Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-03-2001, 08:03 PM   #11
slider
Founding Member

Default Re: 600 Shootout!!

If you go to Europe, or even upstairs to Canada, you will see a different (and sometimes wider) selection of standard bikes, "sporty" bikes, and even sportbikes. I guess that's cause these bikes are no match for the American public's Harley love affair. Has anyone seen the Yamaha France catalogue? Check out the Fazer 600, FJR1300, TDM850, TT600 (enduro), and even a 125 cruiser! I'm not kidding! And it's the same with other manufacturers too. People have different expectations and different preferences in different parts of the world.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2001, 08:21 PM   #12
slider
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Gary McCoy!

It's that sliding style used by Eddie Lawson and other American riders that revolutionized motorcycle racing. They brought dirt racing skills to the pavement. Before that people thought the best way to corner was to brake into it, lean down, and throttle your way out of it. That wouldn't work in the dirt very well. But depending on the straightaway-turn pattern of a particular road racetrack if you could slide around as you brake and accelerate you can actually outcorner a rider who's leaned over more than you. Same thing with a car and using its parking brakes to lock the back wheels to induce a controlled skid so that you can sweep hairpins. If it's done wrong, it takes more time than not sliding at all. And it's 10 times more fun to slide a streetbike on dry pavement then not to slide it. Or even a dirtbike on the street, like in motard. You have to know the limits of when the slide would end up a in a crash. You have to make the tires work with you, letting it slide when you want it to and not letting it slide when you don't. Otherwise, it won't work. That's what makes it so interesting. But I guess it depends on one's racing style.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 11:07 PM   #13
Azrifel
Founding Member

That Fazer 600 is exactly what I am talking about. I've got one (2001 S version) myself. Its a cheaper more flexy frame with a Thundercat based engine, build for more midrange (62Nm torque at the backwheel). Carbon race can. The suspension is cheaper and you can only adjust preload. The swingarm is from a FZR1000 and the brakes (calippers, outer disk, pads) are the same as on the R1 / R6. It stands on D207's and its so much fun!

I don't need a R6 because its a wast of money on our roads (you don't need the trick suspension or the last few horsies they can get from the engine) and I don't get the chance to ride on tracks.

On www.yme.com you can find the European range of Yamaha.
Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 11:20 PM   #14
Azrifel
Founding Member

No I am not saying that, but wasn't the 600 shootout about cheaper 600 alternatives or was somebody telling me crap again?

I love the R6 (and the ZX-6R), but for me its overkill, I could only use 30% of the bike's capabilities because I nerver come on tracks.

Fortunately we have many twisty roads around.

And I do know that you get the best in 600 supersports, just like we get. So what I was trying to say is that the Yamaha FZS600S Fazer is the best thing after the 600 supersports, but that you unfortunately only get the FZS1000 Fazer, wich probably is the best thing after an R1 (or GSX-R1000/ CBR929 / 996 /SP1 etc).

Old 02-05-2001, 02:45 AM   #15
Pulse
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha

Juan Borja is Riding with Privateer R7, He was way off the pace at Kyalami...

Yamaha Is gonna be very strong in the GPs, But will have no riders for a Four-Stroke bike in 2002
Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 05:08 AM   #16
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha

Hey Everybody!

No need to wait for the MO 600cc test anymore. Cycle News, Roadracing World and Superbike all have theirs in print.

So much for the speedy internet.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 07:04 AM   #17
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha in WSBK

Harley is going to race in WSBK (World Superbike, or really WSC World Superbike Championship), really? I'd look around the sites for information on this, but I'm sure there is none, because Harley probably isn't even approved for use in WSC.

Maybe you're thinking of the AMA SBK series. But then I'll let you go find the details on that.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 11:08 AM   #18
Azrifel
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha in WSBK

by dean adams

Rumors in Italy have it that there are two bidders for what remains of

the Bimota factory, assets and motorcycles.

After a closed court meeting in late January it is rumored the two

final bidders are a group of Americans, including possibly the

importer, and a French concern.

The Americans are offering five and a half million US, while the

French are offering seven million, yet the Americans have a letter of

credit from a bank while the French do not (again, all according to

well-placed Italian sources).

I don't know on wich site it was, because I've got it from someone who is awaiting his 500cc 2 stroke V-due Evo (for racing in a dutch open series) and he didn't tell.