Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 05-11-2001, 04:04 PM   #1
bluedot
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha YZR-M1 Feedback

Sweet Bike ... congrats to Yamaha

I'm sure they'll do well with it.

Really sad to see the end of 2-strokes so close. Not just GP but MotoX as well, I know it's old technology and it's been long time comming, but I really hoped at least the GP bikes would always stay that way. Oh well, at least maybe some of this will filter to the street.
bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2001, 07:20 PM   #2
Nish
Founding Member

Well I guess the next couple years at least will be really interesting with both two and four strokes in the mix. I'd really hate to see the two strokes go away for good.
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 07:23 PM   #3
Haga
Founding Member

This is a little off topic... but still Yamaha. I've heard that with the pull-out from WSBK that the R7 is slated to be a full production model in the next year or so. Is there any truth to this(or even similar rumor floating around the industry)?
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 07:55 PM   #4
Gabe
Registered Member

Default The Two-stroke is dead! Long live the two-stroke!

Look. I Know how much fun two-stroke motors are, I've ridden two-strokes, I race against two-strokes, and I have a lot of respect for them. I know that they make much more power than four-stroke engines of similar displacement.

But let's face it, two-stroke GP bikes bear little relation to our daily rides, and we wouldn't know what to do with them if they were.

This Four-stroke thing is exciting- it will renew interest in GP racing, and the new technology trickling down will benefit all us motorcycle consumers.

I wonder if they will allow 500's to compete in the 250 class? That would also spark some interesting technology, technology far more affordable and relevant to you and me. Imagine a 100 hp, 300 pound 500-4 with a 18,000 rpm redline for under $12 grand.

Now GP tracks will have the shrieking roar of high-rpm 4-stroke engines, instead of the bizzare weed-wacker-on-crack farting sounds that the two-stroke 500 make.

The first 70 years of motorcycle racing were dominated by four-strokes. Now that Soichiro Honda's bad dream is over, we can get back to the development of serious racebikes.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:31 PM   #5
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Gabe

first off gabe, if you never were interested in grand prix bikes before, we don't want you now. if the type of engine was what attracted you - get lost. see, grand prix is all about the fastest racers in the world riding the fastest machines in the world. if that wasn't enough to make you interested, you ain't a true fan, got it? you squids who think you're gonna be a rossi-racer on the street just because your bike shares a softened version of a part on a grand prix bike make me sick. hope i set you straight. now go take up fishing, or raquetball or something
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 11:06 PM   #6
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: Gabe

I bet you are the type of guy that kicks puppies.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 11:51 PM   #7
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Lincoln, lincoln...

I'm sorry I pissed off an important GP racer like yourself. I'm actually even sorrier I'm arguing with a delusional psychotic- a sure-fire lose-lose proposition.

Where did I say I wasn't interested in GP racing? In fact, I was at the last USGP at Laguna! Were you? I'm guessing not.

Fastest racers on the fastest machines? Well, I think you're probably right, but many track records are held by bikes other than 500 cc GP bikes. Fastest riders? Probably, but they are also the best paid and supported.

These changes won't detract from GP racing- they will add to it. More teams, more riders, more variety- maybe the US will get a round again. What's so horrible about change?

Also, the technical innovations will benefit squids and non-squids alike. Since we are freed from the power limitations of two-smokes, (where power has hovered around the 180 mark for years) now the manufacturers will have to pour money into tire development. That means longer-lasting, stickier tires. Even a grumpy bench-racer like yourself can appreciate that.

As far as me being a "rossi-racer on the street", well, I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about. I ride a clapped-out SV650 and race an even worse EX250- my hopes of getting even the softest GP bike parts are slim indeed. And my squidly days are long behind me.

No fising for me this weekend, I'm going club racing! How about you?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 01:15 AM   #8
BONGTOKER
Founding Member

Default Re: Lincoln, lincoln...

I know what I will be doing this weekend. Just look at my name.
BONGTOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 05:57 AM   #9
deanmass
Founding Member

From that photo the designer 'knealing proudly', it appears to me that perhaps the asian facial expression for 'proudly' equates also to "sadly", "happily", "constipated", "having an orgasm", "having surgery", "being eaten alive by cannibalistic monkeys", etc. How bout a smile for cripes sakes! Seriously, I hope they keep the Matte Black paint if they produce it. I think that looks very cool.
deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 12:18 PM   #10
one2gofst
Founding Member

I seriously dobt that. They have charged an arm and a leg for the R7's they already produced. They couldn't sell them mass produced for any reasonable price due to the technology used on it.
one2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote