Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Yamaha News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/yamaha-news/)
-   -   Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/yamaha-news/424-yamaha-officially-releases-ow-m1-details.html)

BradGross 03-16-2001 03:39 PM

Re: Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details

is it me or does it look like a pillion cover on the back of that chassis?????

minime 03-16-2001 03:52 PM

It does, but it's probably carrying telemetry under the seat right now.

Patrick-of-the-Hills 03-16-2001 04:01 PM

The 4-stroke displacement limit is, what, 1000cc? (Didn't write it down earlier, not sure where to look now.)

Yamaha's inline-4 approach makes a lot more sense than Honda's (ahem) unorthodox V-5 thing from a product POV. Probably will steepen the learning curve once they're on the track, too.

Sponsors or not, what is the deal with this Ducati Dark/Rustoleum finish thing? As if that flat-black MV Agusta wasn't ugly enough....

Alan 03-16-2001 05:08 PM

I believe the 2002 4-stroke GP limit is 980cc

gixerlogan 03-16-2001 05:08 PM

Hey Suzuki, it's(r1) still kicking! Whack it on the head and go for the kill!!!

Just kidding.

I'm happy to see that Yami has plans to share its technology advances with the rest of us at some point in the future.

But for now.... GO KENNY!!!

Lincoln 03-16-2001 05:20 PM

this is old news, but they left out a few things...

taken from the post ride interviews with Checa and Biaggi:

"...the power is too timid..."

"...the bike is obviously heavier than the YZR-500.."

"...the tires were only lasting 2 laps..."

grand prix bikes are nearly perfect racing motorcycles. if you show up on a heavy bike that's down on power and shreds tires, you can kiss the podium goodbye.

hey Yamaha - better bring a few YZR-500's as backup

sculptor666 03-16-2001 06:33 PM

headed for the street

obviously this is on it's way to the street. if you look at the front of the bike you'll see spots in the fairing for turn signals, as well as the two piece seat... and the tape where the brake light should be. should be nice in blue.... of course i saw it on motorcycledaily.com a week ago.

sculptor666 03-16-2001 06:36 PM

black

it's called carbon fiber, squidly

Abe_Froman 03-16-2001 07:32 PM

It is well known...

Why are we messing with this? It is a well known fact that two strokes can make more horsepower with less displacement and therefore, less weight (yeah, I realize this is a generalization, so spare me.) There is simply no way this bike will be competitive in GP racing without some miraculous engineering, and even then, it won't take much for the two strokes to regain the upper hand. It will of course be King Of All Streetbikes if it is produced, and would rule the Formula Xtreme class, but GP? I'll believe it when I see it.

SB8RC 03-16-2001 08:08 PM

THIS IS GAY!

GP = 2 STROKES

GP FOURSTROKES TRYING TO BE AS GOOD AS TWO STROKES BY USING TWICE THE DISPLACEMENT.