Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 06-11-2001, 09:01 AM   #41
dnakase
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases a Bulldog

Did you slap her and order her back to her trailer?

Did you tell her that motorcycles made here by Kawasaki and Honda have more Amurikun content than HDs?

Grow up Middle America.

As for the Bulldog why not? Sell a limited run. Market it as the best of Italian Design and Japanese technical prowes. Yamaha could even canabalize all the crusers that are sitting in showrooms as we speak....

dnakase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2001, 11:14 AM   #42
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

Acutally, torque is what moves the bike from a standstill. Horsepower is felt at the top end. You want a great stoplight racer, you need TORQUE. Hence the Buell Cyclone in my garage. V-Max is no joke though. Happy riding!
ACE1100rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 01:17 PM   #43
gappy
Founding Member

Default What WE need!

The Bulldog is nice enough, and, being italian, I can see it being moderately successful in Italy and a few other euro-countries (Germany, maybe). No way it's coming to the US.

All this quarreling about Buell inspiration is from people who don't know that Buell itself is a derivative bike (and a mediocre one). The inspiration and positioning of the bulldog seems more the Suzuki VX800; a very nice bike that lasted only three years.

Here for what we'd like to see here (either from Yamaha or someone else)

i) the MT-01 or waddyacallit, a long-due successor to the V-max!

ii) an AFFORDABLE supermotard: a bike lighter than a supersport 600, with a single or twin engine, a 3-3.5 gallon tank and very easy to handle. All below $6000;

iii) a new fazer 600 with detuned motor, half-fairing, centerstand, good rear mirrors, good passenger pillion and bungee hooks, witha price tag below $7000. The market for lightweight standards is absorbed almost entirely by the SV650, and there's room for more bikes;

iv) updates for the TL1000S and VTR1000, both below $9000 (otherwise no one will buy them an will go with the FZ1);

v) a VFR800 with modular rigid side bags.

gappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 01:22 PM   #44
mheinee
Founding Member

Pecisely!! Get your head out Yamaha and put one of motorcyclings best motors in a modern chassis and crush the competition!! The market is ripe for a powerful standard/cruiser/musclebike.
mheinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 06:11 PM   #45
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Well, actually, you're talking about power band width and the ease of driving a bike with lots of low end Horsepower. It's still Horsepower that moves the bike from a standstill, low end Horsepower. You're right that Horsepower is felt at the top end also. But Horsepower is felt everywhere. You don't need torque to make a stoplight racer, you need Horsepower, low end Horsepower, mid range Horsepower, and top end Horsepower. That's why your Buel (and I'm sad to say, even my VMax) will be beaten by a 600cc repli-racer, off the line, through the midrange, and at the top end. A 12 second Buel doesn't stand a chance against a 10 second 600cc (low torque) bike, even at low speeds. Try it sometime, at the dragstip. Choose off a good rider on a 10 second 600cc bike and see if you can beat him for more than the first 5 feet.

Now if you and your opponent want to race quietly on the street by just letting out the clutch at IDLE and then powering away from the stoplight then your Buel's low end Horsepower will do you well.

May all your Stoplight GPs be against uncoordinated youngsters on 600cc bikes ,

Rod

rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 03:55 AM   #46
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

You wrote:

May all your Stoplight GPs be against uncoordinated youngsters on 600cc bikes ,

Rod

I respond:

Judging from the average age and skill level of the "squids" around here, I think they are!

ACE1100rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 06:35 PM   #47
dominatr37
Founding Member

Yeah, yeah. Big deal. Ho hum. What I want to know is , where's the FJR 1300? That's the one I'm waiting for. naked bikes don't do anything for me, so while the Bulldog is sort of cool looking, I wouldn't want one. But an FJR is a whole 'nother story. Bring it on Yamaha!
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 02:00 AM   #48
TCAir
Founding Member

Looks like a BMW but with a v twin instead of a flat twin
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 04:13 AM   #49
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey PPlassm! Yamaha released the Kawasaki you wanted!

Git: That's right! I like this bike! It just needs some flames and a little less weight.

Pete P.

Old 06-13-2001, 09:35 AM   #50
Poser
Founding Member

I wish I could look- the site crashes my system!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote