Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-15-2001, 03:41 AM   #21
thehead
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FZ-1 Sneaky Peaky

I have no doubt the Yam will be a good bike. But peak hp numbers aren't everything. I'm curious to see how the torque on the Yam is compared to the B12. I saw one at the Dallas show and it looks lighter and should provide better ground clearance due to higher pegs than the B12. Still at the local track day, other than fellow racers on racebikes my own bone stock (even the tires) B12 beat on the sportbikes there easy. As they say, the rider is the thing that matters most. It's just nice to see another 'standard' come along that can embarrass squids on "faster" bikes.
thehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2001, 03:43 AM   #22
thehead
Founding Member

Put a slip-on and jet it with the airbox removed. Night and day! Also go to www.holeshot.com if you are looking to mod the bike any.
thehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 03:50 AM   #23
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default FZ1

I also can see myself buying a half faired bike in the next few years, to go along side my gixxer. I think it would have to be a twin though, Monster900, TLs, Superhawk, etc. This looks cool nonetheless, but I envision half faired bikes as twins or v-fours at least. Gotta have that mean sound and massive torque on one of these

RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 04:09 AM   #24
TBones
Founding Member

I'm already a member on the FZ1 site, I've got a deposit (first in line) on an FZ at the local dealer, and I can't wait for MO's full review.

After looking and looking, this is definitely the bike for me.

-Tom
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 04:18 AM   #25
TBones
Founding Member

Default CO Native

Where abouts in Colorado? I grew up on a ranch outside of Brighton (and graduated from CSU).

I'm very familiar with those unpaved roads! Of course, at the time, I had a Yamaha Enduro 360...

As for seat height (I have a deposit on an FZ1), I personally am glad it's tall (I'm 6'1"). I don't like sitting scrunched up, and I like the extra ground clearance.

-Tom
Old 02-15-2001, 04:18 AM   #26
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Yep since granted no one bike appeals to everybody or is even meant to, the only thing to discuss is whether it has enough appeal to make it against *direct* competition. The 600-class fulltilt sportbikes are NOT the direct competition to most prospective buyers, but any "sporting standard" of say 900-1200cc would be. That could be anything from the bigger Duc Monsters to the Triumph Speed Triple to the R1100 Beemer to the Bandit 1200 to the ZRX 1200. While you don't get the panache and legendary marque of certain Euros (some would call it snob appeal), IMO it does offer more eye candy than the other Japanese and is competent within it's class to say the least. That's all it takes to sell of bike of this genre --competence in all areas *and* curb appeal. The FZ1 has it. But make mine black.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 04:30 AM   #27
TBones
Founding Member

Default Naked Standard Comparo - Yes!

Most excellent suggestion. I'd love that as well.

-Tom
Old 02-15-2001, 04:48 AM   #28
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Interesting bike. Although I'll be buying the new GSXR1000, these bikes have an appeal to me for long-distance use. They remind me of my old '83 GS1100ES I rode one summer from So. Cal. to Colorado and back. I think Yamaha did a good job with this one, but could've done a little better. Why detune the motor? Having 2 similar motors with different parts inside, and a different outside finish costs more money in the long run, because you have to do the R&D on the cams etc., stock 2 diffrerent P/N's for all the different engine and chassis parts, etc. Also, why do you get the cheaper frame, brakes, and suspension units? Besides, is the new-found tourque really that noticeable with the 50 lbs or so added on? Why not just take all the same mechanical bits, put on a new 1/4 fairing, new top triple clamp (for regular bars), new pegs, side panels, and seat, and call it a day? I think the firmness of the stock suspension would be much more tolerable with a more comfortable riding position, and the better engine and brakes would be welcome. Maybe Suzuki will build one out or it's new 1000. Time will tell....
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 05:13 AM   #29
TBones
Founding Member

The changed tuning was to get the power band into more 'real world' ranges. Lowering the RPM's needed for decent goose around town is a good thing; I'm not sure how the torque will pan out with the added weight though. We'll see. Even with all that, the FZ1 power plant is not the de-tuned mistakes found in a lot of other standards. It's more "re-tuned."

As far as the frame and suspension components go, the reason is money. Yamaha needed to get the price down in the same range as other naked standards to compete well. The front brakes are taken straight off the R1, with slightly different pad material. (The rear disk is bigger than the R1's at 267mm, a change made due to the different weight distribution of the two bikes.)

-Tom
Old 02-15-2001, 05:18 AM   #30
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

FIFTY POUNDS?!?!?! What the freaking hell is this? Did they add lead to the R1 cases? Don't even try to tell me that a cheaper steel frame adds that much weight. Cast iron, maybe, but not tubular steel.

I still like the damned thing, but now I am afraid I will hear the "tuned for midrange torque" bull that means "25 less hp." Yeah, the R1 is known for having a weak midrange. I am really worried we will hear about a 500lb, 105hp, seriously comprimised quasi sportbike.

Why is this so hard?Give us full power and nice ergos. Pretty simple compared to a 5 valve head.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote