Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 08-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #51
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: On the 8th day God created the V-Max

SAAB Sonnets and the like in the 70's had V-4's as well as the original Ford Capri.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #52
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: On the 8th day God created the V-Max

If you're going to copy my posts you'll have to get old and grumpy first. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #53
blitz
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul was right,Take that back 90 deg V-4 is narrower and has perfect primary bal

Hi Van,

My kinematics book is in my attic, but I think you can have perfect primary balance with a 90 degree V6, or any V configuration with an even number of cylinders.

As I recall, primary balance has to do with the center of gravity not moving as an engine runs. A 90 degree V with 90 degree crank pins will not have its CG changed. (I just drew this out, and with crank pins 90 degrees apart, this holds true.)

Adding cylinders won't change the CG of the engine. If a 90 degree v twin has perfect primary balance, adding cylinders in multiples of two won't change the CG. It will, however, add rocking moments, therefor not providing secondary or higher order balance.

I'll caveat this again by "I think." It's been 22 years since I took kinematics, but I paid attention that day because it actually hit on something i was interested in. That was the one fact that stuck with me.

Thanks.

blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #54
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul was right,Take that back 90 deg V-4 is narrower and has perfect primary bal

I believe that you are right about the secondary rocking couple ( as a long time BMW rider I of all people should have factored that in) however I am at a loss to explain why a 60 degree V6 with 120 crank throws is so much smoother than a 90 degree V6 if the primary balance is perfect and only the secondary balance spoils the smoothness. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #55
gmeline
Founding Member

Default Re: New V max in 2007?

Saw it at the Tokyo motorshow. Also, there's an article with pics on it in one of the more popular bike mags here in Japan (in Japanese, of course). 1800cc and pretty killer looking. Much less cruiser, more like the MT. Personally, I like the old one (get them while they last) for looks with some performance upgrades to boot.
gmeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #56
dmiller779
Registered Member

Default Re: New V max in 2007?

The 2005 Tokyo Motor Show isn't until October 21 so I assume that you saw it at the 2004 show. This is the first that I hear about Yamaha displaying the new 1800 V-Max. Can you provide a link so I can check it out?

Regards,

Doug
dmiller779 is offline   Reply With Quote