Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 07-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: A Reader's First Impressions of the FJR(YCC-S).

I don't love the idea of surrendering clutch control (which I find very helpful and important) to the ECM--I like to be able to modulate and slip the clutch at will--but the hand/upshift-foot/downshift technique is very interesting.

I also like the idea the system includes what is essentially a quickshifter, although I doubt it has many practical applications on the street. Cool, nonetheless.

I can see how the system has some benefits and for some people will be worth the extra cost. I don't see it replacing manual clutches, but I can see similar systems offered on many bikes as an option. I don't think I'd really want it unless the system included a manual clutch overrride. Even then, eh...

Yeah, and why no 6th gear on the FJR? I never really understood that.

Nice job, Pierre.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Thanks apierre for the most informative article. Great pros/cons.. I could see where a system like this could be useful in heavy traffic...The FJR has a great kPPI of 83.48 well above the Honda ST, BmW or Goldwing.

for more kPPI click user info.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
mjs
Founding Member

I have about 1500 miles on my 06 fjr and I don't think that the lack of a 6th gear is an issue. In fact I think that I would not want a 6th gear with this bike. 70 to 90 mph in 5th seems to be right in the sweet spot and provides power for acceleration without a down shift
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
saaz
Founding Member

Its quite possible that the supposed 'problems' with the system are only because older riders are just used to the old clutch way of riding. Older riders includes everyone now riding or learning to ride!

When the technology is better integrated with all other bike systems (traction control, stability control etc etc) it will be the future. I must say active or adjustable suspension on the fly seems to be really worthwhile.

Just remember what you think of older guys complaining about modern bikes. That is what you will sound like!
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #5
GrisoDG
Founding Member

I hear next year they are adding a kickstarter!
GrisoDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
tripletango
Founding Member

I agree with Pierre. That is an excellent analysis of the bike. I have an 05A and an 06AE. In addition I ride a scoot with CVT quite a bit so am used to clutchless riding.

However there is a very distinct difference between all three. The AE like the A has a clutch and it is very controllable with the throttle. The technique of riding an electric clutch vs a CVT is very different because the AE is a far cry from an automatic. Open the throttle wide on the CVT and the bike is accelerating smoothly. Open the throttle wide on an AE and the rear wheel lights up, the front end comes off the road and you are hanging on! Flick into second and you are flying just as you would be on the A model!

Throttle control is all important on take off and for slow manoevers. It is a new art of riding and takes some learning just like using a clutch lever did when you first used it. I must say that using the foot lever is much easier for me to adjust to than using the bar flipper when riding fast. The foot lever is more naturally connected to your learned techniques. For around town the bar flipper is fine.

Light easy throttle openings results in smooth take offs and with partial throttle shifts are quick and smooth, downshifts are smooth and sweet.

Full throttle - the clutch engagement is virtually instantaneous. Take off on the AE is a thrill as the clutch modulates perfectly everytime resulting in near perfect drag launches if you are into that thing. I never got the A to launch like that but am no expert in that regard.

WOT throttle shifts require same techniques as riding the A. You can pin the thing and flick all the way through the box but there is some clutch slippage as the engine revs rise as the clutch releases and reengages. Not much but it is noticeable as is a slight retardation of the ignition that occurs initially when you flick for the next highest gear.

Just back off the throttle a hair as you select the next highest gear as you would on the manual model and the changes are fast and smooth. Changing down is sweet. The clutch modulates perfectly and matches tha engine with the wheels very smoothly. Again you can blip the throttle as you change down to smooth things out more.

i must say it is a joy to flick through the gearbox up or down as fast and as much as you like according to conditions. it is a great new addiction learning how to ride the AE.

One other thing the heat issue with older bikes has been alleviated by about 85% which is acceptable.

tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

They should be more concerned with getting the weight under 600lbs. Bikes over 600lbs don't deserve the label "sport".
Old 07-10-2006, 06:06 AM   #8
pdad13
Founding Member

True, so true.

But will someone tell me why the semi-auto is superior? I just don't see how it's clearly better for a street bike, save for sparing your hand clutch work in certain environments. That doesn't make it clearly better. For me, the jury is still out on this one.

Active or on-the-fly adjutable suspension I can totally see as worthwhile.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

What about a completely automatic transmission? Wouldn't that be more "advanced" than the clutched manual tranny or the semi-auto? If so, isn't each person who drives a stick shift car a "dinosaur" and an "old fogey"?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
pdad13
Founding Member

I think you and I can make the argument, and I think many would agree, that a manual transmission is much better for control. With cars, we've actually made it easier for people to pay less attention to driving. I don't really want to see that happen to bikes.

But possibly the larger issue for devotees on manual transmission is the viceral sensation, which is why the Hondamatic failed and you don't see too many motorcyclists trading in their bikes for scooters. Lots of people are buying scooters, but I doubt they're replacing motorcycles in the process.

Now, if a semi-auto transmission had advantages that outweigh its disadvantages, I'd be more inclined to believe. I just don't see it yet.