Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-14-2001, 12:29 PM   #1
lor
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FZ-1 Sneaky Peaky

Whoo-hoo! 1st Post!
lor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2001, 12:40 PM   #2
blademan
Founding Member

I must say that is a sweet pic of the FZ-1 up on its ARSE!!!!!!!
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
Haru
Founding Member

snout in the trough, minime? haha!

About the FZ1. I'll take a black one please. Or I would have, had I not just bought a new bike.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:12 PM   #4
Tristan7
Founding Member

I've seen the bike in person (at the Cleveland show) and I -and everyone else I talked to- was not wowed. Sure, it has most of the right ingredients, and is probably highly functional, but the looks are only marginally nicer than the Bandit. At 33 I'm still willing to accept sportbike ergos to get sportbike handling. However, I do see myself purchasing a bike like this in the next couple of years, along with a track-oriented bike for track days and perhaps racing. If I were in the market today, I think I'd either go for the Bandit or "roll my own" using a crashed R1, ZX9 or something.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:14 PM   #5
motorpsyche
Founding Member

It will be interesting to see how well the FZ-1 sells against the approximately grand cheaper Bandit 1200 and ZRX-1200. Especially when for the money you would plop down for an FZ-1, you can get a 600 supersport that would beat the FZ-1's performance for about 500 bucks less. I realize the 600s may not be the long-distance traveler the FZ-1 is, but lets be real. The majority of rides are under an hour out here in the real world. And the better handling, braking, and outright performance would more than make up for that to me. Let's see, $8499 for a new FZ-1 or $7999 for an R6. Hmmmm?
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 02:05 PM   #6
Tristan7
Founding Member

"...but lets be real. The majority of rides are under an hour out here in the real world"

I feel sorry for you, dude. My average ride is more like 3-4 hours. An hour ride would be plausable if I lived at one end of Deal's Gap.

You do have a bit of a point with the 600 vs. FZ1, today's 600s are surprisingly comfy for their performance. Beyond that, it's really apples + oranges, 600s will never have the TORQUE of those bigger bikes. People in this market are interested in 60-80 roll-on times, not quarter mile bragging rights.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 02:11 PM   #7
CBR1000F
Founding Member

As someone who spends between 1.5 and 2.5 hours a day on his bike, AND likes big power, I think the FZ-1 fits the bill. Added to all the amazingly weird things to fix on the Bandit 1200, I'll take the Yamaha, thanks. Make mine blue.
Old 02-14-2001, 02:37 PM   #8
desertbilly
Founding Member

OK MO, for my $11.94 I'd like to see a sporty-standard comparo. The FZ-1, the new R1150R, the ZRX-1200 and the venerable Bandit 1200S. Maybe toss in an Interceptor as a control bike.

I'm in the market for one of these later this year -- something comfortable but fun, that can handle some light touring with a little more windshield and the Givi's.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 03:06 PM   #9
Gwardy
Founding Member

Well I have no idea how many of you have or have not joined my site which is dedicated to the all new FZ1 but if you have not then get your butt over there and chat on the board...there are 32 members so far.

www.yamahafz1.com

My name at the discussion board is: modette
Gwardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 03:09 PM   #10
Gwardy
Founding Member

The European red version is sweet looking too bad it wont be int he USA either I'v had my money down on a Blue one for months.
Gwardy is offline   Reply With Quote