Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 03-26-2001, 07:28 AM   #91
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details

Yup I'm aware of all of that... As to whether this bike will be a road bike my money is on yes. A version of this machine will eventually replace the current R1. Yamaha also makes better stereo equipment, pianos, outboard boatmotors, jetskis and snowmobiles! So take that Mr Tangent.

Vlad the Impaler.
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2001, 09:37 AM   #92
thumper125
Founding Member

Default Re: i declare you "completely misinformed"-the best post

Must say yours was the most sensible post in a plethorea of baiters and flamers
thumper125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 06:08 PM   #93
Neonred
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Officially Releases OW-M1 Details

Don't forget the turbine powered bike I saw on Speed Vision last fall, during the ride, buddy had to back out at 180, cause he was running out of continent. Seriously? I think the fact that anything competitive on the GP scene can already lift the front end, still banked over and at triple digit speeds, I think the increase in tech and performance is going to have to come from the tire guys. Heck, I had an '84 Yamaha XJ750, that could lunch a tire in minutes, if not seconds if I wanted too, now triple that kinda power and see if you don't have to be a magician to control it "at the edge."
Neonred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 01:11 PM   #94
ngall
Founding Member

Default Re:

I'm sure no body is reading this any more, but has anyone ever heard of a turbocharger? A properly set up turbocharged four stroke can provide as much or more power than a typical two stroke as well as a decent powerband with the same displacement. Of course it would be heavier and more complex, but it would be very tunable. It would probably sound really cool, too. Besides, tire technology needs to improve before the power can be utilized. I'm sure the new 4 strokes won't be placing on the podium right off the bat, but in a few years they most likely will be. Either way, it will be interesting to see.
ngall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 12:02 PM   #95
terdog5
Founding Member

Default Re: this is old news, but they left out a few things...

If everyone has the same tires, won't it all be equal?
terdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 12:08 PM   #96
DeathCannon
Founding Member

Default Re: It is well known...

Like the first post said, 2-strokes are better race engines: BUT the rules allowing almost double the cc's for 4-strokes balances the game up a bit. The 4-strokes will weigh more, but, not that much more. They will have better power/weight ratios than the 2-strokes. As for engine braking, it just takes a different riding style, and I'm talking about use of the clutch and gears.

All in all, I'm excited about 4-stroke GP's, because the development will benefit us, the 4-stroke consumers! It will also be more interesting to see 4-stroke twins, inline-fours, V5's, going at it with older 2-strokers.

But let's all have a moment of silence for the 2-stroke, which will soon be but a memory. Bye, 2-stroke. We will miss you, the way your engine sounds, the way you vibrate at idle and lower revs, that old-fashioned character of "loose fullness" in your power-delivery and power-band. Bye, 2-stroke. We will miss you.

DeathCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 12:15 PM   #97
DeathCannon
Founding Member

Default Re: THIS IS GAY!

Preach it.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:41 AM   #98
DeathCannon
Founding Member

Default Re: I don

Very good point. I was looking for a rationalization to justify the 4-strokes, and now you gave it to me.

That being said, the 4-strokes can typically go faster rpm, thereby using more air. But rpm is another issue, and no one is stopping 2-stroke engineers from doing their best. Hey, to make up for that, that is why the 4-strokes give away 10cc's and are only 990, eh?

~DeathCannon~