Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-19-2001, 07:59 AM   #1
Azrifel
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha announces 4-stroke GP bike

This is the 2002 championship winning engine. V5's.

Bit late, I already heard it this morning. (European time)

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2001, 08:00 AM   #2
Azrifel
Founding Member

Shag V5's! I see that you cannot use 'strong' language.
Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 09:39 AM   #3
DataDan
Founding Member

Hmmm. Doesn't sound good for brand Y, taking the safe and inexpensive route to a GP motor. For an inline four, "compact" means long stroke, lower revs, and less power. It may be moot for the 2002 season, since it seems the full power potential of a liter 4-stroke awaits development of tires to match. But tires will catch up, and Yamaha could be caught napping.

Vees will be the way to go because of their reduced width and frontal area. I'm inclined to think a V4 would be better than Honda's V5, though. If, as rumored, they're unable to use the power of a full 990cc, why carry the extra weight mandated for a 5 over a 4?
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 10:56 AM   #4
Chester
Founding Member

I am happy they are building an inline four. That makes it more likely to become a street bike in the future. And it may just be affordable. If Honda ever comes out with their V5 on the street, it will probably be super expensive, like the RC45. But, Yamaha did have the $30k+ R7, so maybe theirs will be expensive too.

I know, why not make a 990cc single, that thing will be super torquey and give a massage to the hands as the rider crosses the finish line in first place.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 11:09 AM   #5
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Awesome. While I love the crazyness and uniquenes of the 2 stroke gp bikes, there is no doubt about the way 'racing improves the breed'. I can't wait to see what happens to SS bikes in the coming years. After all Suzuki's managed to create monsters (new GSXR1000 - yeah baby!) without high profile racing series to compete in... imagine what a 2005 GSXR will be like!!! Might have to replace the '86 1100.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 11:15 AM   #6
pistonbroke
Founding Member

What the fvck are you talking about? :^)>
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 11:27 AM   #7
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default New R1?

Any truth to the rumors that this will influence the redesign of the R1? This will be the fourth year of production for the R1- quite a while in the world of bikes! The GP engine sounds a lot like an improved R1 engine: 5 valves/cylinder, 1 liter, inline 4 cyl, 4 stroke, etc, etc. Mmmm, improved R1, guaaaghhhhh (in the Homer Simpson voice).
Old 02-19-2001, 01:25 PM   #8
Smoker
Founding Member

Boo hoo! The two-stroke dying the slow death it had coming. Check out Superbike mag 2/01 for a snippet on the Aprilia direct injection two-stroke scooter motor. If they can only get that technology into bigger bikes and possibly make it to the street, there could be a major alternative for the discriminating buyer.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 04:29 PM   #9
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Ah!

So that's how you spell "guaaaghhhhh"!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 09:11 PM   #10
Sport-Tourer
Founding Member

I'm not behind this whole fiasco of pouring 4 & 2 strokes into the same pot. Because there is no model recognition to the 500 GP bikes, the manufacturers (through the race sanctioning body) are hell bent on pulling the plug on the most elite corps of riders competing in the motorcycle racing world. Their plan, beat the 500's with their 4 strokes, rule the industry & become the new sales leader. We judge what to buy based upon what wins in their respective class. Its quite evident. Honda wins the 600 supersport classes. Honda sells the most 600's. I always figured the 2 strokes lived this long so the manufacturers could demonstrate technologically, what they're really capable of. Nothing accelerates like a 500 2 stroke. It's the pinnacle of the sport. If profits are so important to you, why not start marketing/racing baby strollers. Not all parents allow their kids to get motorcycles, but guaranteed, a great deal of them rode in a stroller. Now convince them you've got the highest tech, easiest to push, best maneuvering stroller out there, sanction some races, the fitness nuts will go crazy, you'll sell millions. NOW that I've saved the day, will you Please leave the fargin' 500 class alone?
Sport-Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote