Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 03-19-2001, 03:09 PM   #71
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details

All hail the new fixxer 1000 the new speed king of..... What's that Yamaha is fixing to unvail a new 990cc lumped yzr framed missile in 2002 built to compete on the GP circuit? Looks like it is yet again hello and goodbye for the Suzi fans, sorry but at least you can enjoy what looks to be your one year at the top of the Superbike heap.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2001, 09:03 PM   #72
Daniel_Gerous
Founding Member

Default I don

If you think about it, a 1000cc four stroke and a 500cc two stroke use the same amount of air, plus or minus for volumetric efficiency. They will both use 1000cc of air every two full revolutions of the crankshaft. I think the GP rules for displacement will match the two types of engines pretty well.

Comments?
Daniel_Gerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 03:52 AM   #73
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: I don

That's probably the smartest, most straightforward explanation for the rule that anyone's put forth yet.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 04:21 AM   #74
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: MV Agusta what?

At the risk of overextending this argument: Yes, revs are fine (tractability and ridability are better at the GP level). Yes, a well-balanced V-motor will be appreciably smooth, but that's the catch: How on Earth are they going to balance this thing? Three smaller pistons in front and two bigger in back (per current speculation), reciprocating with God knows what kind of geometry on the crank throws; it just doesn't make sense. And if all the pistons actually are the same size, forget it. Balance shafts are a possibility, but that's a lot of extra mass (both static and reciprocating) and friction.

From what I've gathered, the logic behind the design had to do with minimum dimensions in all directions, which is an interesting goal but not necessarily a significant one; it seems more reasonable to minimize the length of the motor along the wheelbase in order to fit a longer swingarm, per preferred current practice, than to achieve the packaging ideal of a bowling ball. (Hey, Honda, how about bringing back the inline-6? THAT would rock.)

Does anyone else wonder if this whole V-5 thing is just Honda's idea of a ruse, kind of a big screw-the-media/confuse-the-competition practical joke, and they'll have something more normal on the grid next year instead?

Yamaha is focused on winning? I hope everyone is.That's the immediate point of racing, no?

A 1400ish V-something sportbike? Well, sure, I guess in a VX1800 world too much really isn't enough anymore, but if it's not prohibitively expensive off the bat, like the VR750, the insurance companies would eat you for lunch. Could it really be that much better and more fun than the current batch of Open-classers, though?

Hatred? Life's too short.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 04:30 AM   #75
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Oh no, not another whiney Yamlover. Suzuki fans might even be hurt by your comment if Yam had more than one bike out there that can go fast... GSXR 600, 750, 1000, Hyabubba... oh yeah Suzuki.

Too bad Suzuki 750's beat R1's in top speed and every other racing measure - 'course you could always put saddle bags on your R1 and hang with the 'wings.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 05:34 AM   #76
Patroclos
Founding Member

Default Re: MV Agusta what?

Well, today a team of engineers with the good software could balance that engine. We don't know enough about it yet, but why not? The sizes of the cylinders and everything is not that hard to get them almost perfect with the good software and time to experiment.

You 're right about the size of the engine. Minimizing the dimentions is the logical thing to do. But on the other hand, the rumours say 230 hp, it seems to me you shoudn't have the shorter chassis, a little more stability for those few extra horses and kilos.

I 'm in for the 6 in line project.

You 're also right about the price of the 1400 V5 sportbike (and streetfighter version) but it would be great. I would have to save for a bit longer.
Patroclos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:50 AM   #77
Lestat
Founding Member

I hate to point out the obvious, but here you go. The GSXR1000 is a roadbike. The new Yamaha is a prototype racebike that is not ever going to be a roadbike. You could just as easily say Honda has a faster car because their F1 racers are quicker than a Corvette. Use your head Lumpy! And why do you sound like you own Yamaha? Do they pay you? Did you know Yamaha builds F1 engines too. You could say that this makes them better than exotic roadcars too. I'm awaiting your explanation of your illogical statements.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 05:55 PM   #78
one2gofst
Founding Member

One year on top? Did you forget the sportbike that started it all in 1985, the GSX-r 750. Came to the U.S. next year. It was 388 lbs and had 101 hp and there was a race kit availible to bump hp up to 130 hp for racing. All the other companies scrambled to try to keep up and eventually they did, but Suzuki has had much more than "one year on top."
one2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 06:05 AM   #79
Capt_Kawi
Founding Member

Default Re: Not the maufacturers

Not in my experience. I used to work in the aquaculture industry. Most of the small in-shore sites used to use 45hp Merc's of Evinrudes, until the Honda's came out. MUCH more dependable, MUCH better on fuel. Now you would be hard pressed to find a stroker on a work boat.

Now even the pleasure craft in my area are going 4 stroke for many of the same reasons.

I still have my old H-2, very strong but hard on juice and needs more tinkering than my old four strokers. To each his own.

(Kawi's long gone)
Capt_Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 09:23 AM   #80
richardr6
Founding Member

Default Re: THIS IS GAY!

To all you two stroke guys, fact is racing is getting away from the two-strokes. So, getting upset is doing.... DUH..... nothing. Point taken, two-strokes make more horsepower. Let face it, they smoke up the environment, and I hate the powerband of a two-stroke. Honda dealership stated that I needed to change the reeds and piston every year if I wanted all of the horsepower. WHAT! Something you two-stroke guys fell to mention, older the two-stroke, the weaker the bike! What even more is truly GAY is to ride around on something that sounds like a chainsaw! Owned two-strokes, the best thing about them was selling them. You two-stroke guys can get ALL upset and it bothers.... uh... no one. Better hang on to those 250cc, cuz Like or not everything is going to four-stroke!
richardr6 is offline   Reply With Quote