wow. Orange and Purple.

Yamaha asks: "Why was this your least favorite?"

Well, it's fugly. REAL fugly.

Why is that not an option?

Bat_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #4
darkspy
Registered Member

Default Your favorite?

Just wondering what everyone's favorite option was from the Yamaha website?

I thought solid would be coolest, but I decided I liked the black custom with red flames the most. I've been into the black and red color scheme lately.

Matt
darkspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:20 PM   #5
TeamProBono
Founding Member

So, Yamaha wants me/us to supply them with marketing information for free? No t-shirt, no key ring, no complimentary beverage, not even a chance at winning the new R-1 or a 2002 Yamaha Road Star Warrior?

Sheesh, I've already got a '98 YZF600R, how much more do they want from me?

What I really want to know is whether the stylists at Yamaha really thought that they had come up with the 10 best color schemes/monochrome choices out the color pallettes?

#3 is "yellow-but-we-don't-want-to-look-like-Ducati-or-Honda-yellow-so-we-chose-an-ugly-yellow". And, #'s 7 and 8 look like someone snuck into Suzuki's Hamamatsu paint plant and used their striping machinery. Word to the Tuning Fork Co.: just say NO! Not even the mad dog Brits will go for the Neil Hodgson homage of #8...

I agree with the others that simple is better (or at least uncluttered). The tasteful all-silver (#2), the black and red "flames" is nice, so are the white & black and yellow & black "fade" schemes. I think the "champion" stripe theme should only be used every 5 to 10 years, otherwise it loses its appeal and gets old fast. Just my very IMHO, you know?

Funny--you get the info here for free, Yamaha will have to come and get it if they want it, much as I love them...
TeamProBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 05:59 PM   #6
jaylie
Founding Member

There's something cool about a solid silver bike-- if it's done right, like some models over in Europe. i know a guy in my neighborhood with a silver Triumph 955. I've seen pics of silver Aprilias that look trick, too. They don't look bland at all--just really clean--mechanical and sophisticated.

and enough with the stick-on graphics, already. . ..
jaylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:22 PM   #7
assfalltcalamari
Founding Member

Yamaha get a clue! Put more effort into developing a world ass-beating superbike instead of silly color schemes. If you make a bike that DEMANDS respect (you did it before!) it won't matter what color the bike is. Look at Ducati, simple red and yellow for their base model superbikes. IMHO, If you want to REALLY take design schemes in a TOTALLY new direction, make a clear plastic fairing that shows off the technology like naked bikes yet has the full fairing to cover the engine. That would be SO COOL!
assfalltcalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 09:11 PM   #8
threezero
Founding Member

Solid Matt black/gray, Titanium, Solid Mika Blue, Aprilia silver or custom paint like white background wif yamaha blue race stripe is cool!! Have the pic in hardcopy, will post to you guys on the net in future.

The fire @ #4 - Black Flag is not fierce enough, too simple, seem like design by an amateur designer. Should use real fire design.

Ciao
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 09:21 PM   #9
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Clear? Then they'd have to hide all the wiring and hoses, but you'd still have to pay major cash for the plastic if you wrecked. Plus, imagine washing the bike. The inside would still be dirty so you'd have to pull off the plastic, wash the inside, then wash the motor, then put the plastic back on. And I gotta disagree on the color thing. If they made the R1 in that purple and red (#5) scheme, they'd have a few bikes left on the dealership floor.
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 11:47 PM   #10
badsac
Founding Member

Default I like all three of the solid schemes.

The race replica schemes have been done by them before, so forget about them.

And bugger those custom and flow schemes. They all look like crap. Everytime I see a try-hard scheme like those it reminds me of early nineties GSXR's or ZXR's. Remember the ones with the PINK surfboard graphics? I felt embarrased for the poor baztards riding them. Notice how you don't really see any of them about anymore.

No I think solid colours are the go. They highlight the excellent lines of todays bikes. I think you only should go with those surfboard schemes if your designers are sh1t, and have buggered the styling of the bike in the first place.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote