Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 03-17-2001, 08:06 AM   #21
dexman
Founding Member

Default Thank You Azrifel

for setting the record straight here. Some of these so-called GP fans are completely ignorant of the long 4 stroke history of GPs. Hailwood, Read and Surtees are just a few of the many 4 stroke GP champs. As for the 1000cc limit, litre bikes are popular, no-one rides 500s anymore so manufacturers probably want to use a capacity that fans can relate to.
dexman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2001, 08:07 AM   #22
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: this is old news, but they left out a few things...

YESSSS, and those are productions machines that are heavier and slower stearing that are making the same lap times, with maybe even less power
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 08:11 AM   #23
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default WHY CAN't WE UNDERSTAND THIS

ALL that is true. a 750 Yamaha or suzuki could beat a gp bike easily if they had the same weight requirements.... BUt they weigh a hundred more pounds and have a tad less power and they still are competitive.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 08:29 AM   #24
elitegroup
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details

This type of technology really gets my blood flowing. I really hope that all the major japanese makers let the water flow down hill into there street bikes. I know they do that some-what already, but with 4-strokes being in F-1 I really see great things coming along for the public to purchase. I just hope that the prices and availability are not so limited we have to watch gramps with the big bank ride by on his new F-1 street machine HE HE HE!
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 09:50 AM   #25
Bob
Founding Member

Default Re: It is well known...

There is an ecominic point of view too. No one is buying 2 strokes! 2 strokes have no future outside of the race track. Manufactorers are spending millions of dollars to develop 2 stroke technology that they cannot sell. They could use that same money and technology to develop 4 strokes and benefit their entire product line. As they say, it's the economy stupid!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 09:56 AM   #26
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Default Re: black

I dunno, I can't see the typical carbon textile patterns in the blowups. Besides, even so, who cares? You'd figure it would make sense to dress it up like an R1 or something for the press, at least. ("Championship" theme, anyone?)

The 125-class Daytona race is on in the background as I type, and the 250 Yamahas are more than holding their own.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 10:47 AM   #27
baldmtn
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details

Who is this "Why are we messing with this" idiot?

Buy a two stroke lately? Who cares if it is faster if I can't buy one I am not watching one!

No brilliant - I don't watch F1 either..... and I would have to say that I am not alone here.

baldmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 10:50 AM   #28
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: this is old news, but they left out a few things...

you 4 stroke dweebs are still marvelling over a very fast lap by Bostrom huh? well, i'll let you in on a little secret: the lap Bostrom set was during practice using qualifier tires. the lap record is held by kenny roberts junior on a grand prix bike DURING AN ACTUAL RACE. if you think that a Ducati 996 could hang with a grand prix bike, you need to learn a lot more about motorcycle racing. Bostrom himself would scoff at the notion that his bike could compete with a 500.

the yamaha 4banger grand prix has a long long way to go.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 10:54 AM   #29
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default that's comparing apples to oranges

4 strokes have made gains in dirt simply because the 4stroke provides traction in the dirt where 2strokes would spin the tire. completely different animal on the track my friends
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 11:03 AM   #30
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Just because they're popular?

So popularity is the only reason for allowing displacement up to 1000cc? I guess it couldn't possibly be that four strokes need twice the displacement to even get in the same ballpark as two strokes.

No one rides two strokes on the street anymore. People race them all the time. Bureaucrats have stuck their big snouts into environmental regulations so far that the optimal method of producing power is now illegal.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote