Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Yamaha News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/yamaha-news/)
-   -   Yamaha R1 Vs. FZ1 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/yamaha-news/2758-yamaha-r1-vs-fz1.html)

staff 04-24-2005 07:31 AM

Re: Yamaha R1 Vs. FZ1

Grum is a loser!

Fenton 04-24-2005 08:41 AM

This sounds a little bit like, "It ain't the tool." Being 6'3" the FZ-1 would be the obvious choice for a one bike stable. Take the $2500 you save on buying the FZ-1, set the bike up exactly the way you want, spend the rest on track days and proper instruction. For the average rider (me) learning to ride properly on a FZ-1 will always be faster than using 48% of a R1's potential.

Now, if I could just find a way to get really good at being 5'9", I would already own the R1.

sarnali 04-24-2005 08:46 AM

Re: Ummmm.....second post!!!

The R1 has got to be one of the finest looking sport bikes ever, pure eye candy. Given my style and type of riding the FZ1 would be my only choice. In fact it came out a few months after I bought my Bandit, if it would have been available when I was shopping It would have been a tough call.

I'll give my favorite dead horse another whack and point out that the Japanese should be building bikes along these lines like this FZ1, Bandit, Z-REX and 919 instead of neo-retro-bargo cruisers. Maybe I'll have to vote with my wallet and get an FZ1 next, that really is a nice blue they use.

sv1000rider 04-24-2005 09:01 AM

I lust after the R1! And the insurance quotes in the article are outrageous! My insurance company has those rates beat by hundreds of dollars per year for the older rider. You do have to shop around to find the best rates.

jungkvist 04-24-2005 12:07 PM

Shooting my mouth off, on the way out the door.

I'm heading out the door, so I just caught the first paragraph. That doesn't matter much, anyway; this one's a no brainer. The squids can spray all the ink they want; I've ridden them both and it's the FZ1, by a mile. In a one to one comparison - where each bike's overall abilities are considered - right off the top of my head, I can't come up with a bike that beats the FZ1 in the do-everything catagory.

nbyers 04-24-2005 01:02 PM

Yamaha R1 Vs. FZ1

This sounds a little bit like, "It ain't the tool."

Being 5'9" the R1 would be the obvious choice for a one bike stable. Work a few Saturdays to earn the additional $2500 need to buy the R1, set the bike up exactly the way you want by moving the stock suspension adjusters, spend the week breathless and the weekends at track days. For the average rider (me) learning to ride properly on an R-1 will always be impossible.

Now, if I could just find a way to get really good at being 6'3", I would already own the FZ1.

Another great article, guys. And props to Fenton for the prose.

sethpa 04-24-2005 01:31 PM

When are you guys going to spring for a decent scale and post some "actual" ready to ride weights on your test machines?

Other than that, good stuff...

sethpa

longride 04-24-2005 01:40 PM

ZRex vs. FZ1??

How does the ZRX compare to the FZ1? I think that would be a classic naked shootout along with a Speed 3 and 919. I'm chomping at the bit for a new bike this year, and one of this bunch may be it.

nbyers 04-24-2005 02:02 PM

ZRex vs. FZ1??

Sheesh, longride, these are truly four great bikes. Performance wise, there's probably not much to separate them. I'd personally rank them:

4. 919 just because it's too understated. Great bike for short people, but the choice of asphalt gray or matte blechh-I mean black?

3. FZ1 because I'm short. Freakin' fabulous bike, though. Almost bought one.

2. ZRX great ergos for me personally, supposed to be a bit lardy and old-style chassis, but I doubt if I would ever work it hard enough to notice.

1. Speed Triple. 2005 version or the '99 to '04 version. I've always had a woody for the all-black version that came out in '99, and the bodywork revision in '02 left me unimpressed, but they're all charismatic bikes and the new one is supposed to be fantastic. Be interesting to see what the MOrons think about it.

You're relatively tall, so the FZ1 would be the ticket.......

OR how about a TUONO??? Would your license survive? Would it be worth it anyway?

seruzawa 04-24-2005 02:41 PM

Re: ZRex vs. FZ1??

How would my license survive ANY of them? I get in enough trouble already with my old 100hp boat anchor Suzuki.

The little voice in my head says, "Speed Triple... Speed Triple... Speed Triple....." An S3 and a leather Rocker jacket with a big Union Jack on it. My oh my.

But the FZ1 is tempting as hell. Definitely more attractive to me than the ZRX or 919.

Tough choice.