Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-14-2001, 03:44 PM   #11
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Seat height?

The FZ-1 looks like a good way for Yamaha to get back into the sport-standard market. However, one thing about the bike I think keeps it from being a good all-rounder: the seat height. The 32.3" seat height is significantly higher than other bikes in its class. It's 0.6" higher than the tall-but-narrow, 0.8" higher than the (similarly-shaped) ZR7, 1.2" higher than the Bandit line and the ZRX, and 1.6" higher than the Nighthawk 750. Is there a good reason for the high seat height? I'm 5'6", short but not tiny, and I still find a bike much more comfortable and practical if the seat height is between 30.5" and 31.5".
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2001, 03:51 PM   #12
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FZ-1 Sneaky Peaky

There is a few people standing inline for this bike at one of the local dealers. I was thinking of putting my name on the list but then I drove a new 1200 Bandit. I liked the new Bandit over the old and I guess I was tired of waiting. Tomorrow or the next day I'll pick up the new Bandit. Last week when I was there they didn't have any Bandits and there was one person on the list waiting for a red one. I was surprised to find out they got two in and both were available. The dealer has gotten several Bandits in and they haven't lasted over a week before being sold maybe once the FZ-1 comes in they won't go so quickly. This dealer sells all 4 Japanese bikes so you can compare the different bikes.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 03:53 PM   #13
Tristan7
Founding Member

Default Re: Seat height?

There are a couple of good reasons- #1 is ground clearance. Another is the fact that they're trying to sell to the average height rider, who is at least a few inches taller than you. It may be a pain mounting/dismounting and keeping the bike upright at slippery stoplights for shorter riders, but being higher up does have its advantages- like visibility,one of the reasons so many people buy SUVs.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 04:17 PM   #14
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default "I feel sorry for you, dude"

Don't feel sorry for me dude. I usually ride about 2 hours each day (broken up into about 20 minute blocks) and on the weekends I ride about 10 hours (if the weather is REALLY nice, maybe twice that). My current ride is an F3 that I've had about 4 years. In the past, I've owned Suzuki Bandits, Honda Interceptors and Nighthawks, and a couple of Harleys. The F3 is my favorite ride by far. I'm a short person so sport bike ergos don't bother me a bit, even on 8+ hour rides. The payoff of better handling, braking, even roll on speeds (when you downshift smoothly), and overall protection from the elements make 600 cc scoots better for me. Don't get me wrong, I do like the FZ-1 a lot. I hope Yamaha sells lots of them. But for me, I can't see how the extra dough is justified for maybe only better roll on performance when you don't want to downshift. But to each and their own of course. See you on the asphalt rivers dude!
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 04:20 PM   #15
motorpsyche
Founding Member

I usually ride about 2 hours each day (broken up into about 20 minute blocks) and on the weekends I ride about 10 hours (if the weather is REALLY nice, maybe twice that). My current ride is an F3 that I've had about 4 years. In the past, I've owned Suzuki Bandits, Honda Interceptors and Nighthawks, and a couple of Harleys. The F3 is my favorite ride by far. I'm a short person so sport bike ergos don't bother me a bit, even on 8+ hour rides. The payoff of better handling, braking, even roll on speeds (when you downshift smoothly), and overall protection from the elements make 600 cc scoots better for me. Don't get me wrong, I do like the FZ-1 a lot. I hope Yamaha sells lots of them. But for me, I can't see how the extra dough is justified for maybe only better roll on performance when you don't want to downshift. But to each and their own of course.
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 04:39 PM   #16
B1200S
Founding Member

Looks like a pretty cool bike. You might tell by my name that I have a Bandit 1200S (2001). I love it. I've had it since October. Got the second one in Austin, Tx......they go like hot cakes. I like the Fazer and thought about waiting for it but the Bandit track record is pretty good over the last few years. Only thing I don't like about the Fazer is the fairing looks a little like a hammer head but I like the silver engine. Should be comprable to the Bandit.

B1200S
B1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 06:19 PM   #17
fz1
Founding Member

'bout the only thig comparable to the B12 is that they both have two wheels! Seriously, a 50lb weight difference with 15-25 more HP will generate significantly better numbers for the Yammi. I think a sport-tourer (NOT a knee scraper) with this power/weight, wind protection, large fuel capacity, and ergos will be a real hit; the B12 and to a lesser extent the ZRX prove the viability of this market. The sv650 and the new XR-7s show that there is another level to this growing market.
fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 07:12 PM   #18
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Seat height?

For me, riding in rural colorado (where many roads are dust-and-sand-covered, if not flat-out unpaved), it is a major concern--especially for a short guy like me. However, for an average-height rider in a more urban setting, I see where it wouldn't be an issue (I've ridden a CBR on city streets and didn't find seat height to be an issue, but I wouldn't choose that bike for the tertiary roads where I like to ride).

If Yamaha decides to make and import an FZ-6, I hope they put a lower seat height on it. I'll still probably go with a Nighthawk as my next bike because of the ultra-low-maintainence costs (hydraulically adjusting valves), but when I'm finally out of college and got college loans paid off, something like an FZ-6 would be sweet (I'm not too into liter-sized bikes).

I still applaud Yamaha for all they've done to improve the standards market, though the FZ1 isn't right for me.

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:30 AM   #19
sportrdr
Founding Member

Default Re: "I feel sorry for you, dude," he should

Motorpsyche, "Roll-ons" by definition don't involve smoothly downshifting. That is called DOWNSHIFTING to the power peak. A "roll-on" is just that, rolling-on the throttle WITHOUT downshifting. Get a clue. 600's will NEVER touch litre class bikes for roll-on torque.
sportrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:31 AM   #20
sportrdr
Founding Member

Add a Triumph Speed triple to that test.

sportrdr is offline   Reply With Quote