Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 08-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #21
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Educate me please.

So yes if you are a Mechanical or Automotive or Engine Engineer please feel free to correct, criticize me etc. I make up most of this BS off the top of my head.. So educate me please. My ego can take it...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #22
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Correction according to the Innnernet (country twang) flat fours are God's chosen cfg

The benefit of using an horizontally opposed engine versus a V engine is that it provides perfect balance because each piston's movement is exactly counterbalanced by the corresponding piston movement of the opposite side. These engines can run perfectly smooth and free of vibrations with a four-stroke cycle, regardless of number of cylinders, and do not require the counterweights on the crankshaft to balance the weight of the reciprocating parts which are required in other engine configurations.</a>
Old 08-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #23
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Never mind blitz

Never mind found the truth on the Innernet (twang)..
Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #24
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default KPaul was right,Take that back 90 deg V-4 is narrower and has perfect primary balance

The earliest VF series engine was designated the V45 for its size (45 in³ or 748 cc), was very narrow being only 16 inches (406 mm) wide, and had perfect primary balance making for a smooth, vibration-free engine. A smaller V30 (500 cc) engine and a larger V65 (1100 cc) engine were also available, the latter becoming known as the fastest production bike in its time, and the original competition for the famous Yamaha V-Max."

Blitz I love it when I am right...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #25
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: New V max in 2007?

Heretic!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #26
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul was right,Take that back 90 deg V-4 is narrower and has perfect primary bal

The V-Max has a 70 degree spread between the cylinder banks, and therefore lacks the inherent primary balance of the Honda's 90 degree lay out. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #27
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I don't know. Yamaha seems to sell pretty much all of their V-Max bikes. It's a cash cow for heaven's sake and in the Japanese motorcycle market, that's a rare thing indeed. I don't think Yam will make radical changes to the V-Max when that product is selling well. Anyway, it works for Harley (sorry, I couldn't resist incorporating Harley into this discussion!) Just my 2 centavos.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #28
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul was right,Take that back 90 deg V-4 is narrower and has perfect primary bal

Thanks V...
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #29
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: On the 8th day God created the V-Max

I believe there were a couple V4 diesels in the mid/late '80s, but h311 if I can remember who and what models right now...

Is the new Liberty Diesel and I or V, anybody?

Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #30
Grum
Registered Member

Congratulations and welcome to the First Post Club. You membership is even more valued since you got it without anything worthwhile to say.