Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 03-21-2001, 09:30 AM   #81
richardr6
Founding Member

Default Re: go stand in the corner, you dunce

Stay on a two-strokes much longer, and as far as racing goes, you will be standing in the corner. Two-stroke makes more horsepower, but according to Honda you have to change reeds and pistons out every year or other year to keep the horsepower up. As far as a NON racer goes, to me this unacceptable. As far as racing goes, they are going to a four stroke regardless of what you and I think.
richardr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2001, 10:15 AM   #82
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details

{cough...] Z1 {..cough}
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 11:48 AM   #83
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

{cough} Vincent Black Shadow {cough} Brough Superior...

How far back do you want to go? The '85 GSXR 750 was the first street bike mass produced first for racing and, almost as an afterthought (as evidenced by the evil front end etc), for sale to the public.

I cannot think of any earlier mass produced bike that was so focused directly on racing - the Interceptors, FJ's and Ninja's of the day were very fast but still street bikes.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 06:53 AM   #84
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

The bike looks good, and being a Yamaha owner, I hope they win (because everyone knows that if your brand wins a championship, your bike automatically looks 15% cooler). Still, all this 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke stuff makes me wonder what would happen if wankel-engined bikes (rotary-engined for you technical illeterates) were allowed to compete. Wankel engines are very compact and very powerful for their weight; would they not make ideal race bike engines?
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 10:51 AM   #85
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Good point! Norton had a cool wankel in their F1 prob was that they had a hard time classifying it as to displacement. I believe it was classed as a 750 yet 'technically' displaced around 500cc. Apparently shifting was cool as the oil injection (in the race bike) resulted in bursts of flame from the pipe! I don't know why it didn't catch on - maybe Norton just didn't have enough cash or the wankel development wasn't far enough along for bike applications. I'm not too familiar with F1 rules but fuel consumption could also be a prob... wankels are quite thirsty (a la RX7).

Anyone got any hard facts on why Wankels died in bike apps?
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 05:37 PM   #86
MrSpucial
Founding Member

Default A young rider adds....

Shouldn't SBK be making CC and power advancements instead of GP, and weren't the numbers 500?
MrSpucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 04:17 PM   #87
metal
Founding Member

I thought the new GP bikes, at least the 4-strokes, were gonna be allowed to run without silencers. But there's a can on the prototype. Hm....
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 05:33 PM   #88
Bandit1200guy
Founding Member

I remember reading an article on the old Wankel bike experiments of the 80's, and it seems to me they had problems keeping them cool. (Too, they have that fuel consumption problem!) I also like the idea of a rotary engine in a bike. The idea that an I.C. Engine can have so few moving parts is sort of alluring. But then again, I've heard way too many 1st and 2nd generation rx7's gone terribly, terribly wrong to ever <b>really</b> lust after such a thing. I'll try to stay happy with my B12.
Bandit1200guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 06:07 AM   #89
yzf1070
Founding Member

In the minds (and articles) of most bike mags (including this one) the FZR1000 ruled the big bore superbike market from 87 to 96. Then in 97 the YZF1000 was crowned king only to be de-throwned by its brother the R1 in 98 who remains on top until now. Let's see that makes 14 years of Yamaha domination in the big bore superbike class. You can have your gixxer 750. I'm talkin bout your top o the line big bore superbikes here not no middleweight, no midrange havin track bike.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 06:20 AM   #90
yzf1070
Founding Member

Let's think about racing for a moment shall we? Who has been the winningest manufacturer in the history of the Daytona 200? Who has been the winningest manufacture in the history of GP roadracing including 125, 250, 500 classes? Which manufacturer makes the current R6, R7, R1 (all of which go fast)? Say it with me now Y-A-M-A-H-A! Good point though on the saddlebags, the R1 is still slightly more comfortable than the fixxer1000. Oh well enjoy your next recall!
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote