Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 04-25-2005, 03:23 AM   #21
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha R1 Vs. FZ1

Being old and living where I do, I could afford a new bike every other year compared with you poor SoCal youngsters. Hurry up and get old and move to the sticks. And ride something that isn't crashed or stolen on a regular basis.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: ZRex vs. FZ1??

The Speed 3 might be a tough find this year. Went to the local Triumph dealer and asked if they had any. They already sold the first three and he said the next one coming in is spoken for. He said I could possibly have a shot at the one coming in after that, but he didn't know when that would be. They did have a few Rocket 3's hanging around. I'm going ride one of those again next week. Love the power of that thing.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 AM   #23
jungkvist
Founding Member

At around 450lbs, it seems kinda harsh calling the FZ1 a heavy-weight. But since I'm using my old CBR1000F as a point of reference, that probably explains things. I'm really getting to like MO's out-there comparos (i.e. VFR vs Concours) to put things into perspective; God knows, most of us can use more of that.

Stressing the differences between what you want, what you really need and what it's going to cost, is a great idea. It's way too easy to be hypnotized by speed and numbers; pitting the R1 against the FZ1 puts things in stark relief. After all, most of us only have a one-bike stable.

BTW, you're right about passenger accomodations. Unless you're traveling less than fifty miles nobody should ever take their girlfriend, to meet their mom, on a R1. She'll end up looking like a bull dog, becasue of the wind-blast against the front of the helmet - and probably real-b!tchy, becasue of the seat.

Great piece!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:42 AM   #24
peepshow
Registered Member

Default Re: ZRex vs. FZ1??

I've gotta say I think Kawi's relatively new Z1000 would be a better bike to test against the FZ, 919 and S3 than the ZRX.

It's(Z1000) certainly faster than the 919 and should easily keep up with the FZ in the twisties. The S3 is tough competition, but at about $2K more, that's to be expected...

Old 04-25-2005, 06:22 AM   #25
drthompson65
Founding Member

I recently picked up a new Ducati 999. I was shocked at the quotes I got on the new crop of liter bikes (1500 to 2500 a year). I'm 40 years old, married, 2 kids, house, minivan, cat, goldfish and overweight by 20lbs. On the Ducati I'm 350 dollars a year! When asked what's up my agent told me that demographics on a "High end" sport bikes simply shows they aren't wrecked nearly as much or as fast as a new GIXXER (I read on one web site of a kid who couldn't even get the bike home before he did something dumb and wrecked it - also read of kids paying 5k a year just to ride a 10k sportbike). Also the demographics on my age group/experience shows we don't wreck nearly as much (normal quotes on a new R1, GSXR, RR or ZX is over 2500 a year and I was down to 1500). Like everyone here I agree at that insurance rate I would go with the FZ1, deck it out with the money I saved on insurance (or go get a Ducati).
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #26
kowalke67
Founding Member

2006 FZ1:

- Current generation R1 engine tuned for mid-range torque (138 bhp @ (around) 9000 rpm, 77 ft lbs torque @ (around)8500 rpm)

- Fuel injection

- Aluminum frame

- Wet weight 465 lbs

- Inverted fully adjustable fork

- Raise foot pegs 10 mm

- MSRP $8800

Would you buy it?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #27
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

WTF is a dag? Enough of this Ausie gibberish, you're posting on an American website. Please speak english. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:59 AM   #28
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Hell yes, I'd buy one...

I might own a 2003, now - if it weren't for the a$$hole sales-manager, who seemed to think that list-price was an article of faith. The FZ1 is a compromise, but it's a damn-good one. Give it a higher windshield and soft luggage; it can do just-about anything you'd want a street bike to do. Beyond that lays the V-Stroms and the rest of the "adventure" bikes.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #29
travisyoung
Founding Member

I was shocked by the rates on even an SV650...about 5x$ my Guzzi for the same coverage. These exotic Italian motorcycles almost pay for themselves if you count the insurance.
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #30
nokneedragin
Founding Member

So thats how I can justify some eyetalian eye candy to put in the garage. Double the cost but 1/5 the insurance rate. Cool, thanks.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote