Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 06-08-2001, 02:56 AM   #11
banda
Founding Member

Default Styling

If you like the styling, you can thank the following:

[*]BMW - they loaned the tank from an R1150[*]Ducati - they provided the rear fender and dual exhaust from a Monster[*]Buell - they designed the frame[*]Honda - they provided a Shadow 1100 motor and transmission (but were too cheap to kick in the liquid cooling)
banda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2001, 03:10 AM   #12
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases a Buelldog

Don't forget selling it for less and having it hold together better. Buells seem to have AMF H-D reliability despite using modern H-D parts...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 03:17 AM   #13
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey PPlassm! Yamaha released the Kawasaki you wanted!

Forget everything you know! (Score: 1)

by pplassm on Thursday, May 31 @ 07:39:11 PDT

(from "MO Readers Speak Out" http://news.motorcycle.com/article.m...rder=0&thold=1 )

"Forget the updated sport tourer, faster, lighter, cookie-cutter sportbike, and more cruisers! Give us something new, something really exciting!

"How about a decent single or twin streetbike that's not a tiny beginner's scoot, has enough poont to keep with with traffic, and looks interesting? How about some dirt-track styling? How about anything that's just going to blow my socks off? I want a bike that's light enough and powerful enough to put me in jeaopardy of losing my license at every stoplight. This doesn't mean it has to go 150 MPH. It should have a standard seating position with lots of legroom. It should be minimalist, squirty, and loads of fun to ride..."

So, PeteP, how 'bout this (with flames on the tank, of course...)?

Old 06-08-2001, 03:25 AM   #14
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Styling

Leave Honda out of this; the Virago drivetrain being used is older than the Shadow.

The Buell influence is more obvious than any of the others.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:29 AM   #15
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases a Buelldog

FYI: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbuell/97m2.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbuell/99cyclone.html

Old 06-08-2001, 04:31 AM   #16
guzzi
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases a Bulldog

For those who thinks Buell did it first, you don't know anything... Yamaha built XV920R / TR1 which was a similar concept as Bulldog way back in early 80's, when HD was about to go out of business and who knows where Buell was.

anyway, I like this bike but would prefer MT-01.
guzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 05:07 AM   #17
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Immediately I agree with everyone regarding the "where's the horsepower" complaints ('specially from an 1100) however, allow me to make an observation.

I think we're seeing a new kind of cruiser appearing on the scene. An intermediate bike between the raked out hog and the streetfighters/monsters. Something that says "I'm cool, see my stylin' bike" yet can be ridden like a cruiser. All you need is chrome and a big thumpin v2... horsepower optional.

I'm not a great fan of 'flash' (ridin an '86 gixxer and all) but, for those who are getting back into riding, those who are tired of the laid back cruiser position and who don't want a corner weapon... not a bad plan I suppose.

Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 05:23 AM   #18
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

The world already has cool looking slow naked bikes. The Buell and Monster both fit the bill and are due for lagging sales.

Sure, the Bulldog looks good,but so does my 11 year old Hawk. The Bulldog ain't faster and is heavier, so why would I want one?

You asked for what we want. I want Motards. I have insane Motard fever. I want big Motards, little motards, spastic dual sports. I want these things.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 05:30 AM   #19
boxjoint
Founding Member

Although Yamaha did basicly mutate the Bulldog from other bikes(Buell M2, BMW R1100R, and the MOnster) it is a fine looking bike as a whole. Suzuki had trouble selling the VS 800 a few years back a one respondant stated however, did'nt all of the major manufacturers have trouble selling standards? In 2001, the standard seems to be the hot commodity providing that they have the performance to back up their styleing, which unfortunately the Bulldog does not. With such a large displacement, I would expect a minimum of 80hp out of such a bike.

As far as rip offs go, did anybody read about the sportster clone that Kawasaki is planning to release? That is a direct rip off! A foolish one at that becase anybody looking for a budget cruiser that has a narrow stance, easy maintenence, and American styleing would buy the sporster.

Minime stated that Yamaha does have a few bikes coming this way for 2002, as confirmed on the Yamaha web site. (They are going to post the new models on June 12) I am crossing my fingers till they bleed for the FJ1300.

boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 06:07 AM   #20
kypd
Founding Member

Having been accosted last night by some chick in

Pontiac for riding my "motherf$&*ing Jap bike" (82 Maxim) thorugh Cynthiana, KY, I am perhaps not all that keen on anything that tries to imitate American technology right now. However I think I can objectively say that I'm not thrilled by Yamaha's Bulldog. It falls in between a number of good bikes without exceeding any of them. It looks like a Buell, has almost the same displacment, but is down on power. It sort of looks like a Monster, but the styling isn't quite up Ducati's standards. No word on handling, but I bet that bikes from the SV through Cagivas up to a new Falco will probably outhandle it. This tendency to try to compromise in all directions is why standards faded out to begin with. Even the new standards (ZRX, Bandit, FZ-1) still have huge amounts of power.

However, thumbs up to Yamaha for putting the survey on their page introducing the bike. (see MO's link.) It's nice that a manufacturer just asks you what you think. Let's hope they use it. As for my suggestions, let's see a new V-Max.
kypd is offline   Reply With Quote