Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-15-2001, 12:43 PM   #51
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FZ-1 Sneaky Peaky/Passengers not wanted!

The FZ-1 is a good looking ultra-modern standard but I hope you like to "ride alone", that's one tiny passenger seat, well more like "PAD"!

I ride a 1980 GS1100E Suzuki, a true UJM, it's a "lot" more comfortable for 2-up than even the Bandit, which seems like your riding on the front wheel, the Yamaha might even feel worse. It's a comfortable sport bike, but it's not gona make anywhere near the "tourer" of true standards. JMHO.

motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2001, 12:51 PM   #52
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FZ-1 Sneaky Peaky

[MO quote: In a nutshell, the bike is fast. It feels substantially lighter and "zippier" than Suzuki's Bandit 1200S. But it may lag behind El Bandito in a few areas we'll delve into in the test. ]

I got a funny feeling that the the Bandit is gona have better overall "torque" and useable power in "real world riding" than the Yamaha and that "liteness" could be a disadvantage when being used a sport tourer! Be interesting to read the TEST and see where the FZ-1's faults are.
motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 12:55 PM   #53
Tristan7
Founding Member

Honda is still feeling dazed from the woeful sales of the CB-1, CB1000, and HawkGT. So, I imagine it'll take some impressive sales figures by the FZ to convince them to join the party.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 01:38 PM   #54
hubec
Founding Member

Default It Isn

Retuned would be a better term. It only looses 10hp and it makes more torque. Plus it has side-draft carbs which means the tank has more capacity in a smaller package. Regardless, 145hp is an ass-load of power, sure the R1 has a little bit more but 145 is enough for me. I agree that the 70lb weight gain is really annoying but if you look around all the other bikes in the same class weigh substantially more.
hubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 01:50 PM   #55
mark_l
Founding Member

Default Re: Seat height?

[[There are a couple of good reasons- #1 is ground clearance.]]

Meaning that you can lean the bike over more. How many people lean their bike all the way over on the street? This IS a street bike, isn't it?

mark_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:14 PM   #56
H1Rabbit
Founding Member

I'm anxious to see Honda's contribution also. It's supposed to be on its way for sure. Only problem is, Honda is not going to use the newer "929" power plant so I can't see comparable performance.
H1Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:58 PM   #57
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Read the MO article about it by blip. He lists all the things that are just a little 'off' about the bandit 1200. Don't get me wrong, I like the B12, but the FZ-1 just DOES it for me.
Old 02-15-2001, 03:06 PM   #58
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Seat height?

Doesn't everybody?! j/k

It's still nice to know that you CAN, isn't it?
Old 02-15-2001, 03:09 PM   #59
CBR1000F
Founding Member

My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-15-2001, 03:13 PM   #60
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: 50 lbs

Ugh! Bite your tongue.