Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 06-08-2001, 07:53 AM   #21
Hebgan
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases a Bulldog

As a former Buell owner ( and current R1 owner) I like this type of bike... it was a ton of fun to ride. BUT it was quirky and sort of low quality and very hard to get service done! But even Buell managed to get 101 hp out of that old sportster engine.

I am very interested in this bike, but come on give us a few more ponies! It doesn't have to be a sport bike but make it competitive! Get it to 85-95 hp and and keep the nice FAT torque curve and I'll trade in my R1 (gee, I guess I really am getting old!)
Hebgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2001, 10:33 AM   #22
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Default Strike two

I don't get it. Is this this all that's left of the brawny MT-01 concept bike, or something else

altogether? If the former, I'm really, really disappointed. Shaft drive? 68 h.p.? I'd rather mow

the lawn...almost.

Two years ago, after seeing the MT-01, I decided to hold off buying a new bike until either it or

an affordable Japanese motard came along. Buells look and sound great, but all those recalls

scare me. And KTM's Duke is just too unified-wow for words, but I can't justify eight grand for a

naked thumper.

Guess I'll keep waiting.
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 11:56 AM   #23
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default You mean...

they provided the power of a shadow without the need for and added weight of liquid cooling, and with a proper v angle instead of counterbalancer. Of course it's already been pointed out to you that the virago motor is older and more original than the shadow, I just wanted to point out that it's also better.

You got the part about the Buell right, but that's it. All the styling is loosely Buell based since Ducati didn't invent ugly plastic fenders, and that tank looks nothing like a beemer's. The tank does look a bit like a cross between a Buell's and Monster's though, so I guess there's your Ducati.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 03:51 PM   #24
jaylie
Founding Member

Whatever did happen to the MT-01? Is this Bulldog really gonna be it? I still have a desktop wallpaper of the MT-01. . .

I'm not pushing for more horsepower on a bike like this, but-- how did Yamaha (the R1 company) just get 65 horses out of an 1100 in this day in age?
jaylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 12:38 AM   #25
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Enough!

The concept of the BT1100 can be summed up in one word: enough.

Enough heft, torque and comfort to cruise the highway or autobahn all day. Enough lightness, power and handling to make one actually want to ride on mountain roads. Enough versatility and reliability to ride to work or to the grocery store. Enough styling to stop one from coveting thy neighbor's bike.

This is an everyday bike with enough fun, styling and comfort thrown in to make it satisfying. It would be a great only bike, to park beside the sport hatchback or diesel pickup truck.

It is not going to be offered in the U.S. because, as the posts here show, "enough" is mostly not welcome in the land of "MORE!!!".
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 05:16 AM   #26
Spooner
Founding Member

Default Re: Enough!

Except for the Royal Blunder Star, (which is a loser they will not admit), Yamaha has been making great cruiser products. Their V-Stars and Road Stars are just enough to make them winners. This new bulldog will most likely be just enough too...
Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 07:10 AM   #27
pwbyrne
Founding Member

I like the styling and I think it is great to see more 'cool' bikes other than big arse cruisers coming out. However that glory really should go to the V-Max. If any manufacturer is looking for a new niche to ply try that one! THe V-Max must be one of the longest selling motorcycles ever. The V-Max is on nnnaaaassssstyyyy lookin' bike. I love it! Only think is that it needs to be modernized in a serious way. Someone here said that standards failed because they were too generic, and they were right. The V-Max has a unique killer engine (that Vboost thing is a great idea), REAL street fighter looks, and street cred to boot. Nobody laughs at a V-Max, well not in a stright line anyway. So redo the V-Max and lets give those cruiser boys something to fret about, and strike fear into the spotbike crowd when your still in their mirrors.
pwbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 07:34 AM   #28
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Horsepower is determined by total piston area not displacement. The new Yamaha cruiser engines are all small bore long stroke engines and cannot produce much power because the long stroke limits the rpm and the small bore limits the valve size.

If you want to increase the HP of a single cylinder engine you must increase the piston area (like make it a twin) in order to fit larger valves (or more valves in the case of a twin), then larger ports, intakes, and carbs, exhaust pipes and mufflers. If you stroke the engine you can't put in biger valves so there's no point in increasing all the other things that make HP plus you can't rev the engine as high as with the shorter stroke and therefor you have to change the overall gear ratio, lossing the advantage of the increase in torque.

Displacement = Torque (which does nothing except shear the primary drive gear off of the crankshaft because with the primary gear ratio and transmision gear ratio and final gear you can change the torque to anything you want).

Piston area = Horsepower (which is what moves your bike down the road and is why 4 cylinders always make more power than twins of the same displacement).

Remember, displacement doesn't make Horsepower, Piston Area does, otherwise Harley's would rule the HP world! Oh, and the VTX1800 gets its HP from it's 4" bore, it gets a broad power bandwith from it's displacement.

rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 07:38 AM   #29
rodneyj123
Registered Member

I'm with you! I love my 2000 VMax and want more.
Old 06-09-2001, 07:55 AM   #30
rodneyj123
Registered Member

I own a 1981 XV920RH and put 36,000 miles on it in my first year. I put a 900 mile day riding from LA to San Fransisco and back (I've never machted that on any other bike). I also owned an 1982 Yamaha Vision, a 550cc V-Twin with a water cooled 10,000 rpm redline engine. Now I have also got a BMW R1100R and a 2000 VMax. I'm waiting for Yamaha to make a new VMax because I love the smoothness and power of the V4 engine, I will never go back to twins.