Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: Not so fast there Yamaha R6!

And in NYC they ara charging over msrp for them.Betcha it,s based on the rev limit.Shame.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
obandoj
Founding Member

Same old story, crankshaft horsepower, wet weight, fuel milage, top speed, speedo accuracy, blah, blah.......Oh, MSRP and invoice price...Oh, finance figures....
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
Haird
Founding Member

Since when do marketing and PR talk to engineers?
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
Haird
Founding Member

So the redline is only 16,200? I can see why they'd be ashamed to admit that.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Haird
Founding Member

Nah, the gov underestimates everything -- the deficit, the cost of Medicare Part D, inflation, unemployment, civilian casualties in Iraq ...
Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #16
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Where is MO's review?

Motorcycle Daily and Motorcycle USA didn't ride them either. They bought the stories from other journalists who were invited. There were no US internet sites in attendance at any of the Japanese OEM overseas intros last fall.

As for the CBR 1000RR, I rode it in mid-December and should have had the story up before Christmas. However, I am struggling with a few issues and working on a re-write. (No excuse, my fault entirely.)

-Sean
Old 02-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #17
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: Yamaha R6 Falls Short of Claimed Redline.

it is quite posible the bike actually does have a 17500rpm red line, as this figure is more an theroretical measure of how fast an engine can spin with out damaging itself either through detonation, or simply too much reciprocating mass: ie floating a valve.

The rev limiter is on the other hand is an electrical nanny whose sole purpose in life besides scheduling up close and personal meetings tween the boys and your gas tank when in an overzealous wheelie, is to prevent you from damaging the engine should you shift late and blow right past the "redline" into engine damage territory.

I would go so far as to guess that yamaha not only knows the tachs are off, but engineered them that way, in this fashion they have built in a "soft rev limiter @ 1300 rpm below redline, which although seems like a large # is only 7.5 %, not a lot at all especially considering the way this thing snaps the tach around.

I would guess that with the proper black box you can back off the nanny and get your full 17500, but there is probably a flat spot there anyways.

Imho at a price of 9 grand the thing is pretty amazing in the bang for the buck department. besides, a little safety margin at those revs is probably a good thing, I know the thought of having any motorcycle I own, much less one I'm riding suffer catastrophic engine failure does not exite me!
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #18
rsk173
Founding Member

get a life, both of you.
rsk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Jeez do you have a tuning fork tattooed to your ass or what?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

This has been going on for years. They used to do it to keep idiots from overrvving and creating crankshaft salad. Even though they now have rev limiters they still have a huge supply of tachs and speedos in the warehouse.

My truck also is exactly 2 mph fast at most speeds. I think they do this to keep the fed regulators at bay.

Even better. My 91 Suzuki has a speedo that gets ever more optimistic as you go faster. At indicted 80 I'm doing 72 actual. At indicated 90 I'm doing 80 actual. Even more suspicious is that the tach and speedo are exactly equal in optimism. Coincidence?