Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-15-2001, 02:33 PM   #61
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default who's real world?

I go as far as I can any chance I get. I can do it on a sport bike just as well--almost as well... but I've done 16 hour days to get in as much as possible in a vacation. And yes it was fun. A full on sport bike might be a bit much for 16 hours, although I'd be willing to try. A speed triple, bandit, or whatever would be no problem though. What kind of ride is less than an hour? That's not even a joyride? My ride to work is half hour, and that's what I consider a short hop and not very satisfying.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2001, 02:38 PM   #62
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default This argument is sorry

I used to worry about roll on ability too man. It just doesn't matter as much to ME as all the other abilities that a 600 is better at than bikes such as the FZ-1. I'm not willing to spend 500 more bucks on a bike only because it simply gets to 80 a little bit faster. Not everyone out there is interested in rat racing prowess.
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:41 PM   #63
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I hope suzuki doesn't do that

the bandit will give you all the power you want, it's so easy to get 150hp, or 250 if you want it (turbo--and it's cheap and easy). I hope the original gixxer motor lives as long as possible, it means more and cheaper parts for all those who want to do things their own way, build bikes, pass on a bike to their grandkids someday, or just aren't begging at the OEMs' feet.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:46 PM   #64
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default Candy bar

Okay, okay. So I may not be able to put as many miles on a bike as you. But, for me a 600 is just as fun (more so I think because it handles and brakes better) than the FZ-1. I just don't think the FZ-1 is worth 500 or so more dollars than a top notch 600 to ME. My opinion only. THAT was my point. Anyway, the better wind protection on my 600 EASILY makes my long rides WAY more enjoyable than on bikes of the FZ-1's ilk. Again, my opinion only. I don't give a hoot about power-to-weight ratios either. That only counts in drag racing and rat racing situations and is also HIGHLY dependent upon rider skills.
Old 02-15-2001, 02:51 PM   #65
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default Mine and that's the only one that matter to ME

I've ridden a Speed Triple and a Bandit 1200 for over 8 hours before. The better wind protection my 600 offers makes it a much more comfortable ride. I'm short so my 600's ergos are perfect. I am NEVER bothered by them no matter how long I ride. How a bike feels to any individual rider is highly subjective. In my own personal opinion, I'm not willing to spend the extra 400-500 dollars on a bike like the FZ-1 when any of the current 600s will do all I want with supreme comfort for less money. This is just my opinion so don't think that my opinion is what everyone else's should be too.
Old 02-15-2001, 03:06 PM   #66
richardr6
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FZ-1 Sneaky Peaky

To me the Fz-1 is ugly. Just my opinion. Long distances or short ALL bikes give me numb ass (that is where you have been on a bike "straight" for an hour and half or more without stopping). I ride a Honda F4 and have rode some of these other "more comfortable" bikes and didn't come away impressed. I am sure my F4 would give you just as much "comfort" as the FZ1. Plus, you are getting performance with the F4 or Kawa, R6, etc., for less money. I am sure that MO has one in already in their shop and pictures everywhere, since MO loves Yamaha. MO probably has the shootout already written were Yamaha has won and the other bikes just fill in the gaps!
richardr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 03:36 PM   #67
sanchin
Registered Member

Times are looking good for us old farts that aren't ready to move into cruisers. I bought a YZF600r

last year hoping to have a blend of speed and comfort, but just can't get used to the ride. I put had my dealer put heli-bars on, but after 200 or so miles I start to cramp up. I love the speed and handling of the bike, but at 40-ish, my body just can't take it. I also ride a nighthawk and a dual sport, and can go all day on those. I'm very interested in a comparison to help my decide which bike is best for me. My Yamaha dealer has sold out their allotment, but I can wait till the August shipments arrive if the bike is as good as it appears. I really wish I could test ride the bikes but here in New Hampshire, the only bikes you can test are Buell's, and whatever cruiser the dealers bring to bikeweek.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 04:56 PM   #68
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ1

I don't know how it sounds, but trust me, this inline-four WILL deliver massive torque...

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 07:01 PM   #69
3rdbike
Founding Member

Interesting to read all the comments from people wanting the FZ-1 to be something it's not. It's just another flavor of motorcycle, some will like it, some won't. Personally, I think this bike is gonna leave everything else in it's class in a big pile of has-beens. I have a buddy who is selling his 'perfect sport-touring' bike to get an FZ-1, so I'll get to ride it and see!
3rdbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 01:31 AM   #70
Janet
Founding Member

The Cagiva Raptor is a 1000, not a 900. It uses the TL1000S motor. I don't think you'll be getting it in the USA anyway - I suspect it wouldn't easily pass your various emissions and noise regulations. It makes a lovely noise on over-run ...

Even if you do ultimately get it in the USA I think it will be a lot dearer (by comparison with your other bike prices) than it is in the UK. Here it is notably cheaper than the TL1000S.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote